It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney's VP Pick?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
reply to post by Indigo5

I disagree. I predict that when the time comes, MANY Republicans, just like me, who aren't in any of the groups you'd consider to be "bat-crap crazy", will hold their noses and vote Republican, no matter who the nominee is.

We could predict the outcome all day long, but we won't know until November.

I'm also an optimist. I can't imagine people who consider themselves to be Republican suddenly voting Obama.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I see what you are saying...BUT the Hold your nose and vote crowd is not sufficient to win a general election.

There are three principle segments of the voting populace.

Left (45%), Right (45%) and the small moderate/independant Middle (10%).

That 10% decides elections.

The Left and Right are predictable...the Independant middle is not and is turned off by extremist views.

They will not hold thier nose and vote Romney...they don't see Obama as the anti-christ, but they don't think he is the second comming either and see issues based around practicality....economy etc.

The middle will look at an incumbant President with a slowly recovering economy vs. an idealogue extremist.

They will scratch their head a little, say well Obama is not the greatest, but that other guy is way, way over to the right and that is scary. The GOP calls it's own folks RINO's and traitors if they don't follow the far right lead, how on earth do you think they can appeal to the moderate middle independants? They will go Obama. That and I doubt EVERY Republican will show up to the polls holding thier nose to vote for Romney, some will stay home.

Not to say that a few previous Obama supporters will not stay home as well, but a much smaller number than the GOP IMO.

And the Independant Middle has been so alienated by the GOPs move to the far right...No one wins a general election without that tie-breaking 10% in the middle.

The GOP are the ones mobilizing the left with thier rhetoric...they are doing more for the Obama campaign than Obama ever could.

I see another 4 years for Obama and a whole lot of ugly theater in the meanwhile.

BTW- Love him or hate him, Romney is the poster boy for the 1%...and the OWS has some numbers and influence to toss around in the next 9 months...

Politics aside...I don't see a path to victory for Romney.

Right now the polls have Obama +3 to +6 over Romney in a general election...that is the moderate, independant middle talking.

edit on 8-2-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

You could definitely be right about the independents swaying this Obama's way...hope you're not, though!

The whole mess makes me sick.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Condi Rice is a very interesting notion... One that you'd have to be nuts not to at least consider, I certainly would.

Condi Rice

A token? She's never been a token anything in her life. Wicked smart. Author. Musician.

I don't actually think she'll get the nod... She's also intimidating, and Romney would be a bit overshadowed by a woman who is actually far more qualified to be President than he is...

I just plain like her. Big fan.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
A token? She's never been a token anything in her life.

Let me be clear...

token

black guy put in a movie in order to please the black community and give of the impression of racial acceptance
A minority that was deliberately put on a show or movie for the sake of being culturally diverse.

When I call her a "token", it's not because of who SHE is or the role SHE would play. I'm simply suggesting that she would be chosen by the GOP for her race and gender - much like Sarah Palin was chosen for her gender or Michael Steele was chosen for his race. I know Condi's extremely intelligent and I respect her, too, but I don't think the GOP would choose her for her intelligence.

My statement speaks to the GOP, not Condi. I'm a fan of hers as well.

She's also intimidating, and Romney would be a bit overshadowed by a woman who is actually far more qualified to be President than he is...

And that's why I think she won't get asked. She'd make a better president than any of the GOP contenders.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I echo BH above and I agree...Condi is brilliant. I think both her and Colin Powell were chosen by GW in part due to their race and were in that regard Token appointments.

To be fair, it would likely be untrue to claim that Pres. Obama has not considered race when appointing folks, though I personally feel his motivation might have been to break barriers rather than shield himself from accusations of racism, but still race plays a part.

She won't get the nod for VP..Both her and Powell teared up when President Obama got elected and the far right will not tolerate an ounce of support for the President, justified or not. Ditto Powell.

WASHINGTON -- An emotional Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reveled Wednesday in Barack Obama's election, calling it an "extraordinary step forward" for the nation.

A child of the segregated deep South who became the highest-ranking African-American woman ever in American government and was once considered a potential Republican presidential nominee, Rice called the Democratic president-elect "inspirational" and said his victory was proof of America's promise.

"This was an exercise in American democracy of which Americans across the political spectrum are justifiably proud," she said.

"As an African-American, I'm especially proud," said Rice, her eyes glistening with emotion, "because this is a country that's been through a long journey, in terms of overcoming wounds and making race" less of a factor in life. "That work is not done, but yesterday was obviously an extraordinary step forward."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

It is my strong opinion that the GOP will have to retreat from the far right before they will be able to win a general election again. They have handicapped themselves and it shows with the current nominees.

The far right...the TP movement etc. was a useful tool for the GOP establishment during the bottom of the economic crisis. It exploited base emotions...anger, stress, outrage...and yes some intolerance. All the things that peak during economic crisis.

The soical fabric has healed some in the past 12 to 18 months, and the economy is very slowly mending and frankly folks just got tired of being angry and decided to just plow forward and try and survive....all the while the GOP finds themselves still anchored to that far right base...anger ...which no longer has the traction it did a year or two ago. This erosion of traction in the voting public is shown in every poll and the fading of the TP.
They will secure their far right base, but that will alienate the growing middle and the far right doesn't have the numbers to win a general election.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Romney should pick Mickey Mouse because he's a Mickey Mouse candidate.

Though I hear Snagglepuss and Morty the Moose can be had for a slightly more reasonable price.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Romney needs a "true" social conservative at his side to appease the base. Judging by the congratulatory speech the other day, I'd say he's already picked Rick Santorum. Unfortunately, this might push the swing voters away. Romney's campaign poster should feature a pop art picture of him with the word "SETTLE."

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Indigo5

Romney should pick Mickey Mouse because he's a Mickey Mouse candidate.

Though I hear Snagglepuss and Morty the Moose can be had for a slightly more reasonable price.

Elmur Fudd...He has the NRA vote locked up. He rarely even makes a public appearance without his shotgun in hand.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Romney needs a "true" social conservative at his side to appease the base. Judging by the congratulatory speech the other day, I'd say he's already picked Rick Santorum. Unfortunately, this might push the swing voters away. Romney's campaign poster should feature a pop art picture of him with the word "SETTLE."

If I was a Romney Strategist I would tell him to ef the base.

He will get the hold your nose and vote crowd regardless of how much he panders, and they aren't buying it anyways. Those numbers won't change much. He needs the swing voters to win and he should run to the middle.

As it stands he is giving everything he has just to secure the hold your nose and vote crowd and it is a bit of a circus and not working to his advantage.

Go for the middle...the base will follow grudgingly....though I think it is likely too late to flop to the middle.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Never thought otherwise, BH. Didn't mean to imply otherwise...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I predict Rand Paul OR Mitch Daniels will be Mitt Romney's VP.

Mitch Daniels attended Bilderberg 2012 so either they will assign him to be Mitt's VP choice or incase Obama wins than Mitch Daniels will run for president in 2016.

The day after Mitt won those Texas delegates and basically sealed the deal as the Republican nomination he had a "secret" meeting with Rand Paul...

So I'm thinking it's one or the other.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Doesn't matter who he picks. His chances of winning are close to zero.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by macaronicaesar
Doesn't matter who he picks. His chances of winning are close to zero.

I think he has a very good chance of winning actually. Not that I want him to be the GOP nominee but I think he's the lesser of the 2 evils. There's no way I'd vote for Obama and if Mittens is the only other choice then he'd probably get my vote if Ron Paul is out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join