It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopping Smoking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

Well apart from a quick thread the other day, it's been a while

I'm currently trying, once again, to attempt to quit smoking and after reading numerous reviews and only hearing good things I've managed to get my hands on Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking.

Just wondering if anyone else has read the book and what were their thoughts on it?

I'll be starting my journey (nightmare) tomorrow so wish me luck.

DK

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
yes.. just finished it last week... worked like a treat... start reading it now, i promise you will never smoke again after reading it..

and it wont be a nightmare, it will actually be a pleasure, thats what the book teaches you.. its all brainwashing..
edit on 7-2-2012 by misscurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
March 19th will be 1 year.
You can do it just think that you want to LIVE..
Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I too am on the path. Ive made a pact to smoke one cigarrette a day at the very most for the next couple weeks, followed by one every other day, then none. If you share the ciggy with someone, then it feels like you have two, even though you only smoked half of each.

Now where'd my lighter go? Lol.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Never heard of him, but I'll give it a gander

It is in english here:

Good luck man!
spec

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Secretseverywhere

Try using the gum,it worked for me so far(5 MONTHS). You can do it and don't beat yourself up if slip and a have a couple here and there. I wish you the best of luck. I smoked for 25 years so if i can quit anyone can. YOU CAN DO IT. JUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

Well I've read the first three or four chapters tonight straight away and skipped read the remainder, I plan on reading the book fully as I go along.

I must admit, even from the short parts I've read, I've learned quite a few interesting things already. The guy is spot on when he says that most smokers are afraid to quit because they feel like they are missing out on something and I really like his point that not having a smoke creates a void, by smoking in the first place you create that void.

Very interesting reading and I'm hoping it will help me massively, for the first time in as long as I can remember I only have about 5/6 cigs left in the house and for once I'm not worrying about it!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Secretseverywhere

Well done and thanks, I'm determined to crack this habit!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Each day will get easier brother. Hang in there.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xacto

Not too sure I could follow that approach personally, I'm a bit of an all in or all out type of fella but either way good luck and I hope you crack it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks buddy, will check that out

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

Thanks, according to Allen Carr any type of Nicotine replacement therapy is a waste, by his reckoning how can you wane yourself off a substance by consuming said substance!

I know that's the policy to adopt with drinking alcohol but with the fags I'm going to try and go cold turkey

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

Thanks buddy, wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Good luck
I've quit cold turkey probably fifty times over 4-5 years. 50+ separate withdrawals. Then quit for good as soon as my breathing capacity showed obvious decline. MAN is it a mind #f to be around smokers for any length of time - I literally had to get new friends to avoid getting in the habit again.

yeah you get "over it" in a way... but you never really get over it
gotta watch your back for life

edit on 7-2-2012 by WaffleBear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Never heard of the book, but I've been off the weed a week or so now.
I'm using an ecig. Best substitute for smoking I've ever had.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Best way to quit it to never start
for any non smokers..
I am going to go with the e-cigarettes
they have come a long way over 5 or so years
people been using them..

I really like it, it gives you nicotine
minus all that nasty smoke, it is just water
vapor..

A lot of big flea markets will
have people there giving samples
and stuff selling them. Where I tried
it out at.
edit on 7-2-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WaffleBear

Thanks.

Yeah I'm a little bit worried about that, as in how I'll cope being around my family and friends as they ALL smoke. But the mentality I'm going to adapt is that I'm better than them
I don't mean that in a negative way but in the sense that I don't have to rely on a chemical controlling my body and urges, that I don't have to bow down to a habit that's essentially killing me and also leaving me almost penniless each month!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Check the book out, it's an eye opener. If not just look at the reviews it's received and beside for yourself whether it's worth having a read.

To be honest, the hand to mouth action of not smoking is going to be a problem for me. I know that now, but I'll have to work on that as it happens.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

This 5:42 Allen Carr clip sums up his whole Cold Turkey method. Very simple yet inspiring and I'll definitley watch it again if and when I decide to quit.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

I might give the E cigs a go, let's see how I manage cold turkey first

Unfortunately, I did start smoking

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join