It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Passes Bill Allowing Airports To Evict TSA Screeners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Senate Passes Bill Allowing Airports To Evict TSA Screeners

The Senate has passed legislation that includes a provision allowing airports to replace TSA screeners with private security, opening the door for the widely loathed federal agency to be marginalized from aviation security altogether.

The bill was primarily concerned with how the Federal Aviation Authority would be funded for the next four years, but also included measures that would force the TSA to reconsider applications from airports to replace TSA workers with their own privately hired screeners.

“Security companies would have an easier time winning contracts to operate airport checkpoints,” reports Businessweek.

Following a massive nationwide backlash against the TSA’s invasive groping policies and its use of radiation-firing naked body scanners, linked by many prestigious health bodies to cancer, an increasing number of airports attempted to take responsibility for their own screening procedures by replacing TSA workers with privately hired personnel.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well its a start.. Im not sure how I feel about Private security taking this job back over due to its failure in the past. At the same time im not a fan of the TSA and feel that needs to go away or at the very least have its rules / policies completely thrown out and redone so it would include common sense.

I didnt know that the TSA had an opt out program for airports. Apparently when it reached 16 airports, the TSA head froze the program. That should have been a red flag to the government yet not surprisingly was ignored.

I've defended the TSA on this site in a few areas, however that has changed with their latest moves and expansion. We need to keep an eye on this legislation..
edit on 7-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

OK, looks like people are starting to wake up....I hope that's what it is. SOPA/PIPA out..TSA out. Looks like we're on the right track.

Edit

PIPA/SOPA is coming back?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-2-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Good news but, once it get's to the HOUSE it will be destroyed.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

As someone pointed out to me in the past, with a private security firms, you have someone to hold accountable with real consequences if they mess up. Better than government appointed if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RowdyAmerican1
Good news but, once it get's to the HOUSE it will be destroyed.

All the more reason to follow the legislation and be heard by your representatives in government.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Our government has already been privatized.

This means nothing. IMO

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
i feel bad for americans. radiation or groping. it's just easier to fly into canada or mexico, and walk back home.

make a road trip out of it, and see the last remnants of a once beautiful and free country.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
wow, this is big huh?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

at least it will create jobs. we need more jobs. it is a small sacrifice to help the security of our home land. what if radical muslims get through. I bet you wish we had this for 9/11

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bronxbull

at least it will create jobs. we need more jobs. it is a small sacrifice to help the security of our home land. what if radical muslims get through. I bet you wish we had this for 9/11

We did have it. Everyone went through at least one checkpoint. We've had "screening" for decades. We've had to walk through portals and have our bags go through x-ray since the seventies. It's just that the Bad Guys(tm) found a way around it. So now we are screened more intensely. As for the jobs, they'll just change who does them and wear different uniforms, but the net job gain will be zero.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bronxbull

"Those who would give their freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."

If you believe that a bunch of suicide-minded Islamic terrorists took over 4 airplanes with nothing but box cutters and attitude, I have some swampland in Florida to sell you. I don't see how the TSA could have stopped them. I mean, they might as well have used their shoelaces.

However, since I don't believe the "official" story, this is all conjecture. TSA out of our pants and our airports!!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

It's an election year. Time to pucker up and kiss some registered voter butts.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
If this follows through to the finish I predict more "partial deregulation" shenanigans to make the TSA and the fed look like saviors.

Private companies will come in, somehow someway they'll slip up (as badly or worse than the TSA folks) it will be national news for weeks if not months and the public in all its glorious ignorance will blame the "small-government" set and beg for the feds to mandate the TSA and institute even more intense screenings.

This formula has worked wherever partial deregulation has come in under the guise of true deregulation. Wherever you are Im sure in your hometown right now there's a clamoring over some utility or product where people are begging the government to take it over and blaming deregulation and private individuals for the problem when the reality is deregulation made it impossible for the private sources to compete and what government interference there was simply served to ensure oligopolistic control. And who do the people blame? Not the government who created a half-assed bastardized environment but the private companies and individuals who wanted a free market and didnt get one.

The third absolute among death and taxes is popular stupidity.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

wonderful news

addressing your concerns why not use sniffer dogs like the Israelis do
we've all had our crotches sniffed by doggies so it's not like it would be a real problem

don't ever say i never S&F'd one of your threads BTW

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

If not an agency .. and not a security company.... then who?

I've never heard of wide spread groping, strip searching of old ladies and children, abusive policies, xray machines on people etc from private security companies. Only the TSA. The TSA has policies that make no sense... because they are a Government agency and anything tied to the Government is apparently inherently idiotic. Screw the TSA .. I'd much rather take my chances with a private company than go to an airport afraid if today I'm the one who gets "randomly" picked by the TSA for the "special room" where there is a guy with a rubber glove and to big a smile on his face.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Well its a start.. Im not sure how I feel about Private security taking this job back over due to its failure in the past. At the same time im not a fan of the TSA and feel that needs to go away or at the very least have its rules / policies completely thrown out and redone so it would include common sense.

Really, they couldn't be any worse than the TSA. Id like to see Airport security privatized again.

Have you heard of TSA red team? It is a part of the TSA that tests just how strong the TSA security really is. More often than not, TSA fails.

Here are just a few examples of TSA failures as found by the TSA red team.

www.9news.com...
www.homelandstupidity.us...
consumerist.com...

Just do a search TSA red team failure and you will find a ton more.

Anyway, I am for privatizing airport security again. It was far less intrusive and ultimately, just about as effective. IMO

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Lol just because we dont see eye to eye on some issues doesnt mean we dont agree on other things. I do my best to restrict differences of opinions to the thread they came up in

If anything this is a good start in my opinion. At the very least its showing that a few people in washington are listening to the people. As far as private security goes that an easy fix when it comes to quality.

Set a minimum guidline at the federal level and then allow the states to be in control of the standards from that point out.

The government should not be in the position / mindset that it can create jobs or work more efficiently than the private sector. I would like to see a campaign open to passengers only asking for feedback suggestions on what works and what doesnt work.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Im fine with private security provided there are standard minimum guidelines set forth. After that the states should be responsible from there since they are more accountible to the people than what washington is.

Obviously the concrn before was you get what you pay for. Some airports prior to 9/11 paid their security well and attracted quality while others failed miserably because it was deemed a non revenue producing department and therefore a money pit.

What about some type of dedictaed tax that is only for security targeted at services that are tied directly into the airport (airlines / taxis / shuttle bus / car rental / resteraunts in the air port etc etc etc).

The other thing I keep coming back to is what has occured in the air since sept 11th. We have had incidents where peopleon planes have gone stupid, only to be taken down by the passengers on the plane. Ranging from the drunk and absurd to the idiot trying to blow up his shoe or underwear.

Then again I wouldnt mind seeing a system on airplanes that contain cameras so the flight crew can see whats going on in the main parts of the plane. Add in a system that releases a gas that will knock everyone out..... j/k
edit on 7-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bronxbull

It won't create one job. IF it were to pass, and TSA was replaced with a private security company, it would almost certainly be one company getting all of the contracts from the airports, and they would transition the very TSA agents working today over as their employees.

Outside of that, I don't care who is doing the job, but I do support the security measures and I don't really care about what constitutes a minor inconvenience.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join