It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb As A Rock: You Will Be Absolutely Amazed At The Things That U.S. High School Students Do Not Kn

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Believer101

Don't actually disagree with that - as i said, the system is messed up rather than the youth.

However, algebra is actually very important on many levels, not least of which is working out formula and logarithms for computers, etc. After all, computers do not actually think, they simply process numbers that humans punch into them!

Properly smart people (not me, was never that good at maths) do not use calculators - the brain is more accurate (if you know what you are doing).

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Not all schools are created equally.

I have two sister in laws who have been teachers, one for special ed for over 30 years each.

My best girlfriend is a teacher for almost 28 years.

What they are teaching now compared to what they use to teach has changed as well as all three admit that the better neighborhoods, (more money, college educated parents, better jobs) have better schools and better equipment.

And then there are genes.

You sound a little smug to me and I don't mean this as an attack.

Most people think they made it all on their own, not realizing that it's mostly (not all) sheer luck.

For the most part it is our genes that determine one's level of intelligence, your gene pool, your parents, your place of birth, your upbringing (all on a range from nurturing to abusive), many factors determine how a human being turns out but the key factor, the foundation is genes.

Grandpa was a farmer and he always said, "If you plant a rose, a rose is what you will get, not a sunflower or a daisy." He was very careful the day he picked out El Toro, his bull.

Most people like to think we humans are above and better than the rest of the "animals" we share this earth with.

When I was living on a farm we had a baby chick that was born with a defective beak, wing and leg - he/she looked different, walked funny, was different from the start.

End result...........one morning I came out to feed them and the other chickens had pecked the little mutant, misfit, malformed chick to death. "That", Grandpa said "is nature's way".

Are we to rise above that animal mentality or are we the same?

I did a statistical study of people in prison and most are lower in intelligence and had very unfavorable (abusive) home situations.

We are now raising a whole generation where 50% of our US youth are being brought up in one parent households, how many kids are key latch and left simply to fend for themselves?

A lot, I witnessed this while I stayed home with my three sons and baby sat other people's children and this was in the early 80's.

According to Dr. Michio Kaku, if our species are to survive long enough to become a Class One Civilization, we must have our technological advancement parallel with our spiritual (or heart/kindness) development and I don't see that happening.

Where has our intelligence gotten us?

The Atom bomb was created by some of the most intelligent men/women on the planet.

We need equality in education for each and every child, not just the 1%, the haves and have mores.

We need to teach our children to think outside the box as well as the basics, Reading, writing and Math. Geography is changing so drastically that our big world globe we have in the family room is now outdated.

But more than anything we need more Jane Goodalls, Mother Theresas, Mahatma Gandhis, Jesuses, Buddhas, etc.

Intelligence without creativity and heart will lead us to self destruction.

To parents and care givers of young children:

Severely limit your child's TV and really watch with them what they are watching. Don't let that boob tube baby sit your charge.

Throw out all violent video games. How about PC Scrabble, Bookworm, Breaking Bricks, Tetris, other games that challenge the mind and reflexes without promoting violence.

There is way too much violence and that feeds the savage ape in all of us.

Our movies and sitcoms are, for the most part a waste, a real waste.

What are they teaching our children?

Garbage to be good little drones, good little slaves.

Therein lies a conspiracy.

When I watched that video of those helicopter pilots machine gunning down those people in Iraq, laughing and giggling like it was one big fracking video game, the big picture became clear.

Our educational system is not equal.
Video games are getting more realistically violent in order to make sure our children become desensitized to human and animal suffering
And if we don't grow up fast and try to ensure every child gets a fair start than we as a species are headed down a very dark road indeed.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
Yeah I guess I'm kind of biased, I love history

Thank you for admitting that. History is full of marvelous art and technology, but I don't see Obama going crazy over a piece of pottery unearthed in an Indian burial ground, or maybe an old tool from the Egyptian times.

There is need-to-know, and there is want-to-know. Half the stuff schools teach is neither of these...it's simply a metaphorical arms race as our government tries to prove to China that "Yes, our students ARE as good as yours."

I still haven't decided if we are preventing an invasion by show of knowledge, or fighting for simple bragging rights.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by Xtrozero
If you don't know history your Dumb? I agree History is a weak subject in school and only those interested in it go any farther, but society is always changing as to what it feels is important to know or not know.
You go anywhere and you find very ignorant people, high school students are no different.

