It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the schools are failing in the U.S.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Get more money for more equipment and better books, keep useless teachers out, most importantly the kids need to shut their friggin mouths off and use their brains for learning instead of who's screwing who, and what will we wear tommorrow. Also no more of this neutral colors for grading papers so that kids dont feel bad when they fail. Back when i was in school in Tennessee mind you, we actually atleast tried to learn things and when we got failing grades we either did better later or got left behind. Your in school to learn things so you dont wind up either doing a job you'll hate or being a career criminal. I want evrybody to be able to stick it to the man and do what they want when they leave school. Sadly this won't happen for everyone but you can still try.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Many (middle) schools are geared towards girls' preferences and opinions. They can wear shirts degrading boys and the mostly female teachers accept it. Our local middle school has massive texting during class and actually
plays lil Momma's "Lipgloss" and other classics over the intercom. Messed up stuff.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

A Charter school is a public school that has been outsourced, nothing more. If a handful can be held up as good examples, it just promotes the privatization agenda and the whole new system as a whole has nothing more powerful to show than the same old system we call a public education.

The only difference is that instead of the tax payer handing their property taxes over to the State and then the State passing those funds out to the school districts, a Charter school just interjects itself as the middle man and takes the tax money from the State, no questions asked, and then has say over what to do with those funds.

A public school has no profit motive...a charter school has a profit motive and that's out of the SAME POOL OF TAX MONEY the tax payers were giving the Public schools to begin with.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Well those are great theories on "why", i just blame the parents.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Hello Guys,

I don't know what's the exact reason. I think teacher play big rolls for that. Mostly classes depends on hours in USA.

Best Robotics Engineering college in India

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I disagree with the OP.

First, today’s children aren’t “stupid” by comparison of yesterday’s youth. Cross-longitudinal studies have shown little variation between different generations’ average scores on intelligence assessments.

Second, public schools now include students with special needs. Prior to 1975, students with intellectual and developmental disabilities were precluded from public schools (and that undoubtedly has shaped older people’s perceptions of childhood norms.) Today, public schools by law must provide a “free and appropriate public education” for all students. This means schools must include severely disabled students, students from extremely impoverished regions, students who don’t speak the native language, etc. With the passage of No Child Left Behind, these low-functioning students’ scores on standardized tests are included in national statistics, and this just presents an image of crisis, when in fact, we’re seeing for the first time what happens when all children are included in public education.

In other words, don’t buy the hype.

Now, to address the OP’s individual points: 1) teaching the test is a real problem but it is overstated, in my opinion, as “low” averages on standardized tests suggest teachers aren’t aligning their curricula with national standards, 2) the curriculum for Tennessee looks fine (in fact, I’m surprised and pleased they included IB electives) and I’m not sure what you find objectionable, and 3) bad parenting is nothing new.

I think the system is okay, but left-wing and right-wing activists have created this false sense of crisis so they can swoop in and take control of education under the banner of “Save the Children!”

(Oh, and yay! My first post!)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a overhaul of the education system is needed

top topics

<< 1   >>

join