It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Iran defaults on rice payments to India

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

And you posted the title per the guidelines of the Breaking News Forum, so you have done your due diligence here. Star and flag for an interesting perspective on the sanctions and their impact.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Plase do......i have been under the impression that nations like Bahrain and so forth are concerned about the nukes in Irani hands....
Saudi Arabia too is worried about a nuclear iran.....
I would be surprised to hear different...thanks....s

You are correct in saying that several Arab countries have objected to nuclear Iran, but you didn't notice that the governments of such countries have said so and not their general population. I have never said Iran was aspiring for nukes but said it's aspirations were for nuclear power i.e, nuclear energy. In this day and age majority of MSM only repeat claims made by the rulers/ govts of such countries but not the consensus of the people in that nation.

Here's the link to the report conducted by the University of Maryland in conjunction with Zogby International. The survey was conducted in in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, and UAE.

The below given report suggests Iran's support among other Arab countries population (Page 45).

Page 46 of the report among different age groups

Page 47 of the report on Arab people's opinion whether Iran should be stopped or has right for nuclear power

Page 48 of the report showing the opinions of people from different Arab countries about Iran nuclear weapon intention

Page 50 of the report whether people support Iran having nuclear weapons

Page 53 of the report show a majority consensus in Arabs supporting Iran aspiration for nuclear power.

Page 54 of the report illustrates that the people who think Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons are divided i.e, almost half still support them and the rest dont.

The full report can be accessed here: 2010 Arab Public Opinion Poll

I would infact suggest anyone reading this go through the whole report as it shows the general opinion/ sentiments of Arab people in several countries not just related to Iran but also, Israel, USA and the western foreign policy. I found this report while reading this latest article on the guardian website: Why American 'democracy promotion' rings hollow in the Middle East which is a good read.
edit on 8-2-2012 by Ek Bharatiya because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

Actually its not a lie... If the people were happy they wouldn't have protested the last presidential election. Ahmadenijad wouldnt have members of his cabinet arrested, and their parliment wouldnt be calling for an end to Ahmadenijads Presidency nor the Ayatollah wouldnt be stating the position of Preisdent might be going away.

The people of Iran were facing touch domestic issues before ahmadenijad came into power. He campaigned on the platform of concentrating on the domestic situation, which he failed to do once elected. Instead he felt it better for Iran to confront the West while building a clandestine nuclear program.

The people of Iran have expressed discontent because of the choice ahmadenijad has made, with the results being domestic prices went through te roof withno releif in sight.

I can link you to the dozens of media outlets reproting on that on the off chance you don't go beyond just one news source. I can post some mideast news sources as well, although not Iranian media since they wont report on anything they are barred from. Which is more evident now that the Iranian government has started to arrest reporters / bloggers and their familes for reporting negatively on whats going on inside the country.

So to answer your baseless calim, no im not telling a lie. Please do some research before hand would you please. That way it wont make you look like an ignorant fool when you wrongly accuse and chastize others.

ETA - The report you are citing does not include any response from Iran. They asked people in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, and UAE. They used a sample of almost 4k people and the time frame was over one month.
edit on 8-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Excellent points!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

Actually its not a lie... If the people were happy they wouldn't have protested the last presidential election.

As the polls on the first page proves Ahmedinijad was the front runner throughout the elections and had more support than any other contender which makes him the winner. Obviously in any democracy there is going to be a opposition party for eg. in India there is Congress (the ruling party) and the BJP the opposition. Similarly in US there are Democrats and Republic. Every party wants their own contender to win and not their opposition party contender. That's a basic common sense thing.

Ahmadenijad wouldnt have members of his cabinet arrested, and their parliment wouldnt be calling for an end to Ahmadenijads Presidency nor the Ayatollah wouldnt be stating the position of Preisdent might be going away.

Anyone who has been keeping track of Iranian politics knows that Ayatollah and Ahemjidinad are not close buddies. It was Ayatollah who got those people arrested.

