It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Touch the Sound: Deaf Percussionist Evelyn Glennie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I recently saw a documentary that left me inspired and in awe about Evelyn Glennie, a deaf lady who is a master percussionists, in the fullest sense, and she senses various rhythms/tones through vibration and touch. Her story is amazing and so are her accomplishments. (too many to list)

Evelyn Glennie is considered one of the world's foremost percussionists and is the first and only full-time solo classical percussionist. The master of more than 1,000 traditional and unconventional percussion instruments from around the world has performed with a range of musical talents, from the Kodo Japanese drummers to Icelandic pop singer Björk, and with every major orchestra in America and Europe. Profoundly deaf (meaning severely impaired but not completely deaf) since the age of 12, the percussionist identifies notes by vibrations she feels through her feet and body; she insists her deafness is irrelevant to her ground-breaking, critically acclaimed work.

Read more: Evelyn Glennie Biography www.musicianguide.com...

A very impressive biography and story, highlighting her journey and talent. She has acquired numerous awards too, and clearly represents avant guard abilities and achievements
She is quite accomplished in the industry, internationally.

Evelyn is the first person in musical history to successfully create and sustain a full-time career as a solo percussionist. As one of the most eclectic and innovative musicians on the scene today she is constantly redefining the goals and expectations of percussion. By combining superb technique, a profound appreciation of the visual and her astonishing musicality, Evelyn creates performances of such vitality that they almost constitute a new type of performance.
Evelyn gives more than 100 performances a year worldwide, performing with the greatest conductors, orchestras, and artists. For the first ten years of her career virtually every performance she gave was in some way a first - the first time an orchestra had performed with a percussion soloist, the first solo percussion performance at a venue or festival or the world premiere of a new piece. Her diversity of collaborations have included performances artists such as Nana Vasoncelos, Kodo, Bela Fleck, Bjork, Bobby McFerrin, Emmanuel Ax, Sting, Kings Singers, Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Fred Frith.

www.drummerworld.com...
Now that's an impressive resume

She owns over a thousand percussive instruments and plays over 50 in a single performance in some shows.

I have been moved by most instruments such as strings(guitar, violin), harps, horns and piano, but never have I had my soul stirred by a solo snare drum. This performance has such dynamics and feeling, wow!

Here you can view the doc in it's entirety.
Full Movie

TED talks- Here she describes her ability, techniques and analysis of vibrations and composing, using her body as a receiver/transmitter of vibrations.

It is another instance of a physical challenge in one area strengthening other areas as a result.
I think this is a triumphant story and I hope you enjoy it and the performances as I did.

Peace and rhythm,
spec

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Absolutely wonderful!

Thank you for sharing this, a bright spot of life, in an otherwise dark and dismal time.

S&F

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

Thank you occrest! I am really glad you dug it and I hope others will se this too. It is an extraordinary story and the documentary is really amazing.
I like your avatar btw, curious critters those squirrels are. We used to leave the backdoor open and feed them as they came right into the living room. It was quite the little pleasure!

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Great thread Spec!

I love Evelyn. She's awesome! I've seen her do some solo's that were incredible. There are several youtube vids of her too. Including a cameo on Sesame Street.

S&F&

edit on 2/7/2012 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Oh my God Spec! I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes! You know if we deserve to go to heaven it will be on the coat tails of the likes of Evelyn.
Thanks for the heads up my friend.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dezertdog

My pleasure brother, I thought you could appreciate this, and yea it left me in awe. Who'd a thought a snare could evoke such a wide range of emotion, including stirring beauty. She is a rudiment master for sure! The full doc is well worth the watch too.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Thank ya much Klassified, and yea she has had a busy life in both performance and teaching, all over the globe.
A real story of inspiration imo.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just wanted to add some extra links for watching the full doc.
Netflix for renting: www2.netflix.com...
Here at YouTube: www.youtube.com...

Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Wow,thanks for the link spec,she is amazing,that snare roll was EPIC!

when i used to be in a band i used to try and play on my drummers kit,could i hell do a snare roll lol,that was impressive!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

My pleasure lektrofellon, I thought you might appreciate this. Did you get to watch the whole doc? She is a real master of her craft for sure man. Thanks for the reply...

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

No,cant watch the doc mate,wish i could,i have a rubbish internet connection,i use a pay as you go dongle so long videos just destroy my internet time,cant get a proper connection as its a shared block of cheap flats,thanks for the link though,she is a very talented drummer
and im diggin them fireflys too just S+F'ed that one too

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Wow, and I was just feeling as though I got less enjoyment from the creation of music. This vibration thing goes pretty deep, I just hope in vibrating with all my senses and with sensing the vibes around me that I don't go in the "wrong" direction.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Damn that lady is awesome! She proves to me that you can enjoy what you're doing no matter what your breed of sensibility is!!!! Awesome that she's not just a passive listener but an AMAZING progenitor of music, without even really hearing it. I bet she can sense the rhythm of life much better than I have!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FinalAccount2008

Wow, and I was just feeling as though I got less enjoyment from the creation of music. This vibration thing goes pretty deep, I just hope in vibrating with all my senses and with sensing the vibes around me that I don't go in the "wrong" direction.

Not sure how to define 'wrong' direction, but creating music is an ability each of us have to some degree, and those that have learned to use it, can illuminate dark or evil spaces, whether perceived or literal.(imo)
But yea, her abilities and range reminded me of a practice done in Ninjutsu, where some ninjas spent months in the forest, muting some of their senses so that their other senses would become heightened and more powerful. They would wear a blindfold for months at a time, and their hearing and touch, as well as smell and taste would be keener. They would close off their hearing, which would enhance vision, and certainly heighten the sense of touch and vibration to include such subtle levels that would create, as in Evelyn's example, indeed an energy animated world that become a symphony of vibration and rhythms. And as you say, generating the music as oppose to just passive listening, is her gift, and where she creates symphonies of the symphony of vibration/rhythms around her.

Her story and contributions to this world, as well as her dedicated journey, really compliments her masterful talents, and I hope that may serve as inspiration for some.

Awesome that she's not just a passive listener but an AMAZING progenitor of music, without even really hearing it. I bet she can sense the rhythm of life much better than I have!

It's like her entire body is an instrument or conduit to the full spectrum of sound and syncopation. It really takes purity of craft to another level. Man I wonder how she sleeps. Does she hear/feel things too much, or is she constantly playing and hearing rudiments and melodies in her head? Maybe she doesn't need much sleep.
I am glad you dug this FA, thanks for the replies.

Peace,
spec

top topics

join