It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

U.S. military beginning review of Syria options

page: 1
6
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

U.S. military beginning review of Syria options


security.blogs.cnn.com

By Barbara Starr

Although the U.S. focus remains on exerting diplomatic and economic pressure on Syria, the Pentagon and the U.S. Central Command have begun a preliminary internal review of U.S. military capabilities, CNN has learned.

The options are being prepared in the event President Barack Obama were to call for them. Two senior administration officials who spoke about the review to CNN emphasized that U.S. policy for now remains the use of non-military options.

The focus on diplomatic options was underscored by the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations in an interview with CNN o
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Is the US going to bypass the UN Security Council?

If West wants the voilence to stop then it has to be from both the sides. No one is asking rebels to give up arms and talk peace. Heck! rebels do not even want to talk to Assad government or is it that someone told them not to, like it happened in Libya, where rebels refused to talk to the government in power.

security.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Also..


France recalls ambassador to Syria over ‘worsening repression’


Spain recalls Syria ambassador for consultations


Italy recalls Syrian ambassador for consultations: statement


GCC to seek Arab League support for “Safe Zone” in Syria: US Turkey to discuss enforcement on Wednesday

And you know what a ``safe zone`` means. It means WAR.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What about Tartus???

"The Kremlin sent a strong message earlier this month when its aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, anchored off the Syrian port of Tartus. Then last week, Moscow said a draft resolution introduced at the U.N. Security Council by the Arab League calling on Assad to step aside “crosses our red lines.”

www.nytimes.com...



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think Russia is as serious as a heart attack when they warn not to do this. The U.S. rarely bluffs. Why is everyone assuming Putin is somehow just kidding everyone?

Their Aircraft carrier strikes me as something much closer to a U.S. helicopter carrier or something for size and power, but it's still a floating piece of Russian sovereign territory and they didn't intend humor when they parked it there. I'll be rather disappointed if Obama blunders us into World War III by assuming people are bluffing who may not even know the meaning of that word. :eek:



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by victor7

U.S. military beginning review of Syria options


security.blogs.cnn.com

By Barbara Starr

Although the U.S. focus remains on exerting diplomatic and economic pressure on Syria, the Pentagon and the U.S. Central Command have begun a preliminary internal review of U.S. military capabilities, CNN has learned.

The options are being prepared in the event President Barack Obama were to call for them. Two senior administration officials who spoke about the review to CNN emphasized that U.S. policy for now remains the use of non-military options.

The focus on diplomatic options was underscored by the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations in an interview with CNN o
(visit the link for the full news article)



Interesting...where was the "pentagon" and the "u.s. central command" during the Darfur massacre? In the name of diplomacy of course.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
 


I don't think AC Kuznetsov is still at Tartus. I think after 3 days stop it loaded on fuel and water and moved on.

If US attacks Syria then Russia might openly arm the regime and make it not 6 week but a 6 year war. Iran and Hizbullah will join in bringing Israel into the picture and then Arab unity might be broken. It would be a mess that is better off not starting in the first place.

US should let Assad stay, ask rebels to lay arms and importantly have both parties seek a civilized future for Syrian people with more rights and freedoms. Fighting wars is the last resort and ends up destroying nations.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Harkens back to South Osettia '08 - a near disaster:

"11/08/08 "Market Oracle" --- - The dramatic military attack by the military of the Republic of Georgia on South Ossetia in the last days has brought the world one major step closer to the ultimate horror of the Cold War era—a thermonuclear war between Russia and the United States—by miscalculation. What is playing out in the Caucasus is being reported in US media in an alarmingly misleading light, making Moscow appear the lone aggressor. The question is whether George W. Bush and Dick Cheney are encouraging the unstable Georgian President, Mikhail Saakashvili in order to force the next US President to back the NATO military agenda of the Bush Doctrine. This time Washington may have badly misjudged the possibilities, as it did in Iraq , but this time with possible nuclear consequences."

www.informationclearinghouse.info...



