It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Super-Earth Discovered Just 22 Light Years Away

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

New Super-Earth Discovered Just 22 Light Years Away

www.pcworld.com

"It's the Holy Grail of exoplanet research to find a planet around a star orbiting at the right distance so it's not too close where it would lose all its water and boil away, and not too far where it would all freeze," Steven Vogt, an astronomer at the University of California, Santa Cruz, told SPACE.com. "It's right smack in the habitable zone — there's no question or discussion about it. It's not on the edge, it's right in there."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blogs.discovermaga zine.com
frenchtribune.com
www.tecca.com

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Pretty interesting... 4.5 times the size of Earth with a 28 day orbit. Seems this exoplanet hunt gets more intense everyday! Some articles are claiming that this is one of the "most remarkable events in the field of space exploration of late" and I have to agree, along with the rest of the explanet research. Now, if only we could find a way to transmit messages effectivly.

Seems like it's exciting a lot of other people as well.

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
yeah...this super earth you're referencing isn't new...use the search...i've seen at least 3 threads on this already...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
if this is the "super earth" in a triple star system, then yea this is old news

link   
reply to post by Juston

Great find.

The more our technology developes, the more of these types of planets we will find. I say give it another 20 years and astronomers will be quite amazed how many other habitable planets are out there. I do like how the title of the the thread says "Just 22 Light years away" you should re title it "New Super-Earth Discovered Just 100 trillion + miles away"

link   
I am uncertain as to whether this is simply a method by which to harvest flags and stars, or an honest mistake...but either way, you should delete the entire thread, because this is not the first to be posted on the topic. In the future, make sure there are no recent threads pertaining to the topic, or make sure you have contributions of your own to put forth.

Otherwise, it's simply a rehash, and no one here enjoys rehashes.

Just a friendly suggestion.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Oh has it?

The only refernce I found was here, in a thread called "Nasa - Nibiru-2012-New EARTH ?!?!" under the 2012/NASA forum.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Yeah its been posted before

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
You know I've had, for a while now, the nagging suspicion that this whole search for planets is a ruse.
I'm thinking we've known about these planets for a while now. At least the top secret government has.
And that we've been there already in secret.

It's mighty convenient that we are now finding the planet. And I won't be surprised that we'll somehow invent a technology that will get us there fast very soon.

All the dollars going missing in the government has to be going somewhere.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
I am uncertain as to whether this is simply a method by which to harvest flags and stars, or an honest mistake...

Yep. You got me. In my almost four years of being here, I figured now would be a good time to harvest stars and flags.

If it's not been posted in breaking news previously, it can be posted there.

I'm sorry that I offended those who clicked my thread title and had to read something for a second or third time.

EDIT: Mods, if you all feel this thread has been posted in error, then by all means, 404 it.
(Just let me keep my flags and stars though)

edit on 2/7/2012 by Juston because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
You know I've had, for a while now, the nagging suspicion that this whole search for planets is a ruse.
I'm thinking we've known about these planets for a while now. At least the top secret government has.
And that we've been there already in secret.

Really. You honestly think we've been there already? Even if we could travel at the speed of light, which is about 671,000,000 miles per hour, it would still take us 22 years to get there. Even if we could travel at 1 billion miles per hour, it would still take over 10 years.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I swear the same happened with our planet back in the past... This is actually UNBELIEVABLE.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Im not the sort of person to go searching for this type of information so to say this thread is a waste of time is just ridiculous. Its threads like these that need to be put up a few times whether you are taking stars and flags or not. Im going to S n F this thread just because I know it annoys people like yourself

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
And absolutely none of you will ever see it let alone step foot on that planet.
This discovery means absolute squat as of now.
We have abandoned all aspirations to leave this planet, we are like that weed smoking teenager who wanted to be a doctor but instead decided to stay and live with his mother instead.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I agree. I hadn't seen it either. Thank you for posting this, OP. Maybe people should just stop being forum nazis, stfu, and enjoy the conversation. Nobody's forcing you to click on the post.

If they truly just now discovered it, I would not be surprised one bit to find out that we will have boots on the ground within a month. I don't buy for a bit that all of the UFOs seen are extraterrestrial in nature. I stumbled on a poster (I actually have it as my wallpaper atm) that listed a bunch of UFO types. Some of them have human influences that can be seen.

The sad thing is that it would be *them* that got to claim it. Finding a new planet wouldn't cure humanity's problem at all. It would just bring it to a new location. Like an infection.

Still, though..I would be amongst the first in line to file my application to become a settler.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
well as soon as they release
the faster than light travel techniques they have been sitting on
we are in business
but dont ask me who "they "are I just know "they" are

out there and have craft with that capability!

'

edit on 7-2-2012 by paradiselost333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
all you guys are a buzz kill, you coulda humored 'em just a little

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I am uncertain as to whether this is simply a method by which to harvest flags and stars, or an honest mistake...but either way, you should delete the entire thread, because this is not the first to be posted on the topic. In the future, make sure there are no recent threads pertaining to the topic, or make sure you have contributions of your own to put forth.

Otherwise, it's simply a rehash, and no one here enjoys rehashes.

Just a friendly suggestion.

It's not your job to play MOD here. Your whole post should be deleted for being off topic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join