It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb As A Rock: You Will Be Absolutely Amazed At The Things That U.S. High School Students Do Not Kn

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
I blame the food supply and lack of critical thinking skills, and new age propaganda (ufos, chemtails, 2012, etc.)

I would add vaccines to that list. Autism and other disorders are basically skyrocketing.

Prevalence of Autism Now 1 in 150, According to New CDC Report
(February 8, 2007)

www.autismspeaks.org...

Autism Prevalence Rises to 1 in 110 Children
(January 19, 2010)

www.yai.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Another thing in the USA schooling system is that you HAVE to go to the school you're assigned to by where you live.

I lived in the inner city for more than half of my public schooling years. There was no getting out of it unless your parents had money to send you to a private school, all of which were catholic
Mine didn't and the last thing I wanted to do is be indoctrinated in catholic ideology.

The inner city schools didn't have DESKS for some of the kids. The inner city schools didn't have books for all of the kids, you had to share in half of the classes. Not to mention all the books were falling apart an 10 years old.

I also was robbed at school for my chain. There were multiple fights EVERY single day (no exaggerations).

If you acted bad in class you got thrown out and the punishment was to go sit in an old elevator hallway. How is that going to help anyone?

The kids did what they wanted, no one really cared. Everyone had a "oh well they're damage goods" sort of attitude. I didn't ask to be born in the ghetto,no one else did either. And I know the parents are half to blame for it as well. But the school environment just made it worse.

Then when I finally moved to the suburbs, I was in culture shock. The school actually had paint that wasn't falling off the wall. People actually did there work and there were NO fights. There were enough books and desks to go around.

It was just so weird for me to go through such a change like that. It was like moving to another country or something, at least that's what I felt like at the time.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Thanks

Yours are too

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
I thank God I was born into my generation. In the 3rd grade we were taught proper use of the telephone, how a grocery store works and they provided a cash register so we could learn how to make change. We were taught Real American History & Science and on and on . The DOE has been a total failure since its inception.

edit on 7-2-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

The funny thing is, that it is your generation that is teaching the current one.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

I can tell you what happened....

Lawyers

Sounds like you attended one of them thar underfunded schools!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

It's good to see a first hand and down to earth description of the disparities between the haves and the have nots.

We need more people like you around here to help keep it real.

I was fortunate enough to be brought up close to decent enough schools. I remember in the first grade I memorized all the capitals of every state. The "test" was the teacher naming states at random and some of the other kids in class taking turns to name the capitals. Me and some girl were the only ones to get all them right.

I guess it all comes down to how much money an area has and whether the schools employ people who actually care.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I graduated a couple years ago.. A lot of the teachers there were under the age of 30. There were a couple teachers that essentially tried to "wake us up". I was already awoke after 10th grade. Some of the teachers are just horrible, can't teach worth anything. Some even said it's just a babysitting job.

Some kids are bad as hell. If you couple that with bad teachers and parents who don't care much, it becomes a catastrophe for the kid. Not saying the kid can't overcome the hardships, because they can. I've seen it happen. I believe it becomes easier with a motivational parent on board. Not just giving repetitive speeches but actually teaming up with the teachers really makes it better for the kid.

This thread is one of the reasons I want to be a HS teacher. Not in history, but in Chemistry. I feel like I can teach and help them understand. I believe in order to learn you have to begin from the roots not just begin where the last grade left off. I want to help kids understand our world in a new light..

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

i suspect poller bias and a selected sample - i have been ` unlucky ` enough to have been ambushed twice by tv/ camera crew " conducting a survey " - and both times they cut the survey short and went looking for another victim , why ? i assume because i knew the answers to the first 5 question - and having someone on who knew the answers would not be good tv - as they were clearly looking for dumb people to laugh at

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Democracy works extremely well among stupid population. You can make them vote whatever you need.
You need consumers and cheap labor, not intelligent people, that may start to ask wrong questions.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

ok?.......

and how exactly is knowing the first 10 ammendments soppused to help you get through in the real world?

seriously who the hell has pointed a gun at you and asked you to name the time that the civil war took place?!

pointless survey conducted, on even more pointless and FAKED historical facts

The Constitution and its amendments are not so difficult to comprehend and gain a working knowledge of with investment of a little time and effort.

