It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neuroscience the new face of warfare: experts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Directed energy weapons that use wave beams to cause pain, and electrical brain stimulation that boosts a soldier's combat ability - it may sound like science fiction warfare, but experts say advances in neuroscience mean it's on the horizon.

Rapid progress in the ability to map brain activity and manipulate its responses with stimulants could change the face of warfare, a panel of experts said on Tuesday.

The experts, looking at the scope for neuroscience in future military conflict, said researchers on the cutting edge of medical science should remember that their work could have other, more harmful uses.

"We know neuroscience research has the potential to deliver great social benefit - researchers come closer every day to finding effective treatments for diseases and disorders such as Parkinson's, depression, schizophrenia, epilepsy and addiction," said Rod Flower, a professor of biochemical pharmacology at Queen Mary University of London, who led the panel.

"However, understanding of the brain and human behavior, coupled with developments in drug delivery, also highlight ways of degrading human performance that could possibly be used in new weapons."

Mind and machine, enhancement and directed energy weapons.

This one caught my attention, but it got pulled from my local paper's online version PDQ. Which of course, only made me MORE curious about it.

How to degrade your performance. I wonder what the laws are about testing this stuff?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

drugged up cyborgized zombies

remember folks, soldiers are always used as disposable guinea pigs

wonder why all the runaround with gulf syndrome? Remember Tuskegee.

lol join the army
become a lab freak

lol talk about being a Test-Dummy

IIRC Aeons you're into transhumanism?

this is how your hopes will be achieved, through this abomination who knows if this allready being worked out at gitmo and other secret prisons, or if this is where all those missing children went?
if i'm mistaken in your case never mind but all these transhumanists need to think it over

flagged as this is an important subject
edit on 7-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

I wonder what the laws are about testing this stuff?

"The Nuremberg code originated because of some of humanity’s darkest deeds. .... these principles — though now expanded several times in the Declarations of Helsinki (1964 and 1975, with further revisions in 1983 and 1989) and the Belmont Report (1979) — were created to protect people from inhumane treatment carried out in the name of scientific research. If these principles are fully adhered to, people should be protected from experiments without scientific merit and without full understanding and consent."
www.salem-news.com...

very illegal not that THEY care or aren't creating legal justifications
edit on 7-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'm part cyborg already, so I guess that you might say I lean in the transhumanism way.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
There were laws passed in the early to mid seventies about the use of psychotronic weapons on the civilian population. But there are many technologies designed around the same context, so the wording of both the description of the tech and the law is important, of course.
All these types of technologies and the research of neuroscience, like anything else, are double edged swords, obviously. But weaponizing in a variety of ways is usually where the motivations are inclined to lead. It's been going on quite some time.
It is the way, also, to the "hive" mind, and all those who claim we should be freed of our egos (though egos are quite necessary to identity, personal protection, making judgements, and survival) for there to be no more war, violence, or aggression because this is the only way people can be expected to behave civilly, should embrace this, I suppose. BTW, I often wonder about those who insist we are one and should be freed of our egos and how they would respond if someone was to plagiarize their words...... Take their hard earned dollars, claim credit for their thoughts, work, creations or discoveries, etc.... Sorry, got a little off the topic, there.

edit on 8-2-2012 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I will gladly invite all the soul-destroyers who want to live in my head to come for a try out.

I guarantee that I'll survive integrating them, and I am pretty sure that trying to integrate me would make most people go fracking double-expresso permanent acid trip crazy ass crazy. And that's on my good days.

These articles were came back out again today with a slightly more rosy tone, emphasizing the gosh-let-us-play-video-games aspect of this technology.

new topics

top topics

join