It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Syria Lie: Babies are Dying?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Let me start off by saying, I hope babies are not being killed in this conflict and I do not take this topic lightly - one bit.

That said, it's a lie we've seen before. Namely in the 1990s during operation Desert Shield in Iraq.

Syrian loyalist gangs have committed cold-blooded massacres of entire families, including women and babies, in their effort to spread fear among the protesters and push them out of the city — a development that could usher in a larger-scale drive for ethnic cleansing in Homs City and a number of coastal communities, where sectarian tensions continue to rise.

Source: www.washingtonpost.com...

The key term there is "babies." As a lie it is used to pull at heart strings and paint the bad guys as really bad while increasing the popularity of going to war with Syria.

Here's the lie that got the US into the first Iraq war:
"When contemplating war, beware of babies in incubators"

More than 10 years later, I can still recall my brother Sean's face. It was bright red. Furious. Not one given to fits of temper, Sean was in an uproar. He was a father, and he had just heard that Iraqi soldiers had taken scores of babies out of incubators in Kuwait City and left them to die. The Iraqis had shipped the incubators back to Baghdad. A pacifist by nature, my brother was not in a peaceful mood that day. "We've got to go and get Saddam Hussein. Now," he said passionately.

I completely understood his feelings. Although I had no family of my own then, who could countenance such brutality? The news of the slaughter had come at a key moment in the deliberations about whether the US would invade Iraq. Those who watched the non-stop debates on TV saw that many of those who had previously wavered on the issue had been turned into warriors by this shocking incident.

Too bad it never happened. The babies in the incubator story is a classic example of how easy it is for the public and legislators to be mislead during moments of high tension. It's also a vivid example of how the media can be manipulated if we do not keep our guards up.

Source: www.csmonitor.com...
(If you read anything else today ATS members, you must read the above sourced article. It goes deep and shows how the lie was sold through a PR operation - it's a good source of solid journalism).

What I'm saying is, if we hear more and more stories of babies getting killed, then we need to start thinking the US is recycling a lie from the Desert Shield days and is preparing for war with Syria.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Gread thread and catch! I'm so happy to hear I am not the only one that recalls the stories reported with absolute conviction and the tone of truth about babies being dumped onto floors to die so Iraqi troops could loot the incubators out of Kuwait City during the occupation. Funny thing is...I ALSO recall post war reports of witnesses to such events being impossible to find..and evidence it ever happened being somewhat difficult to locate.

If they want me to buy Babys as victims, I'm going to go all ATS on them! "Pics or it didn't happen!"

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Check this out. I'm not sure about the source, but from a top level it appears solid. Dated, 08/08/2011

"How CNN helped spread a hoax about Syrian babies dying in incubators "

A disturbing story is circulating on social networks — especially in Arabic — and some news media that a number of premature babies died in their incubators when Syrian forces cut off electricity to hospitals during their assault on the city of Hama.

Evidence suggests it is a cruel hoax, and the pictures of the “dead babies” widely circulated online are false. To me the story was immediately suspicious.

First of all it sounded too much like the false reports of invading Iraqi troops throwing babies out of incubators in Kuwait in August 1990 — reports that were used to build public support and urgency for the 1991 Gulf War. These claims were part of an elaborate propaganda effort by the Washington PR consultancy Hill & Knowlton hired by the Kuwaiti government.

Source: electronicintifada.net...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As posted in other threads recently the little known official Arab League's Mission report, tensions are actually calming in certain areas including Homs. However the Western media is trying to force us into believing its escalating as in the Washington Post's 'Story'

25. On being assigned to their zones and starting work, the observers witnessed acts of violence perpetrated by Government forces and an exchange of gunfire with armed elements in Homs and Hama. As a result of the Mission’s insistence on a complete end to violence and the withdrawal of Army vehicles and equipment, this problem has receded. The most recent reports of the Mission point to a considerable calming of the situation and restraint on the part of those forces.

26. In Homs and Dera‘a, the Mission observed armed groups committing acts of violence against Government forces, resulting in death and injury among their ranks. In certain situations, Government forces responded to attacks against their personnel with force. The observers noted that some of the armed groups were using flares and armour-piercing projectiles.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
so you people on ATS think thats nothing is happening in Syria ? every thing is a lie ?

i dare you watch this clip and then not be ashamed of your self

WARNING VERY GRAPHIC YOU WONT EVEN SEE THIS IN HORROR MOVIES

WARNING AGAIN

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

Beware of blanket statements. Remember the point. It's about babies dying, a lie westerns have been sold before as a preamble to war.

Edit: I watched the video for any indication of babies getting murdered and instead saw man who sadly got his face blown off. Poor guy, but not the point of this particular thread. I'll add my own warning as well - that video is very disturbing and I don't recommend watching it unless you want seriously sick image in your head. (I'm sorry I watched it).

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
And a headline today from the UKs Daily Mail (I know, some people hate this rag but it's a legit news site).

"The bloodiest 24 hours yet: '18 premature babies die in Homs hospital after power cut caused by fifth day of shelling by Assad troops' *Newborn babies in incubators among 85 dead today

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Again, no one is ignoring the real violence going on in Syria, but let's be very wary of these claims, especially as we know this is a tactic to garner support for western powers to join the war.

Here's the top comment on the article. Thankfully smart folks recognize this disgusting trick.

Dead babies!....Sounds like Gulf War 1 lies all over again. Where is the evidence for any of this propaganda. You discredit yourselves. No more regime change thank you. Most of us would prefer to avoid a World War, if that's alright with you. - Kevin Boyle, Croydon, 8/2/2012 8:08

new topics

top topics

join