It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls, 13, given contraceptive implants at school

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by UFO1414
OK, this is wrong on all sorts of levels. I would think that this would be illegal without getting parental authorization. Hell, when I was in high school, administration wouldn't give me an aspirin if I asked for it.

"This is over and above national guidance and meeting all legal requirements."

This is in the UK, what country are you from?

"The last thing they should be doing is fuelling the flames of promiscuity and the sexual health crisis with schemes that treat parents, the law and basic moral principles with contempt."

One mother, whose 13-year-old daughter was given the implant, has called the scheme "morally wrong".

Well that's nice, I guess your daughter is morally wrong then? But she would have been without the implant so...

If this isn't reducing teen pregnancy, then you might be able to say it isn't needed. However, whatever "efforts" parents were making to keep their kids from getting down with each other, it just wasn't working - because pregnancy rates went down.

Using the logic from your last sentence, I guess the schools should be able to do gastric bypasses on obese students because the parents are unable to keep them fit.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

Using the logic from your last sentence, I guess the schools should be able to do gastric bypasses on obese students because the parents are unable to keep them fit.

Refer back to this post.

I was addressing the Mother's comments on the issue. I was not addressing whether or not I agreed with the issue. That is the main problem with News Media.

Notice how the article barely spoke about parent's rights?

Instead, it blabs on about the morality of giving kids contraceptives. That isn't the issue. But if you want a pill from the media, go ahead and take it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I do agree with you about it being a problem of failure to have the parents consent, that's for sure. But I can also see people being upset about the "morality of giving kids contraceptives". Perhaps that's why the parents weren't informed properly so their morals wouldn't get in the way of what the health "professionals" wanted.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMar
reply to post by boncho

I do agree with you about it being a problem of failure to have the parents consent, that's for sure. But I can also see people being upset about the "morality of giving kids contraceptives". Perhaps that's why the parents weren't informed properly so their morals wouldn't get in the way of what the health "professionals" wanted.

Yes but if the program was reducing pregnancy, then the program was working. That is not to say it is a fair program, or a "moral" program (in that the parents are not giving consent) but it does highlight the fact that kids were engaging in acts that would lead to pregnancy, regardless of the parents efforts.

This means that perhaps the parents ideas about morality, and "discouraging" are just not as effective as they thought.

It also means they are just being unrealistic, as it was quite the norm in the past few hundred years to have children in the "teenage" years. The transition to adulthood, is a relatively new construct, that was created because of the changes in technology and society as a whole.

If men and women didn't have 10 years of school ahead of them, and 40-60 years of labor, no one would give a rats ass when people were having kids.

Although (today), it's obviously better to wait, the shame and stigma that surrounds teenage pregnancy is detrimental to the people who experience it, and their children. Which is funny, because at one time, it was the norm.
edit on 7-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
this wild agenda sounds like some kind of U.N. study gone nuts.

problem is, a whole bunch of psychopaths are getting rich and I'll bet the results will show failure just like all the rest of the pseudo-commie programs and mad scientist experiments.

it seems all these agendas are concocted by educated people.

more like generational bureaucratic pseudo-Utopians that are nothing more than muney hunger mungers.

the results of almost all programs are failures.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join