It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caterpiller Workers - Time to call in the Army

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Despite being so lazy, that they wouold not turn up to work, and having forced the closure of the only big job-providing factory in the region, their employer, Caterpiller has offered them dough.

DESPITE THIS, these lazy, greedy selfish scum have actually REFUSED the money and are now threatening to seize the plant.

It really, really is high time to crack down on this excrement at the bottom of the human barrel.

The Canadian Army should be immediately brought in and blow the heads off any of the lazy, greedy, theiving #s who try to get over the fence.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballisticmousse
Despite being so lazy, that they wouold not turn up to work, and having forced the closure of the only big job-providing factory in the region, their employer, Caterpiller has offered them dough.

DESPITE THIS, these lazy, greedy selfish scum have actually REFUSED the money and are now threatening to seize the plant.

It really, really is high time to crack down on this excrement at the bottom of the human barrel.

The Canadian Army should be immediately brought in and blow the heads off any of the lazy, greedy, theiving #s who try to get over the fence.

LOL.... Don't hold back next time. Tell us how you really feel! lol...

I can't help but agree with the sentiment, if not the approach. If 'organized' labor wants to spit on paying work while so much of society has none at all, I have no sympathy at all. They deserve whatever they get and I hope they get seconds. Perhaps this crap would be seen differently in a booming economy where employers are making cash and employees are seeing little benefit for their hard work.

However, employers are one step from bankruptcy the world over. If Unions choose to contribute to that collapse of the private sector, I suppose that will spell their own doom that much faster by a shrinking membership. It's hard to remain a Union when the employers who it existed for no longer exist themselves, eh?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

When a company starts contract negotiation by stating that everyone has to take a 50% pay cut, they are playing hardball and are prepared to walk.

www.ourhometown.ca...

Not sure about all the backstory here, still reading...but might this be a good reason for the 'laziness?' I know that if my work went through a reorganization like the one occurring at Caterpillar and said I would be given a 50% cut in pay I would be putting on my walking shoes as well. Often times there is more to a story than what meets the eye and when it comes to these workers and their unions don't forget that their livelihoods are on the line as well.

Take breath, step back and do some research you might find that # really does in fact roll downhill, not the other way around.
edit on 7-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ballisticmousse

Your seriously disturbed, and ill informed. They want severance packages for 500 fellow workers that were laid off, and are taking a stand in an attempt to help their fellow ex-co worker's.

The Canadian Auto Workers and Caterpillar Inc. are negotiating a severance package for the nearly 500 unionized Electro-Motive employees who are out of work, with the union threatening a plant occupation as a 'last resort.'

The locomotive plant in London, Ont., closed permanently Feb. 3 after the company and union couldn't come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement.

Negotiations started Tuesday in the wake of the union's threat to occupy the closed plant until their demands are met.

If all of us could be brave enough to put our own livelihoods at risk to help others this world would be a much better place. I support the workers one hundred percent, and when bargaining starts with the company offering everyone a 50 percent pay cut, it shows that they don't care one bit about their employees.

Occupy Caterpillar
edit on 7-2-2012 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Caterpillar is a pariah company.

They had factories in UK, France & demanded subsidies from both governments to keep them open.

When the subsidies were paid, Caterpillar closed those factories and moved production outside the EU.

It's not the workers who are at fault, it's the management.

Management who should be stood against a wall and shot.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja

Your seriously disturbed, and ill informed. They want severance packages for 500 fellow workers that were laid off, and are taking a stand in an attempt to help their fellow ex-co worker's.

The Canadian Auto Workers and Caterpillar Inc. are negotiating a severance package for the nearly 500 unionized Electro-Motive employees who are out of work, with the union threatening a plant occupation as a 'last resort.'

The locomotive plant in London, Ont., closed permanently Feb. 3 after the company and union couldn't come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement.

Negotiations started Tuesday in the wake of the union's threat to occupy the closed plant until their demands are met.

If all of us could be brave enough to put our own livelihoods at risk to help others this world would be a much better place. I support the workers one hundred percent, and when bargaining starts with the company offering everyone a 50 percent pay cut, it shows that they don't care one bit about their employees.

