It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul: Romney is 'someone I could talk to'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
From Politico:

Ron Paul talked with radio host Scott Hennen about the sense of a strategic alliance, as posited by the Washington Post (and as I've observed in the past about Paul's habits of thwarting anti-Romney attacks in debates), and he suggested it's less an alliance but a conversation when asked if it's true:

“Not exactly, I mean I never sat down with Mitt and said ‘Well let’s do this or that.’ There’s no doubt that he’s been more of a gentleman when I talk to him. It’s never been in my interest to go after him (everyone else was doing that). Matter of fact, I don’t even like that part of politics. But then on the other side of this, we did some ads where we called him a flip-flopper, and things like that. There’s nothing strategic. There’s been no decision. The staffs have talked to each other on some of the things like debates – and which debates we should go to – I don’t know how many things we have a strong agreement on. Our foreign policies are different - he certainly is not attacking the Federal Reserve – and his record up in Massachusetts wasn’t anything I could get too enthusiastic about, but I would say that the most important thing is that he’s someone I could talk to. I sort of like that approach in everything I do.”

An interesting observation by the writers at Politico. It's not surprising that Paul would do something like this. He has not been doing well in the caucuses or primaries so aligning himself with the perceived front-runner is only a smart tactical move on his part. Face it, no matter what you think of Paul, he is still a politician trying to obtain the most powerful position in the world.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Paul from Politico quote

There’s nothing strategic

Your quote

a smart tactical move on his part

I'm just getting the feel of mixed signals thats all.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

I wouldn't show my hand if I were playing poker either.

My point being that Paul is probably not being forthcoming on his relationship to Romney. He has a habit of being evasive at times.
edit on 2/7/2012 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
If Paul starts kissing up to Romney, it will only reinforce my opinion that Paul is just another garden-variety politician trying to win votes.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Did you just admit that you are a bluffer? Taking something out of context to make it seem like its true is just poor paraphrasing on your behalf...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I really wouldn't mind if he just now started doing it, but it would hurt his image with his core supporters. By this time would you think he was even serious about it? Winners on capital hill don't play fair.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
If Paul starts kissing up to Romney, it will only reinforce my opinion that Paul is just another garden-variety politician trying to win votes.

I feel exactly the same and I voted for Paul in the Missouri primary this afternoon. If he aligns himself with Romney though, he will lose my respect as being exactly what he comes off as being against. He's done nothing of that sort yet, but if he does...well, I guess I'll just write in my own name in November and screw 'em if they can't take a joke.

Voting is still worth it for the down-ticket races either way though.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

I was implying that I don't believe Paul is being exactly forthcoming on his relationship with Mitt Romney.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You realize Paul and Romney became friends in 2004 and have even spent time together at his home right?

Paul has not aligned himself with Romney. They have become friends but remain far apart on political issues especially in regards to the size and scope of Government
edit on 7-2-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

No, I didn't. But, I'm sure the writers at Washington Post and Politico, who both wrote about a seemingly strategic alliance between Romney and Paul, were aware of this fact.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
They have become friends but remain far apart on political issues especially in regards to the size and scope of Government
edit on 7-2-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

At times, that doesn't seem to stop Democrats and Republicans in Congress from working together to help each other pass legislative acts.

We're talking about two Republican nominees for the same position, who are friends. So, that means that it is even more likely that they would help each other out. It's not a huge leap to make. Just because their ideas about many issues clash doesn't mean that Ron Paul would not see an advantage to strategize with Romney. Especially if that entails Romney changing his positions on certain policies that Paul is fond of. His campaign certainly, as of late, seems to be more about ideas rather than actually winning.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Easiest endoresment for Paul to make if Romney racks up the delegates.
Paul fans get ready to morph into RomneyBots.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Romney's hawkish, interventionist foreign polcy retroric, especially that directed at Iran, would be a non-starter for Paul.

After tonight, Romney looks extremly vulnerable. It appears a reasonable possibility/probability that between Paul, Santonem and Gringrich, Romney will not get enough delegates to win the nomination outright. That means, a brokered convention.

And, if there was a brokered convention, would Paul release his delegates to Romney, if promised the Secy. of Treasury job? The Fed hopes not.

