It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Man Who Paints The Future.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Many moons ago, I watched a pretty fascinating Channel Five documentary about the artwork of David Mandell and how his paintings seemed to predict future events like the Tokyo Sarin attacks, the IRA Heathrow mortar attacks, the French Concorde crash ect.. - part one of 'Extraordinary People' episode is below but I can't for the life of me find the rest of it - can anyone help as it's pretty compelling viewing?

Extraordinary People - The Man Who Paints The Future

He also pops up in this clip along with an interesting account from Barbara Garwell:

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Very intersting

I've had pre-cog dreams myself. They mostly happened when I was a child though. And the whole theory is kids have a higher connection to the meta-physical than adults.
edit on 2/8/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/8/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Thanks for this. I've never heard of this guy but I love this kind of stuff so I can look up his stories now.

It's happened to me many times. I worked out if dreamed about black clouds I'd have a fight next day with my partner.

I have a LOT of tiger dreams but I still don't know what they mean. Usually I become aware of a tiger creeping around and I try to avoid it. Not too long ago it got me by the throat.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Very interesting find! Thanks for sharing.

I'm a writer of my dreams and it always amazes me to read my entries months and years later.
I can't even begin to imagine painting them like he does, but it would be an interesting experiment.

btw I would love to know if he has had any hurricane dreams this year!!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
This looks like the beginning of a great series! Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately i cant find the next part either. Looks like it might have to be bought.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies and the full programme of the investigation into David Mandell's ability is certainly a very intriguing one (so shame I can't find it
) - I managed to find a couple of links with an article written by the Paranormal research society found at the bottom of this page which states his claims 'merit serious consideration' - there's also lots of replies and opinions featured at the blog below although many of the posted links are now defunct.

The man that paints the future.

Watched this programme on Channel 5 last night, not expecting a great deal, but it was one of the most balanced shows about a paranormal subject that I've ever seen.

The background: David Mandell, a retired lecturer, claims to have visions of the future that come to him in dreams. For years, he has painted pictures of these visions and made a photographic record of the paintings by taking photos of himself holding the pictures, beneath the wall clock of his local bank. He claims that some of these pictures have predicted in detail events like the Tokyo sarin gas attack, and the destruction of the WTC. His claims have made him little money or publicity, at least until now.

The scientific methodology employed by the makers of the programme was far and above anything usually seen in these kinds of TV shows, which usually pay only lip service to genuine investigation. Here, though, they did all the right things. They checked the photographic negatives, which showed no signs of tampering, and put the artist through a polygraph test, which he passed. They did surveys of interpretation, and they brought up possible holes in the story, like the fact that the bank's clock didn't show the year, or the possibility that the paintings had later been doctored (some of the paintings contained text recording additional details of the vision, which could plausibly have been added later). They talked about statistics, and the number of paintings done in total, and the fact that the artist's 'hits' were self-selected and chosen after the fact. Scientific tests were undertaken, all described on camera, and experts were consulted, including scientist and arch-sceptic James Randi (the inclusion of whom made me watch the show in the first place).

The case was fascinating and the artist did seem sincere in his beliefs; there was no evidence that he was trying to perpetrate a hoax, but the programme did fairly represent the views of experts that thought the matches were nothing more than vague coincidences coupled with flexible interpretations. The bottom line was inconclusive: there was no strong evidence that the man's gifts were real and not imaginary, but there was also no success in uncovering a deliberate hoax or a falsehood. James Randi, at the end of the show, seemed genuinely interested and invited the man to take on the JREF's $1m challenge. I hope he agrees, because I'd like to see more..

link

Cheers.

edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I have heard of this but i wonder what is really means, as in is time locked or if god's mind is one and they tap into it i would like to hear more.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think the present and the future and the past co-exist in different dimensions. cool eh? kind of like you never die, or maybe when you do die you repeat your life again. It would suck to be stuck in the ice ages...lol

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Interesting thread.
It brought to mind something I've read before, but unrelated to the painter you've brought up.

A dream Carl G Jung experienced drove him to explore the human psyche and publish his findings in a body of writings largely unparalelled by any other psychologist during the 20th century.

Just another dream?

...while Jung sensed that there were new levels yet to be understood in the structure of the psyche, but he could not fathom exactly what they were. However, in the fall of 1913, not long after his break with Freud, Jung became plagued with peculiar and deeply disturbing dreams. First came a dream of a "monstrous flood" that spread across Europe, all the way to the Swiss Alps. He saw thousands of people drowning and civilization itself falling into ruin. Then the flood changed from a deluge of water to one of blood. Subsequent dreams featured images of eternal winter and rivers of blood. Jung, who had recorded and studied his own dreams since childhood, was at a loss to relate the bizarre nightmares to anything within his own personal life. He eventually began to fear that he was lapsing into psychosis.

