It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I need a google gmail account to join youtube. lame

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Cant believe it. i want to join youtube so I can upload a video on to ATS and i have to join gmail. i simply cant believe it. lameo [unless i got it all wrong which is possible].

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
it's owned by google

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
yeah, and this mobile number feature is cool, too. sometimes, when you log in, they ask for your mobile number, the button to skip this feature and proceed to your account is small and hard to find. very tricky.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This is outrageous! I simply can’t believe it. I actually can not join YouTube unless I make a Google account.

is there a way around this?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
it's owned by google

I appreciate that info, but ,so what? its wrong to make you join google in order to join youtube.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Its all part of this new privacy/piracy thing, I'm personally very skeptical. It seems that they want to get some kind of universal internet ID that catalogues your browsing. Seems a little too 1984 for me, getting a bit worried with whats happening with the internet, its as if they've worked out what a giant threat it is. People can actually RELEASE INFORMATION on their OWN!

SCARY (for the tyrannical people who control the flow of information worldwide)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I agree. its all too much. like being forced to join or get lost.

any way at all to join and not create a google account? i want to embed a video on ATS.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

This is outrageous! I simply can’t believe it. I actually can not join YouTube unless I make a Google account.

Why not just.. make a google account?

It's not the end of the world or anything.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Why not just.. make a google account?

It's not the end of the world or anything.

This is the second day in a row you have posted wind up/troll messages to me. i shall now report you.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I must say, when I wanted to set up a Gmail account I wasn't too impressed to find that they would only allow me to proceed if I gave a mobile number.

Regarding the OP, I think its billed as a simpler way to move between Google and Youtube if you have a gmail account - matter of opinion but in this instance, does it really matter? I mean, if they actually asked you to set up a youtube.com email address would you think twice? Yet it would still, to all intents and purposes still be a Gmail account.

Google ultimately want you to use THEIR email addresses - thats understandable from a business point of view - the harder they make it to use other email providers, the more customers they get.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
asking for the mobile number is staggering. if you dont have one?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

This is the second day in a row you have posted wind up/troll messages to me. i shall now report you.

What on earth.

Maybe you need to read my above post again since It's quite obvious you've misunderstood. I was asking a question since I don't see any reason why you don't just make a Google account and then join youtube. Like I said above, It's not the end of the world or anything. I've done it before and so has everyone else on there.

If you want to alert me, please by all means go ahead and do it. But you should probably wait for me to break a rule first of all. You can't just alert people because you don't like them or because they said something you might disagree with, it doesn't quite work like that I'm afraid.

edit on 8-2-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids

Originally posted by wlord
it's owned by google

I appreciate that info, but ,so what? its wrong to make you join google in order to join youtube.

no not really, they own it , they can do w/e they want.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

The logic google uses by forcing people to create an "email" account to use youtube... is the equivalent of making someone obtain a driving license to sell alcohol in a store!

I don't think websites which offer a whole range of completely different services should be linked together. The accounts should be seperated for many reasons, mostly to do with privacy issues.

It's a racketeering attempt so people effectively get forced into using a gmail account when they want to take part in sites such as youtube, or google+, it makes some people think... "well, i'd just as well use google email seeing as they are forcing me", and thus forcing people into using gmail with several other accounts all tied together.

Huge invasion of privacy, as i believe nothing should be linked together with an online identity (at least, not forcefully). Even if you do nothing out of the ordianry, all of your data ends up in one single easy to harvest location, be it criminals or police... they can get to know every single thing about you because of linked web accounts.

You don't have to use the gmail-email service to use youtube, but don't get suckered into actually using it.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Listen! There are ways around. Open an account..create a second mail with a different screen name...put no info into it.

Create an email at say YAHOO....join GOOGLE with it..DONT ever use it...keep it totally separate from who you really are. Simple.

We have all created 2nd accounts for stuff. Just keep everything separate and put no personal stuff of your identity in it.

Im surprised you didnt think of it yourself...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind
reply to post by Rising Against

The logic google uses by forcing people to create an "email" account to use youtube... is the equivalent of making someone obtain a driving license to sell alcohol in a store!

Dont agree with that analogy i'm afraid - remember its not to use youtbue (ie view - which is free for anyone to do) but to upload content - now in fairness, they need to have some form of control / record to allow this - to prevent people uploading harmful / illegal / offensive material. Needing an email address is quite reasonable.

I don't think websites which offer a whole range of completely different services should be linked together. The accounts should be seperated for many reasons, mostly to do with privacy issues.

It's done under the guise of making things easier - again, you would have to admit that for the vast majority of users, this would be true - and therefore a beneficial option.

It's a racketeering attempt so people effectively get forced into using a gmail account when they want to take part in sites such as youtube, or google+, it makes some people think... "well, i'd just as well use google email seeing as they are forcing me", and thus forcing people into using gmail with several other accounts all tied together.

No, its not racketeering - its business. Would Porsche allow you to replace parts in their cars with Volkswagon bits? Once you have a customer, you try to keep them - especially if its at the expense of your rival.

Again, I think all elements of this are more than reasonable.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

report me to
what is the problem signing up to gmail to access a google owned service - by signing upto youtube you are giving good your info , and no additional personal data is needed for gmail so - what is your major malfunction ?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Just because you have to create a gmail account doesn't mean you actually have to USE the account. There is no rule that says you have to give up your usual e-mail account and switch over all your mail to gmail. However if you try it out you may find that you like it better than your current e-mail.

I personally like gmail. I understand that there are privacy concerns, however there are privacy concerns no matter what e-mail server you choose to use. There is no such thing as a "private" e-mail anymore (if there ever was such a thing). Somebody, somewhere has copies of everything that has ever hit your e-mail account no matter which server you choose.

Anyway, the only information you are required to provide is your name (and who is to say that the name you give is correct or not). There are ways around everything else. It's up to you to decide to actually use the e-mail account or not.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

the button to skip this feature and proceed to your account is small and hard to find.
No it isn't.
It is slightly annoying, to see that page pop up, and then skip on past it, but it only takes a few seconds.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

compared to the "buy now" and "sign up" buttons, it is smaller and more difficult to spot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join