It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Hidden' salt cited as culprit in U.S. diet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yep, first sugar, now salt....
St. Louis Today article
CDC: 9 out of 10 Americans eat too much salt, in depth study (via msnbc.com)

Here is a small exert from the first article:

About nine of every 10 Americans eat more salt than is recommended, and Public Enemy No. 1 is bread — not junk food, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.
Salt, or sodium chloride, is a sneaky ingredient, ending up in many food products that don't sport the distinctive tang of a potato chip. But just because the sodium intake per slice of bread may be lower than a serving of potato chips doesn't mean that the salt isn't piling up. Americans love bread.

Read more: www.stltoday.com...

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Moderators, I actually THINK this is news! However since you moved my last thread on aspartame to medical issues, I opened this here. However, please feel free to move thread to news, where it should be imo.
edit on 8-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

Haha I have been saying this for ages, sodium is one of the biggest problems in our diet.
It is used in all processed foods and almost always in high quantities.
I also think that the recommended daily intake so sodium is grossly overstated.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

Most Coca Cola drinkers are unaware that salt is in the can. That's why it isn't thirst quenching.

Salt is bad for the heart in excess, but sugar is bad for the body in excess. Dump Cola and soda pop and you have killed 2 birds with one stone.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I agree, if we eat whole unprocessed foods, we don't need EXTRA salt.
It is one of the three white deaths.
I have been saying so since mid 80s...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
BS.

Artificial Sugars cause obesity.... Diet Coke is my proof.

People....really big fat people order diet cokes and down them in 2 seconds flat and demand a refill. They will sit there and drink 5-10 refills and they don't get refilled they get really pissy.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Most Coca Cola drinkers are unaware that salt is in the can. That's why it isn't thirst quenching.

Salt is bad for the heart in excess, but sugar is bad for the body in excess. Dump Cola and soda pop and you have killed 2 birds with one stone.
Its in everything tho, even if you dumbed the soft drink you would still be eating a lot.

Originally posted by BBalazs

I agree, if we eat whole unprocessed foods, we don't need EXTRA salt.
It is one of the three white deaths.
I have been saying so since mid 80s...

Exactly, there are plenty of other ways to preserve food also.

People....really big fat people order diet cokes and down them in 2 seconds flat and demand a refill. They will sit there and drink 5-10 refills and they don't get refilled they get really pissy.

Haha these are generally the people you see with really fat kids. I hate when I see that.. Should be child abuse.
edit on 8-2-2012 by TheCommentator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

People often forget then when salt was used to preserve meats it was a necessity, otherwise they would starve!
Also, other then that no salt was eaten in excess.
It just goes to show how evil salt is btw, preserving food, indefinitely...do you really want more and more inside?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

People often forget then when salt was used to preserve meats it was a necessity, otherwise they would starve!
Also, other then that no salt was eaten in excess.
It just goes to show how evil salt is btw, preserving food, indefinitely...do you really want more and more inside?
Salt has been used for ages and use to be a currency. A few hundred years ago in britain the rich would die so early because of their over consumption of meats preserved in sodium and sugars amoung other things while the poor only eating grains and vegetables would live for ages.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

nice. it is more complex. they died because of the salt. overindulgence in sugars, and other things.
whereas pheasant eat whole organic foods. including meat.
anyway, any links to back that up, it seems like vega propaganda to me, with the emphasis on grains (also toxic) and vegetables. Although I suspect the grains they eat where not anything like what is eaten today.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

Actually.. I think this is a fair argument.

If you ever look at the sodium in most food, it's disgusting amounts.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
So is this the thread where I can put in that it may not entirely be Americans' faults that so many of us are overweight, but that it's simply almost impossible to find truly healthy food?
edit on 8-2-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Please forgive the forthcoming rant. . . . . .

People, it all comes down to personal responsibility. We, as a society, have ceded that responsibility. The same sugars, salts, nicotine et al have been with us for decades. We used to govern what we ate. We used to exercise, moderate our intake, be sensible.
Now?

We've given the rights to police ourselves over to morons who could care less and govern to the lowest common denominator.