Several months later, the nationalism and extremism spreading across Germany escalated into terrible violence and repression (and much later, Nazism and international war). The dreams suddenly made a kind of sense, like symbolic premonitions of what was to come. But how could one account for such things? What mechanisms of the mind would allow him to envision such things, even at unconscious levels, before even the earliest stages of the events occurred? But his earlier work on psychic phenomenon, while revealing considerable fraud, also hinted that human psyches were genuinely linked together in some way both subtle and profound. He called this shared body of knowledge and connection the Collective Unconscious

www.nndb.com...

The complexity of the mind is an unsolved mystery possibly capable of things most of us would dismiss out of hand because it's much too frightening to countenance.

Imagine that.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I remember watching a documentary he was interviewed for called "Real Life Premonition: The Truth About Seeing The Future," which was included in the special features of the Sandra Bullock movie, "Premonition." He had a premonition of 9/11 and was later photographed with his painting on September 11, 1996 at the local bank. Eerie huh? He's had other premonitions, including a future earthquake in Hawaii. I only wish he had a website posting his premonitions and paintings for interested people to see.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cameraobscura
I only wish he had a website posting his premonitions and paintings for interested people to see.

Thanks for all the replies and I certainly agree about the website
-still can't find the full programme anywhere on the internet but there's a good article below about Déjà Rêvé and 'lucid precognitive dreaming' which mentions David Mandel's work.

Déjà Rêvé?

This paper examines the very real phenomena of Déjà Vu and how it connects to an even more profound subtype known as Déjà Rêvé. Déjà vu is French for “Already Seen” and Déjà Rêvé is French for “Already Dreamed”. Often people who experience Déjà Vu link the origin of the familiar memory to something they have dreamed days, weeks, months and even years before they experienced “Déjà Vu”. Déjà Rêvé suggests that dreams have a direct and relative relationship with physical reality. If so, then understanding and exploring this is critical to science and critical to understanding the origins of “reality”.

link

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Here we go.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread

Am off to see Frankenweenie in 3d but when we get back, I guess I know what I will be watching for a little while. It is hard to find people who do psychic art and I have an interest in this.

Thanks again, will watch!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Is there a webpage where we can look at his paintings? I searched for something about him or his paintings but all I could find is stuff that was in the show, stuff that has already happened.

Very interesting, thanks OP!

SnF

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies and happy watching, I looked everywhere for more info on David Mandell and his paintings but could only find the links already posted in this thread - kudos to the Youtube poster who uploaded the entire documentary, it really was good sunday night viewing.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
That was an awesome story!

I had an experience with a painting I did that floated around ATS for a little while, and the last video, when they talk about parallel universes, it is true from what I have experienced.
A few people pointed out that it looked a lot like Mt Rainier,
I hope not.
But then,
I might just be nuts...

Seriously though, great video!
I would hate to have dreams like that all the time.
People can predict the future, of that I have no doubt.

How he would be able to pull it out of his mind is what I want to know.
I think there is a process that can be studied from people like him and it looks like he is putting up with a lot of hassle to do it. I hope they learn what it is, because it is a very real experience. I've only had a few dream premonition of future events, and they weren't global, they were local things like my kid getting into something he wasn't supposed to. Meditation caused that, so I wonder if he is using some sort of meditation as a tool.
Hope more info on the guy comes out.

edit on 8-10-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

I wonder if kids are more right brain than left until they get older?
It is kind of off topic, but seems to me that the right brain deals with imagination,
and I personally suspect it has a LOT to do with premonitions.
Most art is a right brain experience too.
*ponder*

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

How he would be able to pull it out of his mind is what I want to know.

I guess what I mean by this is how his subconscious got it.
I know when I sat down and started my painting, it was almost like scrying in water, I painted exactly what I was seeing as I saw it and experienced it. It did kind of sound similar to what he says he experiences, only he would paint dreams, I just went into a vision while trying to pull images from my subconscious. Almost like a form of pareidolia. Well not almost it WAS pareidolia. A cool and very scary experience that brought me into a vision and I painted it.

It was my first piece of psychic art, and now I have a lot of interest in it. Although it does kind of scare me. Have yet to try to do it again,as the last time I kind of got hurt by it.
Guess you gotta be careful with that kind of stuff...live and learn.

I'm hoping people come up with other links to psychic artwork and similar stories as his, cause I think it is a valid experience.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

That was an awesome story!

I had an experience with a painting I did that floated around ATS for a little while, and the last video, when they talk about parallel universes, it is true from what I have experienced.

Darkblade71, thanks for sharing your account and you bring up some interesting points there about parallel universes and precognition -I don't know if you've read it but the book 'An Experiment With Time' by the Irish author J. W. Dunne is also a really interesting one and contains some relevant speculation about precognitive dreams and the nature of time.

Dunne's theory, elaborated from years of experiments into precognitive dreams and induced precognitive states, is that in reality all time is eternally present, that is, that past, present and future are all happening together in some way. Human consciousness, however, experiences this simultaneity in linear form. Dunne posits that in the dreaming state this way of interpreting time ceases to be as concrete as when we are awake. Thus we are capable of having what we call precognitive dreams as consciousness finds itself free to roam across past, present and future.

link

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I asked him a couple of times,.. Why do you always paint the future?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join