It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where to get water if TSHF?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have been looking for the best to identify where fresh water springs may be located in my area(NW GA). I haven't really found a whole lot of information on this subject. I also would like to find out home to build a water purifier out of common objects. Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.
ETA: I may not have made myself clear. I know I can get water from a stream, river, or lake, but I am trying to figure out a GOOD way to locate spring or ground water that doesn't require the use of a pump.
edit on 7-2-2012 by georgiaboy because: clarification

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by georgiaboy

Most rural houses have a well for water. With a generator you can how ever much water you need...

Another thing i just noticed on Google map, in almost every 5 square miles theres a lake, a pond, or a creek/ river. Georgia is full of water!! I don't think you have to worry about water in Georgia!!
edit on 7-2-2012 by Alchemst7 because: another observation

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Me too I would like to know where I can find a decent home with a spring on the grounds

Anyone knows where natural springs are most dense in USA?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Stop worrying about when the SHTF...worry about now and preventing it or if we can't prevent it then worry about enjoying every moment until the SHTF. When and/or if it does hit the fan then trust me on this... no amount of preparation will make you ready for it and even if it could, death would more than likely be the most welcome scenario so you should start preparing psychologically more than anything else as that will be the hardest part to deal with. All people talk about are their guns and get up bags. Chances are you'll be at work or off on some errand when it goes down and all the chaos will be between you and your preparations all the while some other SHTF guy was in the right place at the right time and decides to take ur truck, there goes all your best laid plans.

Think about what we are doing today...If after thousands of years we are still going to war over pointless power moves by psychotic jackasses then maybe it's our nature and we deserve to bow out and allow something better to take the roll. I suppose that's hard for the anthropocentric group to understand though.

If people would focus more on living better now instead of putting it off until later we wouldn't be in this mess.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

www.findaspring.com...
Maybe that will help some.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Early in the morning you can spot a spring by the fog it lets out. Personally, I'm building a cheap moonshine still so I can distill my own water. There's excellent free plans on the web for stills that cost less than 100 dollars.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnificient

This is an very good idea. I have experience with stills, so that would be ideal. Thanks for the idea and info.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Do not think spring water is pure and fit to drink. Toxins and agro waste has been seeping into our ground water for a long time now. Some may be okay but why risk it. The best way to have good clean water from any source is to distill it. Hell with a still you can turn that mud puddle into the finest bottled water. Then when you have plenty of water you could cook up some shine for trade. I have seen stills the size of beer cans, so make one yourself to match your needs. Drink Up!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnificient

Do you happen to have a link handy for one? I know nothing about disstillation but I want to learn I got nothing but time right now.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
Me too I would like to know where I can find a decent home with a spring on the grounds

Anyone knows where natural springs are most dense in USA?

They're all over the place in my area of N.E. Georgia Mountains. My pond is even fed by 5 natural springs. I have a pipe running from my pond back into the nearby creek to keep it from overflowing. Lots of cabins with land for sale up here due to people in the cities selling off their vacation property. Bad economy, makes good deals for preppers.

Also have an artesian well.

Des
edit on 7-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well... wether you believe it or not, dowsing works. Cut a Y shaped young and thin branch from a fruit tree or even say a young maple...grap the Y end like handle bars with the sigle point end straight out. Walk north south as most underground streams run east-west. Go back and forth marking each time the front point is drawn down, After a few crossinga and marked spots... connect the dots and there is your underground stream. Then dowse along that line and find the strongest pulling point and dig there.Use common sense... if you are up on a hill...you will geenerally have to dig deeper than on low ground.

As for springs... find areas in the woods that show signs of water flow or trickles of water, Look for willows or an abundance of rocks and moss. There will usually be a small or even large ravine.Generally, if it is a good spring... there will be some water flow already.. which kind of negates your inquiry. A spring that is not flowing is not constant and is not a good source of water on a consistant basis.

Also, look for old home places... old cabins, delapidated barns... old fences and horse paths or chimneys and ruins... usually an unusual pile of symetrical and cut stones.... look for unusual or unnatural rectangular patterns undergrowth or moss and square depressions in the ground.

Somewhere near by, there will be an old well. Old homesteads usually had a kitchen seperate from the main house to keep down heat in summer and prevent the loss of the house in case of fire. Somewhere within a few yards will be the well... Be Careful... it was usually hand dug and lined with rock. The well was covered or surrounded by a wood box which has by now rotted leaving a 30-50 foot shaft. However, it is a well that had water and probably after cleaning it out, still does. Look for a square shelter or the fallen remains of one... usually about 8'x8'... or even some boards laid across in a heap. There is your well....

Plus, homesteads had a few fruit trees... apple, peach, pear... and grape vines...

Another good source of water is old mine shafts... Be Careful...ground water usually back fills old vertical shafts, so a map of your area is essential...Del Lorme puts out a Map Gazzette that is awesome showing topographical and physical landmark features and every dirt road you can imagine. It is also good to learn the history of your area and county. By knowing where the old roads are, you will find the old homesites... and where even whole communities used to exist but died out....there's your wells... old spring houses they used for refridgeration... and even in some cases, actual springs that were commercial ventures in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Google search moonshine then the second one down.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient

Early in the morning you can spot a spring by the fog it lets out. Personally, I'm building a cheap moonshine still so I can distill my own water. There's excellent free plans on the web for stills that cost less than 100 dollars.

Oh now isn't that just an idea. I'd never thought of that but I work with an ultrasonic cleaner here for all kinds of things and distilled water is essential. It never occurred to me to make my own.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Make sure Your still does not need electricity. Also stock up on vitamins with minerals. Distilled water is void of minerals.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I have read about this solution many times and it does work because I have done it successfully.

Most of the ground around us does have moisture trapped inside.

First you dig a hole about 12" around at least 8" to a foot deep. place a cup in the center of the bottom.

Line the top of the hole with a thin layer of, lets say saran wrap or other thin plastic type materiel and secure it on all sides with dirt or sand depending on your sub-strait, then place a small stone or other small object in the center of the plastic so it forms a cone towards the center of the cup you have placed in the center of the hole you dug in step 1.

The suns heat will draw the water out of the soil through evaporation and condense onto the plastic, and then drip into the cup.

If the ground is unusually dry you can actually pee into the hole before placing the cup...and the water will condense onto the plastic in pure form...you can also use seawater or any contaminated water based waste to draw out this pure evaporated water into your cup...and drink away.

You may not get enough clean water for cooking but it may keep you alive until you can find a better source.

edit on 7-2-2012 by Andronian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jondave

If you think you have source water free of toxic solids the minerals can be added back to the water. The distillation process will kill any biological contamination. The distilled water can be used to redesolve the skum (minerals) off the sides of the vessel. This will also add taste to the water.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Andronian

Very good my friend. Also plant material can be added to the solar still for even more moisture. And don't forget the liquid in your radiator.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantazero

I never actually thought of plant materiel that's a very good addition. not sure about the radiator suppose it has a connection with how much water verses Ethylene glycol you have in the mixture...not sure need more research on that one.

TY

edit on 7-2-2012 by Andronian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Easiest way to kill anything in the water you do have is to put it in plastic 2 litre bottles, then leave it out in the sun for a day. Preferably on a tin roof or something, but even on rock will do. The solar radiation will kill anything in the water making it safe to drink.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantazero

Would adding foilage to a solar still make the water taste bad? I suspect it would, but in a survival scenario, that probably wouldn't matter that much. If taste isn't an issue, you can tie trash bags around tree branches to catch the water perspired by the tree's leaves. But this does taste BAD!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join