It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy "Extraterrestrial Culture Day" (Well, almost)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This may only be an attempt to increase tourism dollars in New Mexico, or maybe this lawmaker is a believer, but a member of the New Mexico state legislature once introduced a bill to designate every second Tuesday in February (which is today this year, February 7th) as being "Extraterrestrial Culture Day".

An excerpt from the proposed bill (proposed by State Rep. Daniel R. Foley of Roswell, N.M.):

"to celebrate and honor all past, present and future extraterrestrial visitors in ways to enhance relationships among all citizens of the cosmos, known and unknown,"

I like the "Known and unknown" part of the bill. This guy sounds like a seasoned politician, not wanting to land definitely on either side of the ET visitation argument. It seems from the information I gathered on this that the resolution DID NOT pass the legislature -- but we can still celebrate unofficially.

As a side note, I once had to visit the city of Roswell for my work (which has NOTHING to do with aliens, before you ask), and I admit that I did my fair share of souvenir purchasing -- i.e., a coffee mug, t-shirt, and refrigerator magnet. I can see how an official "day of commemoration" would help the New Mexico tourism industry.

Here is the story that makes mention of this proposed legislation (the first paragraph only):
news.yahoo.com...

edit on 2/7/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Are there special dishes we need to prepare like the turkey for Thanksgiving? What do we do to celebrate?

new topics

join