It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions-yr-old secrets: RT at Lake Vostok drilling (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Truly mind-blowing for modern science, the 20-million-year-old Antarctic lake drilling is a life-or-death trial for explorers believes RT’s correspondent Sean Thomas, who covered some research on the icy continent.

Living at a Russian station in Antarctica, everyone was aware of the work going on at Vostok and were all very interested in the daily progress. Each morning there is a radio call in which each of the research stations make contact with each other and give updates as to the news from their respective stations.

Lake Vostok has been a hype lately on ATS.
came across on article on Russia Today that showed an exclusive glimpse into the process of lake drilling.

thoughts i´d share this with ATS.

the article itself is mainly about the workers and what they have to go through on a daily basis.

vid is only 1.30 minutes long but i´ve found it to be interesting nonetheless.

Vid is in this link

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'd like to know just what makes it so interesting...what are they expecting to find down there?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I'd like to know just what makes it so interesting

i think the fact that it wasn't exposed to air for 20 million years.
furthermore it's below a sheet of ice wich makes it pretty interesting.

also we've could encounter new lifeforms etc.

all these things make it interesting.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Crazy.. i wonder what it taste like? the water that is.
wait, was that MacReady in the video

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Ok just a thought here.. what about million year old diseases. Just lovely another thing i need to think might happen this year

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I believe the major interest is finding new species, IMO. Or any at all, which may prove you do not need light or oxygen to live.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I believe the major interest is finding new species, IMO. Or any at all, which may prove you do not need light or oxygen to live.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

the lake is oxigen rich

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
I'd like to know just what makes it so interesting...what are they expecting to find down there?

Oil... I know the hype is about the lifeforms in the lake, but is also about any potential oil deposits below the lake. Expensive drilling operation. See in the video all the infrastructure to survive down there? Transport, rigs, shelter, and resupply,etc. All told a lot of dollars or rubles just to "see" the lake don't you think? Oh to be sure, they will sell any ice cores and pictures of any life to research and science, but its really a front in my opinion. Drill, drill,drill.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Probably the last pure, pollution-free water on earth. So let's drill into it, introduce a lot of petroleum-fueled equipment, and see how long a millions-of-years old closed ecosystem can last in the face of human interference.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Did they ever resolve the kerosene issue. They use kerosene as part of the drilling process and was afraid of the kerosene contaminating the lake.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

edit on 7-2-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123

the lake is oxigen rich

I was wondering does a oxygen rich environment still generate large Earth creatures like in the past..

edit on 2/7/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

we can hope

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123

we can hope

Are you saying hope for a large creation present there or that there is not 1, sorry misunderstanding.
edit on 2/7/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

or a 20 million year old species that could wake up
I dont know how old you are but does this look familiar
The Thing

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Extinct frozen species, nazi gold, crashed space craft, ancient artifacts etc...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I was wondering does a oxygen rich environment still generate large Earth creatures like in the past.

Good question... key to the past. Imagine the earth on a slightly different rotational axis, where sunlight lasts around the clock. Up to 10% more O2 generated in the atmosphere. With toxins from pollutants absent and all others locked up underground and in plant growth, then therein is a next to perfect growing environment. Alaska has a short growing season but produces monster vegetables because of continous sunlight during it's short growing season.

If the whole world was always summer time, there would be only one season. The season of growth.

Fossil record reflects huge species of mammal, fish and plant life. Would explain a great deal about how they got so big so fast and lived so long. So the added O2 is just one aspect of a combination of things that improve growth and life cycles. 50 foot alligator, sharks and dolphins are a bit much though. Maybe the BIG powers that be hit the earth with a rock and knocked it off axis somewhat producing 4 seasons, smaller species, and shorter life spans? Just a stretch of thoughts from intrptr...

new topics

top topics

join