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by victor7
 

You're right about their ski-jump carrier. It's apparently running up past England and headed back home. It seems Putin went to wave the Russian flag and stake their claim, but won't risk their ship if things still go badly. I can't blame them. It's a ....interesting looking ship for an Aircraft carrier, but I wouldn't give it much for surviving a modern Naval battle with almost nothing for escorts, the way it seems to travel.

HMS Liverpool escorts Russian Carrier past UK Waters

Definitely agreed on the U.S. just needing to stay clear out of this. Let the Arabs fight the Persians and everyone fight Israel or whatever. I really would prefer not having to care for a change because, just once, America chooses to let nature take it's course without our having to be in the middle of it. Hmmmm


edit on 7-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
 


Things are a lot more serious than you try to show it.Russian WMD strategic forces are in a position of very high alert which has not been since Glasnost.


edit on 7-2-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
 


if we let nature take its coarse lots of bad things can happen.
say,,we could all be talking to each other in German right now. if you catch my drift
not always a good thing.
edit on 7-2-2012 by paradiselost333 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm


Interesting...where was the "pentagon" and the "u.s. central command" during the Darfur massacre? In the name of diplomacy of course.


Where was the UN during the Rwanda Genocide ?




posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradiselost333
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
 


if we let nature take its coarse lots of bad things can happen.
say,,we could all be talking to each other in German right now. if you catch my drift
not always a good thing.
edit on 7-2-2012 by paradiselost333 because: (no reason given)

Bad things are going to happen either way and whether the U.S. is a part of this or not. The sides transcend the U.S. and the grudges looking to be settled here really have little to do with us.

I'd just as soon not have Americans at the middle of it when it all explodes, personally. The U.S. can do much more by being intact and able to supply aid to the survivors in all nations about to get into this fight.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
 


Things are a lot more serious than you try to show it.Russian WMD strategic forces are in a position of very high alert which has not been since Glasnost.


edit on 7-2-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

Actually, I take this far more seriously than my messages may show. I'm simply coming to accept this is going to happen. After looking at the pipelines and gas numbers, it's pretty clear. The strategic issues alone force Russia's hand and it cannot allow Syria or Iran to fall entirely to a Western regime. The strategic cost to Russia would come across Europe, not the Middle East, and they just can't allow it.

I'm just trying to focus on other aspects.....since the reality of what looks about to happen any time now is just a bit much to dwell on. Realistically? I think it could start any day now that nations like Israel have talked specific time frames (a few months) for an attack. If they estimate long like that, I'd say it's just about ready to kick off now.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
 


Iran is not Russia's concern.Syria is. China's concern is Iran on the other hand.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The US military already has plans in the works regarding this region. It just makes common sense. How those plans work out is another story.



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
The US military already has plans in the works regarding this region. It just makes common sense. How those plans work out is another story.

Ya. Especially if Syria decides to launch chemical missiles at Israel and Turkey.

Or if Russia decides to send troops to Syria and tell the US to back off or else.



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by TDawgRex
The US military already has plans in the works regarding this region. It just makes common sense. How those plans work out is another story.

Ya. Especially if Syria decides to launch chemical missiles at Israel and Turkey.

Or if Russia decides to send troops to Syria and tell the US to back off or else.


Reminds me of the line...

"The best laid plans of mice and men."

Which reminds me of another line from "Murphy's Laws of Combat."

"No plan survives first contact."



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1
 


Who cares about Rwanda, Darfur, etc... No oil, not strategically located, no major interest... No possibility of a good war. Syria, Iran, N.Korea sound more promising. Let the show begin!



posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
 


Iran is not Russia's concern.Syria is. China's concern is Iran on the other hand.


The responsibilities for which major power handles which side of the issues may be divided that way for sheer practical reasons but don't underestimate how important Iran is to the Russian Federation. The minimum distance from Iranian soil to Russian soil is roughly 106 air miles. It's a pretty short boat ride up the Caspian to Russian beaches too, if the U.S. and Western powers control Iran. Russia has to be looking at that and deciding just what is acceptable to them in a real sense. We are crowding them very very hard here.



new topics

top topics



 
6
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join