It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying campaign - Right or Wrong?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Would love to see some teachers respond to this.

What kinds of things have you, and your school, been promoting concerning bullying?
How are bullies treated now compared to when you where a kid?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I was frequently bullied in school until I developed muscles around the age of 14 and then things changed. Most of the bullies had huge egos and their egos were constantly fed. The majority were products of narcissism.

But, as far as bullies go, I firmly believe the only way to combat them is to pop them in the mouth. It works. I would only advise physical retaliation to repeat offenders (bullies). My youngest son is constantly getting bullied now. The school can't stop it and the parents can't control their child. I feel the only way this child will stop bullying my son is if A) the child changes school districts, where he will probably still be a bully and B) if my son pops him in the mouth/nose enough times the bully will get sick of getting beat up.

The anti bullying campaign is a good thing. But, they should also preach self defense to the kids getting bullied. Physical altercations many times is the only way to get a bully to stop. It's sad but true.
edit on 8-2-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

While you are correct for the most part, you cant also teach the kids that when you are a grown up its also okay to punch a dude (that totally desirves it) in the face, because you will get arrested.

The system thats in place to stop bullying does some good, i would rather see the system get better, rather than the kids having to fight fire with fire.

Sorta since the gov loves mind control so much they arnt all over this, though mabey like surgested thats on purpose, couldnt have everything too shiney now could we, who would the cops beat up

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I am all for it...

I was once grabbed by four football players who tried to stuff me in a garbage can, unfortunately for them I am one hell of a good wrestler! One got kicked over a table, one got his ear twisted til he screamed and the others ended up on the ground. They never did get me in the can that day and never tried again. I even gained a few compliments from the event.

it was still utterly humiliating to recognize I was, in their eyes, someone worthy of being "trashed"....

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

How do we make the system better though? Many bullies are repeat offenders and continue to be bullies their whole lives. Detention, ISS, Suspension from the school district, these things often don't work. Granted some bullies do grow up But I firmly believe a good ass whoopin for some bullies will set them straight. To whoop on a bully would be putting them in the shoes of those they bully, it gives them another perspective. If they get sick of being beaten and ridiculed then maybe the will stop beating and ridiculing others. Just my thoughts.

ETA: Thermo Klein: I've seen that video before! I love it. And I bet that bully hasn't bullied the other kid since he whooped on him.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

okay hows this off the top of my head: 3 strikes for legitimate unprovoked bulling equals mandatory militry service out of school.

You lack disapline, and you want us to let you loos eon everyone?

No no young cadet, you are going to get what you need, DISCAPLINE!
....and the country gets what it wants from its education: a worthy citezen.

how thats? right on the spot?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Yes! I'd agree with that. I would dish out some form of milder punishment for the 2nd strike though, perhaps community service with a pink shirt on in public for all to see. Than the 3rd strike would warrant what you suggested. They would learn discipline and earn an education, however.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Glad you agree.

Getting punched in the face by a boy half your side infront of the school WOULD be the best thing to do howevcer, its not somthing you want to encourage in a place for learning lessons in life.

Sure you defend yourself on the street, but do you punch a "adult bully" and enbarress him in front of his mates when theres a perfectly good policeman to do it "the lawful way"?

i think ive made my point now

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
reply to post by popsmayhem

Pops this is a great post.... I too was targeted by bullies in high School..

I defended myself and wound up with three days of suspension.. but you know what after that I wasn't messed with because I had a back bone...

And I had people like yourself rushing to my defense... Since I stood my ground, and proved my worth.

and you are right.... This was over 14 years ago.. and I still remember who helped me out and their names and what they look like!
edit on 8-2-2012 by DrNotforhire because: (no reason given)

My 9 year old is currently in a bullying situation at school. He's been verbally attacked the first time around. My son got suspended for defending himself verbally. (He mentioned he'd shoot at the kid since the other child told him he'd stalk him; come to his house and beat him with a baseball bat).

2nd time was about a week ago, 3 boys were pushin and shoving him.

Both times; my son tried to go the "school's route". Now he's sick of it; his father and I both told him that if he's going to get suspended at least make it worth his while. If he's hit again; he's to hit back. Maybe they will step back and think about their actions since the "talks" with the principal haven't worked.

In all of these instances, my son was the only one suspended out of the group. Go figure.

A_L

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Bullying needs to have a SOLID and agreed upon definition.

That bullying kid in the video... he's a bully, straight out. He's punching the other kid, trying to alienate him, trying to look good in front of his friends, taking out aggression, making his place. And it's wrong! That kid needs to be put it his place either by a body slam with a knee injury ... or way better, counseling! ( I know Conservative Republicans are gonna jump all over this, but hear me out for a sec...)

