It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopping Smoking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
My husband and I both read it in one evening about 3 years ago. Haven't smoked since.

I thought it was just great! And even though I only had to read it once, the reminder of being able to start over and read it again made it all the easier. The book is set up so you never 'fail' (if you keep reading).

I feel it caters towards the more logical of mindsets (don't we all like to think we're logical
), with a bit of very basic hypnosis (repeating until you're convinced) and a lot of encouragement.

I actually came into this thread to suggest the book when I saw the title. I'm glad you're givin' it a go.

Also, for the record, I'd loved smoking. Still have fond memories of it, but somehow, no desire to do it again.

Happy reading!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I for one, believe that it is all in your mind. I tried to quit smoking before, but never really felt into it. and I had no luck. Then about 5 weeks ago I was having trouble breathing and went to emerg. the doctor told me that my lungs were shot, so i decided to quit on the spot. I did not have a smoke since, and it has not bothered me one bit. My wife still smokes too.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Thanks, according to Allen Carr any type of Nicotine replacement therapy is a waste, by his reckoning how can you wane yourself off a substance by consuming said substance!

I disagree with this notion. Using the gum or patch or lozenge stops half the habit (i.e. the actual smoking habit......god I used to love the feeling of smoke down in my lungs). Anyway, that is half the battle.

Don't forget all the other nasty chemicals that cigs have. Trust me...there is withdrawl from them too.

Then it is a matter of getting off the nicotine when you feel comfortable doing so. That sucks but not as bad as going full turkey.

That is my success story and I'm sticking to it.....One year without nicotine on May Day. 2.5 years not smoking those nasty cancer sticks that make a person smell like........

Anyway....good luck.

edit on 7-2-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I have quit several times and now only smoke OP's when I drink and did not have one for over a month. Then slipped and had one. They passed a law in my city for no smoking even in bars so that will be easier.

Each time I have quit once for a couple years it was always cold turkey no E (crap) cigs or patches or pills.

You can do it! Good luck! sorry edit here you WILL do it! That should help!
edit on 7-2-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I am 54 years old. I started smoking in 1973 and just quit for the very first time on Jan 1st of this year. I went the cold turkey route because I just thought it does not make sense to just change the delivery system of the nicotene I need this out of my system and my life. So I just stopped.
I didnt get any headaches or shaking or anything that I expected. I just need to make myself busy with something else until the craving goes away. I work with all smokers, we are allowed to smoke in the warehouse section of the store. Now I am the only non smoker here and I can tell you the place just stinks to me now. I am constantly spraying the fabreeze around the store.
Today is 38 days and I have not had so much as a single puff from a ciggarette. I stopped counting but someone asked me earlier today how long it had been and I went to the calendar because I didnt know. Now I go for days at a time and dont even think about smoking.
I cant say that its a matter of mind and will power because I dont consider myself a strong person that way .
I started a few months before I quit to smoke only in one room of my home and the others were no smoking zones but it only worked when I said to myself "No fumar" which is spanish for no smoking. I see the signs that say it all the time in english and spanish and I just convinced myself that the other rooms in the house were No fumar zones and it worked. If I walked out of my bedroom with a smoke in my hand I immediatly told myself No fumar and would go back to the bedroom and put the cigarette out. In spanish my english speaking subconscious didnt protest. So far so good.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

I will say this, I feel better and am breathing easier.
To all smokers out there, quit if you can. I really feel better.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

You dont even need to say that you're better than them (even if its not said in a mean manner) you only have to say that you choose this for yourself. They are grown ups and make their own choices and you are grown up and make your own choices. So you choose to not smoke.

I say I dont smoke. It doesnt matter that I used to because right now the statement is true I dont smoke.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by raz24400

You know so many people have said recently that their lungs are hurting and that is why I finally quit. But the thing is I didnt have a problem until they started making those fire safe cigarettes. You know the ones that go out if you dont puff them and sometimes go out while you're holding them. Not too long after they adopted that my lungs started hurting when I smoked.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I have heard about the laser procedure.
It is a *healing laser* which gets you
to quit smoking. www.healinglaserclinics.net...
It works for some who really want to quit, although
if you really want to quit and try you can succeed
without a laser or anything. I knew a couple
that went and got *hypnotized* to quit smoking
and have not smoked since. They smoked for
30 years or more. I personally think the laser
is just the newest method to make some money
off of cigarette addicts. It if helps someone quit
great.

There is also CHANTIX
which is a *magical stop-smoking pill*.
I got a 2 week free sample and took one everyday
for 2 weeks and it did nothing. Dr. told me it needs to *build up in your system*.
I tested to see if it made you crave less, or makes you not want to smoke.
Did nothing good, did nothing bad. I just could not see staying on it
and paying for it any extended period of time.
People can still smoke on it, and they do. The other person I know taking
it was told by the doctor it is working if they are smoking less.
Which keeps them getting that monthly supply of it.
They swear, and from what I can tell really are smoking less
cigarettes, but is it really the pill doing it? I do not believe so.

No easy way to do it, and most of the products to help
are bunk.