This is part of what I was trying to say. No one agrees on what's important to know...so they decide everything is important to know, then proceed to cram twelve text books down a 14 year old's protesting throat and expect them to regurgitate every answer the teacher wishes to hear onto a piece of paper, after which they will never again use that information.

Unreasonable expectations, indeed.

Well with all the basic subjects lets add computer classes such as internet, Word, Power Point, spreadsheets etc...

One thing to remember is we do not need to know things like we did in the past when kids read encyclopedias and a few books on each subject, we can search anything in seconds and be an expert in minutes.

Now let's take a kid from 1950 and give him 30 mins to learn and tell us everything about WW1, and do the same with a 2012 kid....get my point?

edit on 8-2-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

As I said before...

OMG IT'S A CONSPIRACY! OCCUPY EDUCATION!!!

There's caution, and there's paranoia. Be careful you don't slip and drown...I doubt any conspiracy (if, indeed, there is one) among the educational leaders of the country is bigger than the ones covering the entire world.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101
OP, this is a tad messed up. Youth today are not dumb as rocks. They get bored.

I'm an 18 year old woman, a few months away from getting a Degree in Therapeutic Massage. I never completed high-school. Got my GED, and my grades from when I in high-school there were terrible. I haven't completed a year of school since I was in 7th grade. Wanna know why? I was bored.

Nothing they teach in high-school pertains to the real world. I have never had to use Algebra in anything I've done; I've never had to read an entire novel, then write an essay on said novel; I've never had to recite specific dates pertaining to historic events. Yes, historic events are important, however, the dates aren't as much. I would rather hear my younger sister (16 yoa) tell me why the Civil War happened than when.

While the education system is a bit messed up, I agree, you cannot blame the entirety of youth for a few bad-apples.

And...jenga! Thank you, Believer.

This is the point I'm trying to make. All of you on this thread are going on about how they need to teach kids all of these things...don't you realize kids will only use about HALF of this knowledge when they get a job?

Seriously...talk about eating all of the pig.

This is exactly what I'm trying to say. A majority of the things we learn in high-school don't have anything to do with our field of work, or life out side of school in general.
If you're going to go to college for something that has to deal with math at an excessive level, take those algebra classes. For everyone else that isn't, have them take a class on finances and other things that actually pertains to their life.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

If you don't know history your Dumb? I agree History is a weak subject in school and only those interested in it go any farther, but society is always changing as to what it feels is important to know or not know.
You go anywhere and you find very ignorant people, high school students are no different.

This is part of what I was trying to say. No one agrees on what's important to know...so they decide everything is important to know, then proceed to cram twelve text books down a 14 year old's protesting throat and expect them to regurgitate every answer the teacher wishes to hear onto a piece of paper, after which they will never again use that information.

Well with all the basic subjects lets add computer classes such as internet, Word, Power Point, spreadsheets etc...

One thing to remember is we do not need to know things like we did in the past when kids read encyclopedias and a few books on each subject, we can search anything in seconds and be an expert in minutes.

Now let's take a kid from 1950 and give him 30 mins to learn and tell us everything about WW1, and do the same with a 2012 kid....get my point?

Yep, I got ya.

Unfortunately, that just means teachers will say, "Oh, you can do it...you have the internet. Now, type out this 30 page essay and have it in by Friday."

Say WHAAAAAA~?

Teachers expect the internet to be your educational steroid. HAHAHA - no. It is not. Does your car enable you to be at work in less than 30 seconds?

No? Sweet. You can have 15 pages by Monday.

link   

I disagree massively with this - just because you can get instant answers it most certainly doesn't make you an expert. I could ask you to explain star formation and get a response from wiki in 5 minutes or so - would that mean you actually understand the processes involved or simply that you could say what they were.......there is a massive difference between the two.

link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Don't actually disagree with that - as i said, the system is messed up rather than the youth.

However, algebra is actually very important on many levels, not least of which is working out formula and logarithms for computers, etc. After all, computers do not actually think, they simply process numbers that humans punch into them!

Properly smart people (not me, was never that good at maths) do not use calculators - the brain is more accurate (if you know what you are doing).

While that is true, you have to remember today's day and age. Technology is advancing to where it does most of that for us. We have to shift the way the education system works in order to keep up with technology in today's time.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Have you read through the entire thread...............go back to my video on page 3.

Yes there is a conspiracy.

The elite 1% don't want the natives getting too smart because people who think for themselves cannot be controlled as easily.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Yep, I got ya.

Unfortunately, that just means teachers will say, "Oh, you can do it...you have the internet. Now, type out this 30 page essay and have it in by Friday."