I say, to the devil with anyone who tries to control (or gives away control) of aspects simple to our daily lives.

*beez is now showing (with enthusiasm) the right hand, fist clenched, with a certain finger extended to all those who want to govern what he eats.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

nice. it is more complex. they died because of the salt. overindulgence in sugars, and other things.
whereas pheasant eat whole organic foods. including meat.
anyway, any links to back that up, it seems like vega propaganda to me, with the emphasis on grains (also toxic) and vegetables. Although I suspect the grains they eat where not anything like what is eaten today.

I’m looking. It something I haven’t heard for ages but I do remember it was coming from reputable TV shows and books.
There is this:
merryfarmer.net...
Like you said the peasants ate meat but it was usually pickled or preserved rather than salted. So where is the vego propaganda?
It is fairly well established that the foods they ate would maximize life span.
Of course peasants would have a higher accidental death rate the nobles but dying of natural causes would probably be less likely.
It’s fairly common sense if you think about it.
Rich people especially the royals had horrible diets.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Im afraid it's not just about personal responsibility this time.

What do you when you have no choice? Companies add excess salt to their products in extremely high amounts, it seems like everyone does it.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by beezzer

Im afraid it's not just about personal responsibility this time.

What do you when you have no choice? Companies add excess salt to their products in extremely high amounts, it seems like everyone does it.

Then you don't purchase those products.
Solutions?
Canning (always a good one) for veggies, controlling salt intake. Plus, it's cheaper.
Buying meat from a butcher. It's where we get our meats. We know how it's treated, how much of what is in there, how the cows were even raised.
To add, you haven't had real bacon until it's come fresh off a pig.
nom nom nom nom nom nom

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
If you ever cooked buns or bread without salt you know why there is so much in it! That being said, sometimes it is refreshing to eat baked goods lacking it, it is a different flavor, much like drinking water.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

it all comes down to personal responsibility
Not really, its a social responsiblity. People are influnced by what they see, what is normal and what there told to do; at present the majority of people think this is normal so we will continue to teach people the same habits.
Of course its easy for some but the biggest consumers of processed foods are people who cant afford unprocessed foods.
I think if they did extensive studying to understand how much salt is safe to use and limited producers to only use a safe level that would be more then alrigh. They do it with hundreds of other chemical, even tho they dont do it with a lot of the real serious ones.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Well frozen meals are packed with salt. That's the main culprit. Frozen foods are usually packed with a lot other garbage additives on top of it.

I never got why people liked chips so much, I could never get into them. Except those cheese puffs. Those are awesome. But I only eat those like twice a year so I'm good

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
reply to post by beezzer

it all comes down to personal responsibility
Not really, its a social responsiblity. People are influnced by what they see, what is normal and what there told to do; at present the majority of people think this is normal so we will continue to teach people the same habits.
Of course its easy for some but the biggest consumers of processed foods are people who cant afford unprocessed foods.
I think if they did extensive studying to understand how much salt is safe to use and limited producers to only use a safe level that would be more then alrigh. They do it with hundreds of other chemical, even tho they dont do it with a lot of the real serious ones.

Social responsibility absolves the individual of ANY error in judgement.
So I say bull cookies.

It's up to the individual. Any other answer is an excuse to make mitakes and not accept the responsibility for those errors in judgement.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Anything you do..moderation is key. I drink a lot and I smoke a lot and I am not moderate at all. But I don't gain weight either and I don't lose weight.

I dont do any hard drugs. And I don't touch any un natural sugars or salts. I love salt and sugar. I drink at least 5 cups a day....of coffee. With sugar and milk, but I use milk sparingly because it gives me the runs.

I am telling you all.... Quit with the artificial sugars. Processed foods aren't good either but their ok once in a while.

Eat the staple foods for your environment. Don't be afraid of things that are natural, like sugar and coffee.

Artificial sugars are not only highly addictive, but they do numbers against your immune system. They are like legalized manufactured chrystal meth.

ETA:Sounds like a mad lib.

edit on 8-2-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join