The only thing about the e-cig that kills me
is your still out money on nicotine cartridges
it is a little cheaper, but for me I would be buying
packs of cigarettes instead of them. It does not
get you off the nicotine, nor do I know if I want
to give up nicotine anytime soon.
A nicotine patch helps and works
because you are being given the nicotine.
Why a patch does not work for me is because you can
not smoke it.. With the e-cig, if people or friends are smoking,
you can pull it out and smoke with them. Or if having a cigarette
after sex is your thing, you can just pull out the e-cig and puff on it
like you would a real cigarette. I was on my mobile earlier, so this
post is just a little more in-depth then my last one..
Good luck in your battle.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

When I first considered smoking, I looked at the price of a carton of cigarettes, and then figured out the monthly cost of such a habit. I quickly decided this was not a good idea.

If THAT isn't enough to prevent one from smoking, not sure what would...and that price has only grown exponentially since then. I don't know how people even afford to smoke.

Lets say you smoke a pack a day (pretty average use). There are 10 packs in a carton, so about 3 cartons a month on average. So, if buying by the carton, you'd spend about $40 x 3 or $120 per month, or $1440 a year. That's like my cable bill folks. If buying by the pack, and spending about $5 per pack, then you're at around $150 per month. And this is the average price. It can vary a lot by state, depending on the taxes. For example, you're spending about $10 a pack in New York!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Problem here being that you "considered" smoking as opposed to actually starting smoking, you would be surprised once your hooked the amount of cash your prepared to outlay to get your "fix", I'd wager a bet that for most smokers it isn't actually considered as an expense or an outgoing, smoking becomes such an integral part of day to day life that you don't even focus on the price of your habit, it becomes a simple daily expense such as buying a loaf of bread or a newspaper.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by Gazrok

Problem here being that you "considered" smoking as opposed to actually starting smoking, you would be surprised once your hooked the amount of cash your prepared to outlay to get your "fix", I'd wager a bet that for most smokers it isn't actually considered as an expense or an outgoing, smoking becomes such an integral part of day to day life that you don't even focus on the price of your habit, it becomes a simple daily expense such as buying a loaf of bread or a newspaper.

I used to say that I would quit when it went to $2.00 a pack. Then I said I would quit when it went to $3.00. They are over $5.00 now.
I didnt consider the expense while I smoked but now that I dont I sure count the savings. I am already ahead about $175.00 since I quit. Well ok $150.00 after the first week I rewarded myself with a new red leather handbag that was on sale at Burlington for $25.00.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Exactly my point, smokers don't really consider the price of their habit. As you have just said, smokers may try to put a "limit" and state that when they reach a certain price then they will stop, but unfortunately that doesn't ever really happen.

Like I mentioned, becomes as normal as buying a paper or a can of coke.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I wonder , if you had to buy a months worth of cigarettes at a time would that stop people ? Its easy enough to shell out 5 bucks a pop but if you have to buy say three cartons for a month that could cost you $150.00 or more depending on where you live.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Well, Death,
I too have decided to "stop" smoking again.

It's been about 32 days and I feel pretty good.
The cravings are still there, and it's not easy to push them aside, but I manage.

This is the second time I have "stopped" smoking.
I say "stopped" because I believe if you quit something, you never look back.
If you stop something, you can just as well start back up.

After I stopped smoking for about 5 years, I started smoking again, for reasons unknown.
I smoked for about 2-3 more years, then just quit this year.
Cold Turkey.

But I will say this, when I smoked this previous time, I changed my brand.
I felt that all major brands were too smooth, or almost too addicting.
As if they were injected with extra chemicals to make them easier to smoke.
Marlboro, Camels, etc...

Then I found American Spirit cigarettes.
They say their smokes are nothing but tobacco.
No additives at all.
I noticed a huge difference in the taste and smell.
They were not as smooth, or easy to smoke.
Maybe that made my quitting a little bit easier.

Patches and gum make the problem persist.
In my humble opinion, of course.

Good luck.

And if its any consolation, try to do something productive instead of smoking.
Exercising helps tremendously, but so do other hobbies, to keep your mind off it.
Don't let anything become your control mechanism.

You have the control.
Not the cigarettes.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well done on keeping going.
I'm still loving my e cig, I don't crave at all, its magic.
I may drop down to the weaker nicotine level soon...then again, i may not. :-)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I stopped cold turkey both times I tried. First time was back around spring '98 and I managed to stop for about 6 months. Going out drinking often ended up with me buying a pack of cigs and just smoking the remainder for the hell of it the next day. Gradually became hooked again and that was me for another 6 years or so.

Fast forward to 2005, I was put in the position of being told I would not be getting a new pc if I didnt stop lol ... blackmail works it would seem. My family and I were also going on holiday to California and I couldnt be arsed with not being able to smoke when I wanted to.

So I gave up, just like that. And I've been smoke free for 7 years in June of this year. I found it incredibly easy for some reason, and its not because I wasn't smoking much, I was smoking nearly 2 packs a day and had been smoking in total for around 23 years! Something that I have always stood by in choosing to stop smoking is setting a date to do it, giving yourself time to get used to the idea of stopping. For me personally I dreaded that date but at the same time I couldnt wait for it to come so that I could just be done with smoking. I know it wont work for everybody but its something else to think about or maybe even try.

Now, if i could only find that will power to stop eating so much

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nice one, I guess it proves the old adage about wanting to quit.
As for the eating, try the paleo diet, loads of web stuff out there. Marks daily Apple, is my fave, I also post recipes on paleobiker.blogspot if you want a look. I lost a stone a month on it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join