The people of Iran were facing touch domestic issues before ahmadenijad came into power.

Are those issues jobs, economy which almost every country is facing such as Greece, UK, US etc?

He campaigned on the platform of concentrating on the domestic situation, which he failed to do once elected. Instead he felt it better for Iran to confront the West while building a clandestine nuclear program.

As the polls show the people also supported Iran being a nuclear power overwhemingly on the first page.

The people of Iran have expressed discontent because of the choice ahmadenijad has made, with the results being domestic prices went through te roof withno releif in sight.

No the small opposition party of Mousavi did that not the majority of Iranians who are happy with Ahemjidinad and voted for his government.

I can link you to the dozens of media outlets reproting on that on the off chance you don't go beyond just one news source. I can post some mideast news sources as well, although not Iranian media since they wont report on anything they are barred from. Which is more evident now that the Iranian government has started to arrest reporters / bloggers and their familes for reporting negatively on whats going on inside the country.

May that sources be Fox news, CNN or MSNBC? No thanks. We are on ATS and we know how the main stream media works in west and as well as in Iran.

So to answer your baseless calim, no im not telling a lie. Please do some research before hand would you please. That way it wont make you look like an ignorant fool when you wrongly accuse and chastize others.

You are absolutely fabricating sentences and continuing to repeat the distorted propaganda to make the ruling party of Iran bad. I have proven on the first page that who Iranian people voted for by a non-biased source and whether they still support him after the election or not.

ETA - The report you are citing does not include any response from Iran. They asked people in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, and UAE. They used a sample of almost 4k people and the time frame was over one month.

Maybe you have not read the first page, the poll was conducted in Iran.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ek Bharatiya
May that sources be Fox news, CNN or MSNBC? No thanks. We are on ATS and we know how the main stream media works in west and as well as in Iran.

For starters my apologies.. My response was based on the second page post with all of the graphs of Iran, and not the first study on the first page.

However, as you pointed out and as the information you posted pointed out, the result are in question. Using a study from the University of Tehran would be like having the SS investigate Auschwitz. The fact that 26% of people interviewed before the election refused to answer questions after the election casts the entire "poll" into the realm of unreliable.Couple the fact that speaking out against the government in Iran can get you arrested and killed.

The election results in Iraq during Hussein's rule showed he had 99% of the vote even though it was apparent he didn't have the support of the people to arrive at that result.

Both Sides Claim Victory in Presidential Election in Iran

All paper ballots in Iran were counted in less than 2 hours at which point Ahmadinejad was declared the winner. Wide spread reports of intimidation and voter fraud.

We are going to have to agree to disagree as I feel the report is not accurate do to government actions towards people who don't support it - again citing the 26% who refused to answer after the election.

2011 Iranian protests - wiki
Voter irregularities - wiki

According to an analysis by Professor Walter R. Mebane, Jr. from the Department of Statistics of the University of Michigan, considering data from the first stage of the 2005 presidential election produces results that "give moderately strong support for a diagnosis that the 2009 election was affected by significant fraud".[52] The UK-based think-tank Chatham House also suspected fraud in the voting process for a number of reasons:[53]

Reason

Description

* - More than 100%

In two Conservative provinces, Mazandaran and Yazd, a turnout of more than 100% was recorded.[53]

* - No swing

At a provincial level, there is no correlation between the increased turnout, and the swing to Ahmadinejad.[53] This challenges the notion that his victory was due to the massive participation of a previously silent Conservative majority.[53]

* - Reformist votes

In a third of all provinces, the official results would require that Ahmadinejad took not only all former conservative voters, and all former centrist voters, and all new voters, but also took up to 44% of former Reformist voters, despite a decade of conflict between these two groups.[53]

* - Rural votes

In 2005, as in 2001 and 1997, conservative candidates, and Ahmadinejad in particular, were markedly unpopular in rural areas. The claim that this year Ahmadinejad swept the board in more rural provinces in 2009 flies in the face of these trends.[53]

edit on 9-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join