Occupy Caterpillar

Brilliant attitude there. I'll root for some disgruntled workers to go occupy some local jail cells while the company, if pushed hard enough, can just close shop and leave. Now there is a problem solved huh?
The rest of those brave workers can see their fellows get nothing ANYWAY, on their own journey to Occupying a burger king service counter asking if people would like fries with their order.

You know the funny thing? The Union doesn't lose. They keep the dues and as they lose dues payers, they'll just shift elsewhere. Damn the Union workers who no longer have a need for representation at jobs which literally don't exist anymore. Naww.... Organized labor won! ....even if it comes at the expense of the company which supplied the work in the first place.

The entitlement attitude never ends.
Like I said.. If these "brave" people, as you call them, want to throw their own jobs. GOOD. There are millions of unemployed when even a McDonald's job fair draws 10's of thousands and devolves into chaos. It's a mess out there, and those who bitch about the jobs that DO exist can just go without them and REALLY have something to bitch about. Hmpf.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The sneers are sooo typical of those who maybe have a job, or are looking for anything they can get.....
at the expense of anyone but them....
Unions have been the major factor in getting the ones who produce the goods, a share in the pie.....
Thats instead of getting constantly thrown the crust, and told to make do with it....
By the lord harry, id rather see the people shut down everything till an equitable settlement is reached as to who gets what.
Money talks, but starvation wages suck, and thats what wed be getting if it werent for our union fathers and grandfathers who actually fought pitched battles against overwhelming odds to get the share we have in the prosperity of the country.
Right now the corporate elite are pillaging the rank and file for everything they have worked for....
Wall street is busy screwing them out of their pension funds, and the goverment is spending their children to death.
I look to the Unions to be a big part of the resistance to this nazification of our free society.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes you are absolutely right... 8 billion dollars in unprecedented profits for Caterpillar this year is bordering on bankruptcy... We should all feel sorry for the poor suffering corporation and offer our services free to help them get up and running more profitably.... oh wait... thats what they insisted we do..

Welcome to Corporate Canada: with unlimited corporate welfare and where the peons are kept in their place.

www.lfpress.com...

Probably Caterpillar CEO James W Owens needs help making his house payment as his 4.3 million a year is barely sufficient.

www.forbes.com...
edit on 7-2-2012 by danwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Occupy Caterpillar
The fact of the matter is that unions will NEVER have enough. I say get rid of all of them and hire regulars Joes who will do the same thing for half the pay. They all want their cake and eat it to. It’s ridiculous…

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Misinformed is right. I typically don't support unions but in this case Caterpillar is playing the role of the greedy corporation. The company boasted record profits last year and their first and only offer was over a 50% pay cut.

I don't 100% agree with the wages that were being made but an immediate pay cut to that extreme makes me believe they had every intention of closing the plant to begin with. Don't you think it would be proper for everyone in a company to take a pay cut if the company needs to raise profit margins?

High stakes in Caterpillar lockout

The outgoing Caterpillar CEO, James Owens, received $22.5 million for six months’ work last year and a defined-benefit pension worth $18.7 million. Last week, Caterpillar posted a 58 per cent increase in quarterly earnings with record multi-billion-dollar profits.

Before you start accusing these workers of being lazy, do a little more research. Or at least post in the 'Rant' section which is where this belongs.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by danwolf
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes you are absolutely right... 8 billion dollars in unprecedented profits for Caterpillar this year is bordering on bankruptcy...
www.lfpress.com...

Most shareholdings in Canada are held not by some rich millionaire somewhere, but by Pension funds. Those profits are needed to generate tax income to keep the state out of debt and dividends to pay for pensions of old folk, many of whom fought in the Second World War.

THose are far more worthy than some greedy union bum who wants a fat handout.
The Union approach is as alwyas...A fair week's wage for a fair day's work.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

It's ridiculous to want fair wages, and severance for being laid off after 20 years of working for a corporation ? I guess this little piece of history is unknown to you, but its considered by human rights groups, and anyone that takes the time to read the entire story, to be a milestone in human rights. It actually set the the precedent for "minimum rate of pay commensurate with standard of living." and, I am quite sure that's something you find favourable.

apps.detnews.com...

