It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police get help with vets who are ticking bombs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The Justice Department is funding an unusual national training program to help police deal with an increasing number of volatile confrontations involving highly trained and often heavily armed combat veterans.

"We just can't use the blazing-guns approach anymore when dealing with disturbed individuals who are highly trained in all kinds of tactical operations, including guerrilla warfare," said Dennis Cusick, executive director of the Upper Midwest Community Policing Institute. "That goes beyond the experience of SWAT teams."

Being faced with a hard target and not the soft civilian who will immediately cower police are having to rethink their shock and awe approach.

The article mentions 15 pilot sites for the program.

Link

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
"I am so sick of hearing about, ‘Well, your leaders misspent your hard-earned tax dollars, so you the people, now have to tighten your belts … because we, your leaders, misspent your money.’ You know what would make tightening my belt a little easier? If I could tighten it around Jesse Helms’s scrawny little chicken-neck. … I’d tighten my belt if that were the case. I’d eat bologna for a week. … I’d sacrifice."

Bill Hicks. You will be missed.

Why are the good ones the ones who have left this world well before their time?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
so they can more effectivly deal with MEN like Jose Guerena who "survived two combat tours of Iraq, only to become a casualty of the Regime’s longest war — the one waged against its domestic subjects in the name of drug prohibition. The former Marine was slaughtered by a SWAT team during a May 5 assault on his home in Arizona."
yeah that must be it... Wake up people they cant stand competition!

edit on 7-2-2012 by freakshowfatty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The attempt to manage these guys by hamstringing them is failing.

Wouldn't it be nice to figure out how to put them back on your side. They had all the qualities you wanted at one point - surely they have them still. I mean, other than inconveniently not dying.

This is the fundamental problem with only two categories - enemies/potential enemies, and not-enemies.

A few more gradiations of grey, with some ideas generated on how to more usefully bring these people on side would go a LONG way.

I'm just saying....treat them like enemies, they might act like them.
edit on 2012/2/7 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

exactly, they should be re-integrated and helping to run things not treated as a separate, somehow negative thing and utilize all the money spent on time and training

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by freakshowfatty

They're trying to take the ones that arent too far gone and shuffle them into law enforcement.

Bills are passing in states all over the country to make it so veterans qualify for simply having served.

Some examples: www.examiner.com...
minnesota.publicradio.org...
helenair.com...

At the same time: Bill will create alternative sentencing courts for veterans
edit on 7-2-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Being a Combat Veteran, an ATS member, and my current views make me feel like I have a huge target on my back at all times. It's angering to think that being a patriot is the same as a terrorist these days. They are doing everything in the book to group us all as death crazed blood sucking lunatics so that the rest of the population will start to fear us. I know that I have faced many challenges and have yet to find a non vet who will hire vets these days. Let's face the facts. Our government is very sucessfull at creating terrorism all over the world so what will stop them from doing the same thing here at home with us. I think we should all band together, buy a huge piece of land with everything that we need and declare it a soveirgn land and start over without the tyranny and oppression that we currently face. The U.S, Government is trying to alienate it's true patriots and it is time to stand up and say enough is enough. Semper Fidelis to the U.S. Constitution and NOT to the peices of junk who call themselves our leaders.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I pretty much fit that catagory and I can tell you I do not want to be in law enforcement at all. Ever seen Maj. Payne? Show me some guy who abused a kid or beats the ladies and he's gonna have an accident getting into the car,if he makes it that far. If ANYONE shoots at me..well I guess that really isn't "me " after that it's just training. Wait,I have a really good idea,how about just leave me alone because I obey the law?Or rmaybe just a bit of respect for the individual?
That might work.
edit on 7-2-2012 by cavtrooper7 because: gramatical correction

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

I have a family member who tested out well for being a cop. His reaction to the test - Yeah, test doesn't test for the "BANG BANG. Stop. BANG BANG" reaction.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Of course, a thinking person might wonder why veterans are feeling motivated to use their training against the authorities in the first place.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by freakshowfatty

They're trying to take the ones that arent too far gone and shuffle them into law enforcement.

"Not being too far gone," probably doesn't quite mean what some think it does, perhaps.

They likely won't have a problem at all with PTSD sufferers becoming cops, if it makes them more violent. What they really don't want, on the other hand, is anybody who takes their oath to defend the Constitution seriously.

The way things are going, I would expect said oath itself to actually be abolished, before too much longer. Either that, or they will change the wording so that those who take the oath, are taking an oath of loyalty to the cabal themselves, and not the Constitution.

