It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny primate ‘talks’ in ultrasound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

One of the world’s smallest primates, the Philippine tarsier, communicates in a range of ultrasound inaudible to predator and prey alike, according to a study published Wednesday. No bigger than a man’s hand, Tarsius syrichta can hear and emit sounds at a frequency that effectively gives it a private channel for issuing warnings or ferreting out crickets for a nighttime snack, the study found.
Only a handful of mammals are known to be able to send and receive vocal signals in the ultrasound range, above 20 kilohertz (kHz), including some whales, domestic cats and a few of the many species of bats.

And few of these can squeal, screech or squawk at the same sonic altitudes as the saucer-eyed tarsier, which up to now had been mistakenly described as being “ordinarily silent,” researchers found.

Its finely-tuned ears are capable of picking up frequencies above 90 kHz, and it can vocalise in a range around 70 kHz.

By comparison, humans generally can’t hear anything above 20 kHz, and a dog whistle is pitched to between 22 and 23 kHz.

Source

Could be an explanation for the "sounds" being heard worldwide. Animals such as these warning each other of impending doom

edit on 8-2-2012 by disconnected8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
90 kHz is extremely high pitched, a dog whistle is 23 kHz, the sounds around the world are low pitched booming noises well below these pitches.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

I have seen threads which have speculated about the sound having both low and high frequency's, in fact someone here on ATS isolated the high frequency and another claimed that it was the higher frequency we should be concentrating on. Tbh my sound reference was mere tongue in cheek.
Here's the aforementioned threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I cant find the other one atm but I think its contained in the above thread

new topics

join