Understanding at least the foundation of the political system in which you live seems important to me. Knowing your political and legal rights, the lines you must not cross, and how to recognize when others - especially those holding positions of authority - cross those lines, is fundamental. The general public's lack of that knowledge is what allows their political leaders to trample them under foot with impunity.

The general public's lack of awareness of their deeply conditioned subconscious respect, obedience, and fear of authority is a major problem in America.

Many kids today tend to be pretty ignorant, incompetent, and unable or unwilling to do much for themslves except pursue a state of being mindlessly entertained as much of the time as possible. Just watching others do is not the same as doing yourself and doesn't develop usable skills. It's something but it isn't sufficient to develop a skill set. You learn by doing, making mistakes, and doing again, and keep repeating until the skill set becomes second nature, and rare few develop their chosen area of focus to levels of excellence.

Competence in any area requires effort, patience, perseverence, and focused attention. Learning new skills, changing your mind set, and overcoming mental barriers can be uncomfortable. At times It will literally feel like your brain hurts, and that's a good thing because it is evidence that you're making progress.

Don't be impatient or expect yourself to "get it" immediately. You will "get it" in time if you are patient and persevere. And you will know when you've "got it" and are ready to move to the next level. Trust yourself to recognize when you're ready. But don't make the mistake of expecting results from doing nothing. It will not happen.

Above all, refrain from comparing your rate of progress to that of others, or theirs to yours. Learning and developing mental skills is like lifting weights in the gym. Don't lift more than you are capable of lfiting right now or you'll hurt yourself and impair your progress. Trust that you will gain strength and be able to lift more and more as you invest time and effort in your work outs.

Sadly, many today don't understand oer apply these basic principles. If the SHTF and they had to fend for themselves many would be utterly lost unless they are able to to find someone to carry their weight in addition to that person's own weight, and would likely have resort to some very base behavior to survive, and many would just not last very long especially in urban areas.

The statisitcs on the percentage of kids who today fail to graduate high school and have no marketable skills is troubling.
edit on 2/8/2012 by dubiousone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
As my daughter grew up, I saw no such thing as "dumbing down".. And when we were attending her band banquet, at the end of her graduating year, they all annouced their plans. All but one, out of about 100 graduating band students, were going to college. The lone student that wasn't, was going to the armed forces. Each one of my daughters friends had a keen area of interest. And that is what dictated the dream they followed.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I don't think ALL kids are stupid, lazy and spoiled. That's a stupid and lazy observation. Who is teaching the kids? Adults. Who decides what kids learn? Adults. As a kid I could care less about politics and wars. I don't think the US has been tops in education for awhile now. It seems older generations tend to think their's was/is better than all the rest before or after. If only everyone could be as smart as your generation.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Im afraid to say it but im sure america's school education is below par by far and has been for a while, Its an act of purpose because it allows control,regulation, lack of intrest in area's deemed unfit for public knowledge, And that is why mainstream media is pushed and technology is thrown at us in in the mass's because it keeps you busy and quite while at the same time still being regulated and maintained.

There is a good documentry on it actually,

But i do agree it not the silly history were learning that we need to learn its the history we dont learn that we should. Oh and how to interact with manners and respect. Not to forget the failing of commen sense that seem's to be on the increase throughout each genaration thats born into this world, But thats what happens when you have silly CHILDREN having children who where bought up by parents who lived the rebellion. It can only get worse im afraid it a slow unstoppable road.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
People learn during their whole life, there is nothing unusual to not know some stuff in a ung age.