A lot of people on here have accused me of being a leftist recently; but as someone who lives in Australia, I seem to be a lot more unhappy about what is being done to the American Constitution at the moment, than a lot of Americans themselves. I am only a leftist (if I am at all) in the sense that I believe in being kind to people, which apparently is classified as leftism these days, and I didn't make that decision.

I am NOT a leftist in the sense of supporting collectivist tyranny. Yes, I do believe in people being interdependent on each other; but only in the context of small groups; ideally no more than probably 100 people per group, tops. I do NOT believe in world federalism, or any other form of federalism for that matter. The type of collective I advocate, if you want to call it that, would be a family or the sort of group that used to live together on a farm anyway.

If you people do not fight to preserve your Constitution, you will deserve what you get as a result of its' abolition; and you know as well as I do what that will mean.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
stuff like this out there, and people STILL say alex jones is a crazy liar for saying boy scouts have been training to take on veterans...

Scouts Train to Fight Terrorists, and More

May 13, 2009

IMPERIAL, Calif. — Ten minutes into arrant mayhem in this town near the Mexican border, and the gunman, a disgruntled Iraq war veteran, has already taken out two people, one slumped in his desk, the other covered in blood on the floor.

The responding officers — eight teenage boys and girls, the youngest 14 — face tripwire, a thin cloud of poisonous gas and loud shots — BAM! BAM! — fired from behind a flimsy wall. They move quickly, pellet guns drawn and masks affixed...

...“This is about being a true-blooded American guy and girl,” said A. J. Lowenthal, a sheriff’s deputy here in Imperial County, whose life clock, he says, is set around the Explorers events he helps run. “It fits right in with the honor and bravery of the Boy Scouts.”

The training, which leaders say is not intended to be applied outside the simulated Explorer setting, can involve chasing down illegal border crossers as well as more dangerous situations that include facing down terrorists and taking out “active shooters,” like those who bring gunfire and death to college campuses. In a simulation here of a raid on a marijuana field, several Explorers were instructed on how to quiet an obstreperous lookout.

“Put him on his face and put a knee in his back,” a Border Patrol agent explained. “I guarantee that he’ll shut up.”

One participant, Felix Arce, 16, said he liked “the discipline of the program,” which was something he said his life was lacking. “I want to be a lawyer, and this teaches you about how crimes are committed,” he said.

Cathy Noriega, also 16, said she was attracted by the guns. The group uses compressed-air guns — known as airsoft guns, which fire tiny plastic pellets — in the training exercises, and sometimes they shoot real guns on a closed range.

“I like shooting them,” Cathy said. “I like the sound they make. It gets me excited.”

But the more than 2,000 law enforcement posts across the country are the Explorers’ most popular, accounting for 35,000 of the group’s 145,000 members, said John Anthony, national director of Learning for Life. Since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, many posts have taken on an emphasis of fighting terrorism and other less conventional threats...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
Being a Combat Veteran, an ATS member, and my current views make me feel like I have a huge target on my back at all times. It's angering to think that being a patriot is the same as a terrorist these days. They are doing everything in the book to group us all as death crazed blood sucking lunatics so that the rest of the population will start to fear us. I know that I have faced many challenges and have yet to find a non vet who will hire vets these days. Let's face the facts. Our government is very sucessfull at creating terrorism all over the world so what will stop them from doing the same thing here at home with us. I think we should all band together, buy a huge piece of land with everything that we need and declare it a soveirgn land and start over without the tyranny and oppression that we currently face. The U.S, Government is trying to alienate it's true patriots and it is time to stand up and say enough is enough. Semper Fidelis to the U.S. Constitution and NOT to the peices of junk who call themselves our leaders.

as a combat veteran I completely agree

but that is what makes us the bad guy, we fought for our 'freedoms,' then return home only to realize how messed up things really are. when you speak up about it and claim to stand behind the constitution and our citizens, than you are put into the 'lone wolf crazy' category.
edit on 8-2-2012 by SGTSECRET because: .

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1825114
stuff like this out there, and people STILL say alex jones is a crazy liar for saying boy scouts have been training to take on veterans...

The real problem here, is the fact that Americans are trained from the cradle to worship the military as gods, and basically view themselves as pond scum if they remain civilians. I remain convinced that this is the main reason for the popularity of Survivalism; it doesn't really have that much to do with prepping itself, at all, but a lot more to do with civilians attempting to relieve their own persistent, gnawing sense of inadequacy.

So sure, scouts are going to love it if they get trained to use air rifles and plastic shotguns. They might not be on the level of real troops, no; but if you're desperate enough to delude yourself that you're hardcore, without having to experience real combat, then even World of Warcraft or the Call of Duty computer games will work.
edit on 8-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

well then the training should be harnessed by something more relaxed corporate gigs like vets

new topics

top topics

join