It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Hidden' salt cited as culprit in U.S. diet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

This is another reason to at least avoid much, if not totally eradicate processed erady-made products from your diet. The only thing I eat that comes in a can are canned tomatoes. The rest of my diet consists of vegetables and organic herbs and spices. The only salt I consume is what I put in myself.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
A Salty Controversy

Dietary Sodium recommendations should not be applied to everyone. Only a few people are sodium sensitive. The above is a link to a thread I wrote about the issue. Dietary salt isn't the problem...

Background: Although meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of salt reduction report a reduction in the level of blood pressure (BP), the effect of reduced dietary salt on cardiovascular disease (CVD) events remains unclear.

Methods: We searched for RCTs with follow-up of at least 6 months that compared dietary salt reduction (restricted salt dietary intervention or advice to reduce salt intake) to control/no intervention in adults, and reported mortality or CVD morbidity data. Outcomes were pooled at end of trial or longest follow-up point.

Results: Seven studies were identified: three in normotensives, two in hypertensives, one in a mixed population of normo- and hypertensives and one in heart failure. Salt reduction was associated with reductions in urinary salt excretion of between 27 and 39 mmol/24 h and reductions in systolic BP between 1 and 4 mm Hg. Relative risks (RRs) for all-cause mortality in normotensives and hypertensives showed no strong evidence of any effect of salt reduction CVD morbidity in people with normal BP and raised BP at baseline also showed no strong evidence of benefit. Salt restriction increased the risk of all-cause mortality in those with heart failure.

Our finding of a lack of strong evidence of an effect of dietary sodium reduction on mortality and CVD outcomes is in contrast to those of Strazzullo and colleagues, who systematically reviewed prospective observational studies that examined the relationship between dietary sodium and all-cause mortality and CVD mortality

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

This is true, except it would be more correct to say a low percentage of people, rather than "only a few".

If I'm recalling correctly, it's about 10%.

It's one factor, perhaps the main one, in a subgroup of people with CVD. In most people it's not a factor at all.
edit on 8-2-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

You're right. I was in a hurry... Had a lunch date that was full of sodium and fat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join