It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Ring around moon tonight.

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I went outside for a cig around midnight and I was greeted by a beautiful halo around the moon extending far out across the sky, as far as Mars's position. Between moon and outer ring of halo it was almost clear sky, where sky outside of ring was much foggier.

I mocked up a pic in Photoshop to show how it looked, using a screen cap from Stellarium as the base pic.
I tried taking pic, but, my camera is no good with astrophotography, so, thus the illustration instead:



Edit: Please note, there's nothing spooky or strange about this. I'm not claiming there's anything spooky or strange about this.
It was just beautiful. I think the effect is caused by ice crystal formation in the cloud cover where the light bounces off of and refracts around the ice crystals to make this pretty site.

Too bad me camera couldn't get a good shot of this. Very beautiful though.

edit on 8-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)


Edit #2: Funny thing; I just now realized it's a FULL moon, or close to it.

edit on 8-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
What planet is that at 7oclock from the moon??

I saw it earlier when I was outside for a smoke... didnt see a halo from PA though... maybe ill head back out and see if I can see one...

How easy to use is that Stellarium program? I was thinking about trying it to see what planet that is under the moon



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
I went outside for a cig around midnight and I was greeted by a beautiful halo around the moon extending far out across the sky, as far as Mars's position. Between moon and outer ring of halo it was almost clear sky, where sky outside of ring was much foggier.

I mocked up a pic in Photoshop to show how it looked, using a screen cap from Stellarium as the base pic.
I tried taking pic, but, my camera is no good with astrophotography, so, thus the illustration instead:



Edit: Please note, there's nothing spooky or strange about this. I'm not claiming there's anything spooky or strange about this.
It was just beautiful. I think the effect is caused by ice crystal formation in the cloud cover where the light bounces off of and refracts around the ice crystals to make this pretty site.

I saw the same from Texas (looked after I read post and as of now still there) I am in the country away from light pollution . It is pretty tried to take a pic with my iPhone but it sucked so good post and I agree on the ice crystal theory wheather has been funky here hot/cold and it's cold now not sure on the atmospheric temps.

Too bad me camera couldn't get a good shot of this. Very beautiful though.

edit on 8-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

edit on 09/19/2005 by swampcricket because: It was just the quote



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
What planet is that at 7oclock from the moon??

I saw it earlier when I was outside for a smoke... didnt see a halo from PA though... maybe ill head back out and see if I can see one...

How easy to use is that Stellarium program? I was thinking about trying it to see what planet that is under the moon


I think its regulus

Edit -the red one is mars.. but the one closer is regulus
edit on 8-2-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
What planet is that at 7oclock from the moon??

I saw it earlier when I was outside for a smoke... didnt see a halo from PA though... maybe ill head back out and see if I can see one...

How easy to use is that Stellarium program? I was thinking about trying it to see what planet that is under the moon


That planet, the one just inside the ring with a slight red tinge, and little glow of its own, is Mars.

Trailing Mars, closer to the horizon is Saturn, but, Saturn isn't in this illustration.

You can download Stellarium and explore on your own too. It's free to download and use!

Download Stellarium here




edit on 8-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
I went outside for a cig around midnight and I was greeted by a beautiful halo around the moon extending far out across the sky, as far as Mars's position. Between moon and outer ring of halo it was almost clear sky, where sky outside of ring was much foggier.

I mocked up a pic in Photoshop to show how it looked, using a screen cap from Stellarium as the base pic.
I tried taking pic, but, my camera is no good with astrophotography, so, thus the illustration instead:



Edit: Please note, there's nothing spooky or strange about this. I'm not claiming there's anything spooky or strange about this.
It was just beautiful. I think the effect is caused by ice crystal formation in the cloud cover where the light bounces off of and refracts around the ice crystals to make this pretty site.

I saw the same from Texas (looked after I read post and as of now still there) I am in the country away from light pollution . It is pretty tried to take a pic with my iPhone but it sucked so good post and I agree on the ice crystal theory wheather has been funky here hot/cold and it's cold now not sure on the atmospheric temps.

Too bad me camera couldn't get a good shot of this. Very beautiful though.

edit on 8-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

edit on 09/19/2005 by swampcricket because: It was just the quote

edit on 09/19/2005 by swampcricket because: Double post sorry



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The moon also had a halo around it tonight where I live (pacific northwest) with an orange tint.. Absolutely breath taking!! I wonder how many places it was seen like this.. Very cool (:



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by swampcricket
 


Swampcricket, you're putting your responses inside the quoted material and it's confusing because it blends in with what you are quoting. Just hit reply please!



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nineix
 


Yeah my bad txtng on phone and posting on here that plus more than a few bud lights! I apologize but at least we all saw the nice moon tonight.

Also the iPad will jack up the cursor placing very easy if you rub it the wrong way.
edit on 09/19/2005 by swampcricket because: Stupid ipad



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sarahraeann
 


Don't want to scare you but I saw that last week and we had a 5.7 Mag quake within 24 hours. NZ Probably coincidence.

Stay safe.



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nineix
 


Use search and you'll find more than enough explanations, its caused by Ice crystals and cold moisture. I see it 5 out of 7 days a week, not uncommon up here.



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Old wives tale has it that when the halo is around the moon it means rain in your area within 3 days.
Seems like there was something else to the story as well but I can't remember it.
Something about the halo when the moon is half full and is positioned so it resembles a bowl tipped on it's side "so the water can run out".
Quad
edit on 8-2-2012 by Quadrivium because: Added "tale"



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
reply to post by Sarahraeann
 


Don't want to scare you but I saw that last week and we had a 5.7 Mag quake within 24 hours. NZ Probably coincidence.

Stay safe.



I live in Houston.
The only geological activity we get here is caused by erosion.
Earthquake? Sorry. If earthquake happened here, you may as well set up tsunami detectors in people's bathtubs.

Sorry, I'm not a believer, and don't scare,very easy. Massive CME Solar Flares? They happen. Hurricanes? Tornadoes? They happen too. Fatal car wrecks on freeways? They happen all too frequently. Murders, home invasions, rape, meteors, and even frogs or fish raining out of the sky, they happen too.
Am I going to live my life in fear every time anything remotely strange, different, or unusual happens?
NO.

If anything, it's all the more reason to appreciate and enjoy life all the more, if, any kind or sort of disaster or catastrophe might happen at any given time.







 
2

log in

join