Say WHAAAAAA~?

Teachers expect the internet to be your educational steroid. HAHAHA - no. It is not. Does your car enable you to be at work in less than 30 seconds?

I have to disagree with you on that. In my college classes, when papers and other research things are due, we're required to have 3-5 sources for our information, and we are allowed only one source from the internet.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Hun, not everything is a conspiracy. Take a step back and take a breather for a second.

Today's youth are bored with the education system as it does not pertain to life outside of school. No conspiracy, no "keeping kids dumb", nothing like that. The education system is just a little skewed as they believe things are important when they truly are not.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

While that is true, you have to remember today's day and age. Technology is advancing to where it does most of that for us. We have to shift the way the education system works in order to keep up with technology in today's time.

Yes, we have to shift education to keep up with all the technology being used to raze Iran and bomb Syria...

Technology is being monopolized by the government and military. We have played with it, now they spy and kill with it.

Education is only effective when employment standards (and I mean day-to-day work, not just hiring) require it. Most of them want you to have a high school diploma. The joke is on you when you've been there a month and barely used a third of what you learned in all four years of high school.

Only the good jobs test your education, and those require a college degree...and it's a bleedin' Mafia war trying to get into those positions.

Yep...education guarantees you good things. Try telling that to the unemployment line. I know a man who writes beautifully and has designed smash-hit video games...he still is looking for a good line of work, and he's just an average citizen.

Well-rounded education = good life? Hahaha...nice try. Check the statistics, if you will.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Without understanding of the subject matter, how do you build those machines in the future? Brains are more advanced than computers - fact. They are capable of rational thought. Computers, on the other hand, simply process info put into them by people.

Academic success isn't for everyone, people have different strengths. This should be recognised at school level and treated as such, rather than simply trying to get as many students as possible to pass so the figures for the school look good. Believe me, that is what is about these days and the orders come from government / dept of education.

We need academic schools and we need vocational schools. In all honesty, most decent teachers could identify at an early age which pupils are likely to be uni candidates and which are not. And making the choice isn't dooming someone that takes the vocational route to a life of servitude - hell, i know plenty of people who were never academic who make far more than me or some of my other friends that went to uni. A skilled engineer is worth his / her salt the world over......

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yep, I got ya.

Say WHAAAAAA~?

I have to disagree with you on that. In my college classes, when papers and other research things are due, we're required to have 3-5 sources for our information, and we are allowed only one source from the internet.

Oh, I'm talking typing the paper out. Oh really? You never had my English teacher.

You wanna judge all of education standard based off of your own experience? Good luck with that.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
If teachers taught their students about the reality our economy, and how the future of the students hang in the balance then they will start to care

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Without understanding of the subject matter, how do you build those machines in the future? Brains are more advanced than computers - fact. They are capable of rational thought. Computers, on the other hand, simply process info put into them by people.

Academic success isn't for everyone, people have different strengths. This should be recognised at school level and treated as such, rather than simply trying to get as many students as possible to pass so the figures for the school look good. Believe me, that is what is about these days and the orders come from government / dept of education.

We need academic schools and we need vocational schools. In all honesty, most decent teachers could identify at an early age which pupils are likely to be uni candidates and which are not. And making the choice isn't dooming someone that takes the vocational route to a life of servitude - hell, i know plenty of people who were never academic who make far more than me or some of my other friends that went to uni. A skilled engineer is worth his / her salt the world over......

Are we assuming the job market for mechanical industries is thriving? Oh, I thought we were discussing reality.

This is America, land of the rich, home of the destitute.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
For arguments sake, let's say you, a normal person, were thrown basically against your will into a class about Physics. You know a little about it, but it never excited you and you were never passionate about the subject. You do not want to be there, and you do not care, per say, about learning more on Physics.
While in that class, what would you do? Would you fully pay attention to every word said, or would you slack off and not pay attention because it does not pertain or appeal to your way of life?

That's basically what's going on in high-school to today's youth. We honestly don't care enough to learn about certain things that don't appeal or pertain to us and our lives outside of school.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
If teachers taught their students about the reality our economy, and how the future of the students hang in the balance then they will start to care

No, then they will be prescribed Prozac and start swimming toward the light...

In all seriousness, do you actually think knowing what a bad job our government is doing will motivate students to do better?

I would bet at least 30% drop out before the year was over. Why? Because there is no use fighting a battle you know you'll lose. Might as well get a head start on learning to survive without an education...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Isn't that what you are doing based off of your "You don't know my English teacher" comment?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join