It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA / PIPA - You didn't think it was over did you? It's round #2!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Remember the old days when bad ideas didn't come back within weeks of being defeated and shown to be bad ideas? Recall when Politicians didn't just take for granted that we have the attention span of a gnat and the brains to match? I don't know how else to read the fact that our Fearless Senate Majority Leader has looked at the whole SOPA / PIPA debacle and only come away with the lesson that it needs done differently next time.

Umm... Hey, Harry, I think the lesson the public and companies alike were trying for was that it NEVER NEEDS DONE...not that it just needs a few tweaks and a new name. Our majority leader is destined to become a minority leader in less than a year with things like this. I've never seen the kind of world wide protest that SOPA brought about..

Get ready for round #2. It's starting and we didn't even get an intermission to go buy some coke and popcorn in between.

Democrats to continue Internet coup with new cyber bill

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, following a recent anti-piracy legislative debacle with SOPA and PIPA, will lead his second effort of 2012 to push Internet-regulating legislation, this time in the form of a new cybersecurity bill.

Apparently it isn't that the idea was bad, it is that we just didn't get how good it would be for us...or maybe it's just that we're too simple to get it at all.

Details about the bill remain shrouded in secrecy. Clues available to the public suggest that the bill might be stronger than President Barack Obama’s cybersecurity proposal, which was released in May 2011.

So, it isn't that SOPA wasn't a good idea to his thinking. It's that it didn't go far enough or propose to violate our rights nearly enough to his liking. I see...

Reid favors an approach that would expand DHS authority beyond currently regulated “critical infrastructure,” such as utilities and financial institutions, to also include Internet service providers and private networks.
Source

So, what I take from this is that the next attempt will be bigger, better and with more bells and whistles than the one we all just fought so hard to put down. These men...they just don't care and they don't stop. They have a vision of how things should be and damn anyone...even the whole nation's public...if we don't like it.

Remember when representatives at least pretended to represent us? I know they never entirely have...but I liked it better when they at least lied to make us feel like they cared. It's so much worse when they outright tell us that our little opinions have been duly noted...not we can shut up and deal with it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It is time for the American people to "Clean House". Get every last incumbent out of congress. "Thank you for your service. Now go stand in the unemployment lines you created."

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Don't you know? SOPA / PIPA was just to prepare us for the real legislation. Many times legislation will be designed to scare people. Once that legislation fails, they suggest what they were planning the whole time. Except now it's almost welcome because it's not as bad as the originally proposed legislation.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I knew it wasn't gone for good. Rabid dogs will come back after it gets kicked the first time...but it comes back under cover of darkness. And this time, we don't know what's in the bill, so we can't protest it.

Welcome to America, where the people are sheep and the corporations decide the laws. Now, let's teach you new guys how to get stepped on like a mat and say thank you afterward....

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Ah! For fvck sakes c'mon!! Jeez. Won't they ever friggin' give up? They really want people in an uproar don't they? They won't stop 'till pretty much everybody is pi$$ed off and goes off the deep end. Sheesh...Oh! how I miss the lone gunman days.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I believe my monitor was treated to a tirade along those lines with language far more colorful than T&C would permit me to relay here. This poor monitor of mine gets verbal abuse a lot lately, as the madness gets worse.

The short answer is...after doing the mother of all face palms myself... I've concluded that no, they absolutely won't stop, ever. It's like the Terminator for the 'New America' these clowns see for us. They can't be reasoned with, negotiated with and don't feel pity or remorse.
Yup.... The description of a Terminator alright, and it fits them like a glove at times.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

It's just gonna be a bigger and scarier monster than before. Get out your nightlights, people...this is gonna be one hell of a show!

Shoulda known those corporates weren't gonna back down that easy...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Yeah, well most of the time I try to keep it clean but I think in this case it's totaly apropriate. SOPAnator and PIPAnator huh.
That's pretty much how I think it gonna go. It's a damn shame.

top topics

join