It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Pride Parades across the World: Sharing ideas and identities.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Eastern Europe and the Balkans:

Kakow, Poland.

Police struggle to protect the planned march against protestors:

edit on 10-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

Croatia 2011.

Not sure what is going on here, or the bigger context.
Even in SA with significant anti-gay Africanists and other homophobic groups we've never seen this kind of battle-field or stand-offish situation.

Interesting because in some other European countries gay conservatives, Christians and some other right-wing groups seem to be forming an uneasy truce against Islamism.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Historical material.

A pride parade from the 1970s.
Some on Youtube suggest it is from Chicago.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A 2011 gay pride parade from Boston (USA), which despite the bad weather, ended in some kind of dispute with (or rather between) a group of Catholics.

Here we just had the Mr. Gay SA Competition, where a group of Christians gave the event a tongue-lashing for being over Easter www.acdp.org.za...
I don't know what makes them think that everyone should follow their pseudo-pagan holidays, but they think that because they don't approve, they can still make the rules for everybody.
Well, those days are over, I hope.

Although Mr Gay SA is a relatively limited event, I think they made a great promotion clip for our country:

edit on 8-4-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Gay Pride Parades from two of the most prolific cities:

San Francisco:

Amsterdam:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Tel Aviv, Israel.

Interesting, because in the interview a lady said Gay Pride was bigger in New York.

Nevertheless, it looks like a fantastic day out in the sun, and on the beach.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Historical material.

A pride parade from the 1970s.
Some on Youtube suggest it is from Chicago.

Oh my hat, it's been such a long time since I've seen a "normal white man" with some chest hair and all.

Apparently masculinity went through a process of hyper-muscularity in the 1980s and 1990s.

There is certainly a gym-toned clone look in the wider footage, and groups who deliberately subvert that.

However, for me it's strange that the "standard" masculine look became so altered.

Of course that's not limited to the gay scene, but it's great to see such a variety of shapes.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Istanbul - Turkey.

The clip says that Turkey is the only majority Muslim country with gay marches (Istanbul and Ankara).

In 2003 only 30 people attended the parade, but by 2009 it was 3000.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Mexico City - Gay Pride 2008.

I think Cortez would be spinning in his grave.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Gay Pride London (2011):

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
But - - have you ever been to a Gay Parade?

The Parade is just an opening to a whole event. The ones I've been to - - - have been all day family oriented events. With many booths of information about LGBTQ issues - workshops - - support groups - political support groups - - - etc.

Games booths for kids. Food booths. Entertainment - - etc.

Just like any other cultural fair - - - based on a specific group.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The history of the Stonewall uprising in 1969, and the first specifically gay marches.

A fast but wonderful introduction:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Most media portrayals of Gay Parades - - - pick a stereotype focus - - - and flash the same pic(s) - - - over and over and over.

Where/when have you seen splashed all over the media these people marching in the parade? LGBTQ families - - families of LGBTQ - - - straights in support of LGBTQ - - Medical Professional LGBTQ - - Law enforcement support of LGBTQ - - - local politicians in support of LGBTQ - - local businesses in support of LGBTQ.

Exactly! You NEVER see these people splashed all over the media of Gay Parade participants. Nor - - are you provided with all the other activities and booths that make up the all day event.
edit on 13-4-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The 4th Delhi Queer Pride.

Gay pride in India, with traditional instruments.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Taipei - calls for an end to discrimination.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Asia's first LGBT Pride Parade.
Manilla, 1994.

Historic footage:

The courage to this must have been extreme.
edit on 13-4-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
New York, Gay Pride 2011:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Rather unexpectedly: Gay Pride Jerusalem.

I'm not quite sure what is going on in the next clip, but it seems sometimes like the last defense against religious fundamentalism.

It's more than just a "gay march".
It's a march for freedom.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Gay Pride Tokyo:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Most media portrayals of Gay Parades - - - pick a stereotype focus - - - and flash the same pic(s) - - - over and over and over.

Where/when have you seen splashed all over the media these people marching in the parade? LGBTQ families - - families of LGBTQ - - - straights in support of LGBTQ - - Medical Professional LGBTQ - - Law enforcement support of LGBTQ - - - local politicians in support of LGBTQ - - local businesses in support of LGBTQ.

Exactly! You NEVER see these people splashed all over the media of Gay Parade participants. Nor - - are you provided with all the other activities and booths that make up the all day event.
edit on 13-4-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Thanks for pointing that out Annee, and the question of representivity remains hotly contested.

Some of the people in the parades are "stereotypes", and many others are not, and conform to hetero-sexist standards of acceptability. However, just because people are dressed up for a carnival atmosphere doesn't mean they are not professionals from a wide range of occupations, or that they don't have families.

The Chicago parade showed children and families towards the end of the march, and it didn't take long for the religious extremists to abuse such imagery, as one can see on p.1, so this can also backfire.

What I do see is a wide variety of local flavors and influences, rather than monolithic events.
Many of the clips are not mainstream media images, or filmed by professionals.

In SA one of the remaining issues with events after the parades is inclusiveness, as the poorer communities often can't afford the expensive raves and after-parties, and this needs to be addressed.
The parade I attended had the rich people in the clubs, and a large amount of people milling about on the side-walks, so there is room for improvement.
Many of the black townships now have smaller parades by the local communities, especially as a reaction to the almost epidemic levels of the "corrective rape" of lesbians.
Although we come from a very divided past, I'd really like to see the various communities supporting each other more.

The clips do focus on the parade itself, but thanks for pointing out that such events have a wider context.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

BTW - - - the event I specifically attend and support is the Long Beach Pride Festival.

I am a straight supporter. I go to sign petitions and support equality.

longbeachpride.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join