In 1924, a nominating convention lasted 17 days and 103 ballets. Think of the free coverage.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is Total BS. It's a Propaganda site With a mailing address is in Arlington VA.
The Author used to Work for The Ny Post and Covered The election in 2008. No-one who who should be in office has been in decades. There is an obvious Media suppression on who is voting for Dr. Paul, and the Election Cheats who work in the system. And the voting population who are aware of whats good for the people are being suppressed as usual. When someone who can outdo legally everything, with an executive order clause as president is in the white-house and has the authority, imagine how long an order would be used if it worked to keep the bad ones in power.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Did they sleep with each other too?

I guess I'm right after all. Paul will endorse Romney and the Paul-verse will explode.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Most Paul fans are completely against him becoming vice president which makes no sense at all. They would rather him go back to being a congressman with very little power especially in his case because he hasn't passed a bill and God knows how long so rather than taking the position that could lead to the presidency.His supporters would have been run third party or drop out.

It is my opinion that Paul has no chance at becoming president which happens to be pretty close to the fact but if he were to be the VP he could start actually changing things. Unfortunately from what I have seen on here people say they would abandon Paul if he were to do something like that. Then again his supporters were supposed to show up in record numbers but that did not happen either.

The only way to affect change is from the inside. Many people say this has become about his message but mark my words when I say it will all be forgotten once he is out of the spotlight. Besides that, it is partialy because of his message that people do not like him.This is not the first time there has been a candidate out there that would have been a better choice. Ross Perot, Ralph Nader, and now Ron Paul.

It seems to me history is about to repeat itself .

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I agree. Just imagine Ron Paul presiding over the Senate.

That would be a sight to see.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Did they sleep with each other too?

I guess I'm right after all. Paul will endorse Romney and the Paul-verse will explode.

Ron Paul is known for being a man of principle. I really do not see him endorsing Romney even though they may be friends. Unless Romney changes some of his views and they are in line with the Constitution, I do not see it happening.

They became friends in 2004, you didnt see Paul endorse Romney when he dropped out then did you?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Herp derp derp. Silly Alex Jones seems to sorta, almost, but not really believe Ron Paul could be tag-teaming with Mitt Romney.

Ron Paul is a politician, you know.

Has Ron Paul Formed a Political Alliance With Mitt Romney?

Special comment from Alex Jones: Ron Paul is an intelligent man of total integrity. I am willing to wait and see how this all shakes out before passing judgment. However, just the idea of Paul’s campaign working with Mitt Romney to do some kind of political deal seems like a bad idea, and my initial reaction is that it’s unlikely to come to fruition.

The suggestion that Ron Paul and Mitt Romney are in cahoots because Paul is in the frame to be Romney’s VP pick has again surfaced following last night’s Republican debate in Mesa, Arizona, after which Rick Santorum claimed the two were coordinating attacks against his candidacy.

“You have to ask Congressman Paul and Governor Romney what they’ve got going together,” Santorum told reporters. “Their commercials look a lot alike and so do their attacks.” Santorum’s campaign strategist John Brabender repeated the charge, stating, “Clearly there’s a tag team strategy between Ron Paul and Mitt Romney. For all I know, Mitt Romney might be considering Ron Paul as his running mate. Clearly there is now an alliance between those two and you saw that certainly in the debate.”

This is by no means the first time that the notion of Ron Paul becoming Romney’s VP has been mooted.

As we reported earlier this month, GOP strategist Jack Burkman put his reputation on the line during an appearance on Fox Business when he boldly predicted that Ron Paul would be on the Republican ticket as a result of a brokered convention.

“The likely leader will be Romney, but he won’t have enough delegates to win,” Burkman told Judge Andrew Napolitano, forecasting that Romney would pick Paul as his VP because “Gingrich and Santorum have extremely high negatives, nobody in their right mind would want them on the ticket.”

“I am now affirmatively predicting that Ron Paul will be on the ticket, I’ll lay odds,” emphasized Burkman. The idea of Paul being subordinate to Romney, an establishment type with flip-flopping political positions, has split Paul supporters, with the majority of them seemingly hostile to any kind of deal being done that could compromise Ron Paul’s legacy as a rock when it comes to standing by his principles.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

He won't , Ron sees Right Through that Leopards Spots..........

i297.photobucket.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join