They might concentrate on other things importent at that moment of their life, and later catch up to the rest.
I think that it's pretty common.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

I agree this is the case. There has been a minimum instituted in Academic achievement in recent years to accommodate minorities, and that is just wrong. The youth by and large will take the path of least resistance, and it shows grievously. At the cost of those students that are adept or capable of much higher learning. Basic cultural structure is much to blame and is reflected in ethnic backgrounds. Two parent families children have a much higher % of success and or the ability to achieve far more in the American landscape than do impoverished families or single parent families. It just is, and you can jump up and play the 'Race' card all you want, it won't diminish the fact Asians and Whites have more opportunity than Blacks or Hispanics, blacks due to family structure and peer groups, and Hispanics due to peer and then enclave demographics. I have brilliant friends in all of these ethnicities, but also have been around some less education oriented ethnic groups as well where social and peer pressure mold their upbringing. Ask the average 'JOE' on the street, "Who is the vice president of the US" and probably half will not know. Ask "what are the Falklands" and again you will get blank looks or "UH.......their a.....uhhh.........." Keep in mind, most relevant information is stored close to the surface, and un-needed information will not be remembered or accumulated if it has no interest factor. Then too the popular herb marijuana does little in the way of memory, and is the # 1 most popular 'drug' available and widely used. This also accounts in an ethnic way, as the propensity of usage is not dominant with Asians or Whites, though ALL ethnicities use it.

Additionally, entitlements play a role in encouraging an individual to achieve. Either they are sick of poverty and wish to escape it, or they are content to remain within its influence. Of course there are those who simply fall through the cracks due to the effects of poverty, and are victim of circumstance.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

It is the same the world over (well, in the western world anyway), where we have had 30 year drives to improve the examination standards of pupils. The result is that pupils are getting better and better exam results whilst having a far worse understanding of the subject. Teachers are told to teach how to pass exams, not to teach understanding of a subject. I know - i was a teacher. But left because, frankly, it was becoming depressing as hell.

I once asked pupils where milk came from and one little numpty (was being serious, didn't have the intelligence to be funny) said "the shops". I once got carpeted for expecting a 13 year old to understand what a question is - they were supposed to be interviewing historical figures and asking questions. She simply didn't understand what i was asking her to do - "what's a question sir?" - i went slightly ballistic and had to discuss it with the head mistress - told her she was mad is she thought that was acceptable levels of education for a 13 year old!

So no, i am not surprised by this in the slightest. Im actually a bit surprised things aren't worse yet because believe me, it is coming. On a non educational front, standards started slipping more when it seemed to become the vogue to NOT encourage competition in schools. Not sure of the link tbh but that is when it started becoming more noticeable.....

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
It's a big stretch for them to say your High School students are really stupid. I especially found this part funny

If our students cannot even find Iraq and New York on a map, what hope is there that they will be able to think critically about the important world events of our day?

Those two halves of the sentence don't add up at all. Geography and critical thinking?

Anyways, I've met a few US students, and despite their lack of manners they seemed to be pretty well informed people. I doubt they are a minority. I as an outsider, look at the US education system as a success. If it wasn't working, you wouldn't have great minds coming from your country nearly every day.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
With a rising generation - and probably a generation now in their 20s and 30s, as well - so ignorant, it will be much easier for unscrupulous politicians (yes, there's more than one kind!) to flimflam them.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Well this I can believe....because of the some of the thought process that Americans have on this site.

Especially when it comes to the birther movement.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
I thank God I was born into my generation. In the 3rd grade we were taught proper use of the telephone, how a grocery store works and they provided a cash register so we could learn how to make change. We were taught Real American History & Science and on and on . The DOE has been a total failure since its inception.

edit on 7-2-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

Right on...Ive been saying for a long time that highschool needs a "life" class...
And its not just basic knowledge of facts its crap like how to do laundry or move over for a police vehicle with it sirens on or balance a check book. Stuff your parents should teach you, but obviiously many arent.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Have you ever had to serve some of the fast food customers.
You know, the ones that have the audacity to complain about waiting in a line, and then when it comes down to it, they didn't use any of that time to look at the menu and decide what they want?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join