If that bully kid could be in a counseling session with someone he trusts he would be able to discuss his anxiety, his inadequacy, his home abuse issues if any exist, his need to hurt others. A lot can be addressed through therapy. and if he doesn't get it when he's 13 he's sure as hell gonna need it when he's 35 or 45! That bully kid needs help to get his worldview straight, find out what's acceptable, find out what alienates him, etc.

edit on 8-2-2012 by Thermo Klein because: relevent typo

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

The police don't always help. THere was an instance when I was picked on by a group of blacks. The police were called and they said there was nothing they would do because it would put their officers in danger. SO, the best thing to do would have been to whoop those individuals in front of their peers because the police wanted nothing to do with it. MY girlfriends house sustained damage from rocks being thrown and the police would not press charges at all, on anyone. SO, they deserved to get a butt whoopin. They were bullies and probably still are today, probably a majority of them now have prison bitches.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Anti-Bullying campaign - Right or Wrong?

There have been anti-bullying campaigns in the past... just like those to stop drug abuse, drunk driving and STDs. They come and they have a modest effect... but then, society tires of the subject and so do those pushing the matter. It slowly dissipates and things return to what could be called 'normal' under whatever circumstances are left in their wake.

Every kid experiences a bully in school... mostly boys but girls are becoming more violence prone since they have been slowly migrated away from being the kinder, gentler and the more nurturing of the species. Girls are no longer the keepers of common sense for the boys to eventually follow.

edit on 8-2-2012 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

What if those bullies are a product of narcissism? Most of the bullies I've ever encountered lived better off than most, had lots of friends, all the girls wanted them, etc. I do believe most bullies are narcissist and a product of narcissism. They need their butts handed to them in a dramatic fashion.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

what your surgesting though only happens to apply to those capable of fighting back and winning and proving the point.

WHat if they try to do that and end off far worsly beaten (just the invitation the bully is looking for in the first place)

Thats not how you fight a war on bullying and violence to young people

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Well, if they are far worsely beaten then there would be incarceration time, which probably wouldn't happen under other circumstances, and also probably restitution, ie. doctors bills, etc.

Eye for an Eye, tooth for a tooth.

Turning the other cheek has failed soo many times... and I used to advocate it.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

by "badly beaten" i mean both mental and pysical, not all visable and as easy treatable.

Being called a horrible word knowing the person saying it means it in the worst way, for years, thats worse than a black eye any day in my book.

how do you stand upto a bully abusing you with their words if you are not intellectually superior enough to be able to do so?

suddenly the punch in the face route crumbles and leaves the silent sufferers, to suffer

edit on 8-2-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I was bullied beyond reason as a kid. I was several times smarter than the other kids and better looking too. I made them feel inferior and ugly. I got all the girls and the guys hated me for it. I was better than they were and they knew it and they did their best to keep me down. It worked. Today I have no idea how to interact with other adults and as a consequence can't make it in the business world. I think about what I could have been if I had been included and allowed to learn how to be a part of a team. I could have been the president. But I do not know how to bs in the backroom. I have no connection with other people and honestly can't understand how to be part of a group. It is foreign to me. All because a bunch of stupid kids loved to beat me every single day.

You have no idea what it is like to be separated from your classmates and singled out for ridicule. From the 3rd grade on I never once got to eat lunch with other people. In the 5th and 6th grade I was put into the teacher's coatroom in the office and forbidden from interacting with anyone. The only attention I got in school was my daily paddling at the beginning of school each morning. Why? They told me I would do something to deserve it so they should go ahead and get it out of the way.

They bullying stopped when I started shooting at my bullies. I was determined to kill the sources of my torment. Then I got big and they did not. I put one bully in the hospital for 6 months after missing him with my .22 magnum twice.

Bullies made me the man I am today. One who shuns people, loves solitude, and can be a stone cold killer if pushed just a little. Then I needed friends and interaction. Now it's best to leave me alone, it could be dangerous to be around me and say the wrong thing.

Bullies should be identified at a young age and separated from others and taught how to be compassionate. if that fails a trip to the gas chamber at the local dog shelter should be in order. Not to watch, to be put in. I have no sympathy for a bully. No compassion and no mercy. they are dogs and deserve a fate worse than the rabid monsters they are.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Maybe the problem would be solved if the victims were allowed to fight back without fear of suspension or expulsion.
Such a strange concept, isn't it, to be able to fight back. Knowing that if someone throws a punch at you , you can throw one right back at them, and the person who threw the first punch gets the punishment, rather than both. Where is the common sense when the victim must just stand still screaming "I need an adult" as some other kid pounds the heck out of them because they fear being suspended for protecting themselves.
I don't have kids, but if I ever do (and they aren't home-schooled) I'm teaching them how to fight and that they will never look for fights, but will always fight back.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by insanedr4gon

legitamsing the "no they started it" defence for the bullys is also a no go.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join