Unions have done more for you than you think. This is not entitlement, it is skilled workers standing, and saying I am not working under these conditions as they are deplorable, and I will do something about it. There's a very large difference there, and I hope you see it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

This is exactly the reason why 1% of people own 99% of the wealth - guys who think that someday they will be rich and so want to keep the structure intact waiting for that day when they arrive.

Wake up and smell the roses. You'll never be rich. They have too big a head start on you.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

Um because the plant, when acquired by Caterpillar, was being pay far higher than other factories that produce the same material. They said fall in line with the wages or our profit margin will be better elsewhere. They said hell no we want our money.... so Cat said fine, screw you, we are moving to Indiana where new workers at the new factory will make the same as all the other factories.

The tactics being used by the Union amount to petty extortion.. it's quite pathetic.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

It's ridiculous to want fair wages, and severance for being laid off after 20 years of working for a corporation ? I guess this little piece of history is unknown to you, but its considered by human rights groups, and anyone that takes the time to read the entire story, to be a milestone in human rights. It actually set the the precedent for "minimum rate of pay commensurate with standard of living." and, I am quite sure that's something you find favourable.

apps.detnews.com...

Unions have done more for you than you think. This is not entitlement, it is skilled workers standing, and saying I am not working under these conditions as they are deplorable, and I will do something about it. There's a very large difference there, and I hope you see it.

WHAT RAW IGNORANT BUNK!!!!

No-one, that's NO-ONE has an inherent "right" to a handout or to an inflated wage.

Wages are, by definition, EARNED, not handed out like Smarties to "nice people".

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballisticmousse
WHAT RAW IGNORANT BUNK!!!!

No-one, that's NO-ONE has an inherent "right" to a handout or to an inflated wage.

Wages are, by definition, EARNED, not handed out like Smarties to "nice people".

If you truly feel that way, why isn't your anger directed at the executives? You really think what they actually do warrants such massive payouts? Now there are almost 700 more unemployed people in the region because the plant is shut down yet Progress Rail and Caterpillar executives are getting record earnings. How is that fair?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Net income on 12th December 2011 for Caterpillar was 4,928,000$

I got this from: finapps.forbes.com...

If this income statement is wrong, I wouldn't mind if you found something more accurate.

I highly doubt the CEO takes the 4.3 million chunk out of that net income that you mentioned.
The company would be in big financial trouble if he did.

edit on 7-2-2012 by Radekus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Radekus
reply to post by danwolf

Net income on 12th December 2011 for Caterpillar was 4,928,000$

I got this from: finapps.forbes.com...

If this income statement is wrong, I wouldn't mind if you found something more accurate.

I highly doubt the CEO takes the 4.3 million chunk out of that net income that you mentioned.
The company would be in big financial trouble if he did.

Umm... net income is calculated after wages are paid. You can guarantee that the CEO got his paycheck before anyone else.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Radekus

You must have missed the part of the chart that states "All numbers in thousands" You also took the numbers from 2008, and not 2011, not that it matters.

2011 operating income 7,153,000. Add 3 zeros as all numbers in thousands, and you get $7,153,000,000, that's 7 billion. Before you accuse someone of playing with the numbers learn to read what you cite as evidence against them.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter

If you truly feel that way, why isn't your anger directed at the executives? You really think what they actually do warrants such massive payouts? Now there are almost 700 more unemployed people in the region because the plant is shut down yet Progress Rail and Caterpillar executives are getting record earnings. How is that fair?

But IAM ANGRY with the management. They should not have offered a nickel to these lazy scum. It is a raw waste of shareholder's money, and I am delighted that the greedy union bums have refused it.

Originally posted by fenceSitter
Now there are almost 700 more unemployed people in the region because the plant is shut down yet Progress Rail and Caterpillar executives are getting record earnings. How is that fair?

How is that not fair? The executives are running the company well or as well as they can when so weighed down with all the needless whipping that tthey are getting from these layabout workers whilst the CAW workers at the plant can't even be bothered to turn up for work.

Let's be clear here - the CAW is nothing but the politics of jealousy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join