It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rockclimbers would you take your 2 year old baby with you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Well this woman does, Menna Pritchard, even without a helmet for the baby.

A mother who wants to promote family-friendly climbing and outdoor activities has insisted that the practice is safe.

Mother-of-one Menna Pritchard, 26, who has scaled a few routes including Gower's Three Cliffs bay, with her daughter Ffion, now two, on her back has said the climb pictured was "100% safe" from falling rocks. After receiving attention from the picture posted online of Ffion without a helmet,

Ms Pritchard was quick to stress she never did anything she believed would put Ffion at risk.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I'm sure shes a very adept climber, but for me I think shes an accident waiting to happen.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Though I appreciate her motivation, I think it's risky. One thing everyone will find out sooner or later is that "routine" is a smoke screen, anything can happen unexpectedly. A child does not have the awareness or experience to anticipate potentially dangerous situations and thusly, relies on the adult to protect them and in this case, the mother cannot seem to be bothered with the most basic safety equip. (photo op or not) ... not to mention that the child can be a distraction and create unanticipated obstacles to the climber simply by being there.

BTW-
The mom says that she knew it was 100% safe... I knew a guy, world class kayaker, came home and died in a class 3 rapid on a river in his own backyard a river that he knew like the back of his hand. It just takes one mistake...

edit on 7-2-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I would like to note that she and her belay partner are wearing helmets yet not the child.

Sure they are climbing, imo leave the kid on the ground, but to say they are well cultured in the climbing world and its etiquette is reaching. Saw this picture on fb, there is another one floating around the web of two parents in Joshua Tree tossing their kid from one boulder to another.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ummm.... in those first two pictures, there is no harness over the little girls shoulders. What happens if mom does come loose and is just hanging or tips backwards or forwards? Seems she would slide right out.

I'm not a climber, but as a mom, for pete's sake the child's safety should be your first priority, right?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I don't know what's worse. Rock climbing with your two year old, or naming your two year old Ffion. I mean 2 "f"s, really? Obviously this woman is not capable of rational thought.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Has to be one of the most stupid things I have seen. If she falls and her back strikes the rock face that baby is going to get squished.

That mother needs a bloody good slap.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If its going up a wall built into a gym or some type of gym or fiteness center, as long as the child is properly secured on your back then i wouldn't see any problem with it.

They are properly secured with the proper harnesses so they are not going to fall and slam the ground, My parents used to take me hiking all the time in this huge red thing i used to sit in on my dads back (we still have it i think), They definitely don't build harnesses like they used to
This thing was military grade or something, kevlar.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Exactly as a previous poster states.

Why is the mom wearing a helmet and the toddler isn't?

That mother needs a stern talking to and maybe a child endangerment weekend in jail.

Looks like a case where the parent doesn't want to be "slowed down" by her child and pretends that every activity is suitable for kids. It's not true.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

No way.

My three sons are now approaching middle age
because I took no chances with them.

The nurses looked at me nuts when I brought my first born home buckled up in a car seat, back in Jan of 1977.

I was in nursing and put enough "accidents" in morgue drawers to learn that taking unnecessary risks is foolish folly.

I went on a rock climbing date in college a couple times and it was a good thing we had a life line rope and he was strong and the main hook was anchored good.

When you are young you think you will live forever, you don't see the grim reaper approaching, you feel indestructible.

I know different.................again, I've put babies and people my own age and younger in morgue drawers to realize how precious life is.
edit on 7-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I keep getting more irritated by what the women says.

For those who may not see the picture.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Ugh! This woman gets the Dingbat of The Year award. A helmet for her own empty head, and none for baby? Why not a helmet, and protective gear from top to bottom for the little tyke? What is she trying to prove by placing her baby at risk in this way? Why not get a sitter for the little girl and go rock climbing by yourself?

Plus, the name they gave this poor little girl.......when I had my girls, I thought of different names, but always imagined them as adults using that name. Would they be embarrassed with my choice? Was it dignified, or was it silly? I ended up giving them both classically beautiful names that they like as adults now.

I can't imagine how angry they'd be at me for giving them a name that starts with two F's.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

why don't you just leave people like this alone?

mind your own business please...

what if someone came to your house and kept bothering you and forcing you to wear a helmet because it was dangerous to take a shower because you might slip?

stop causing unnecessary stress and conflict you nosy nosy person!

peace.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I absolutely am in agreeance about the helmet issue!!!!

Other than that...I see no problem with the activity.
A kid can get killed learning to ride a bike....should we
not do this anymore?
Some kids are being brought up in sports that can end their
life...but we still go "WOW" when we see a youngster pull
off an amazing stunt.

The woman needs to reprimanded about the helmet and no safety
clothing...that's all....imo

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

I assume this is joke.

If not, it's sad. You can take your own life in your hands all you want, but you do NOT own a child. They are not your personal playthings which you can endanger for larks.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

The mother is putting herself in the position of "promoting" family safe climbing... she came to us, not the other way around. This is not sticking a nose into someone's living room, this is her putting herself out there for public awareness and in doing so, must stand the scrutiny. Her decision.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
"Ms Pritchard was quick to stress she never did anything she believed would put Ffion at risk."

I couldn't believe it when I read that line. She's climbing a sheer cliff with a child on her back. She doesn't think that is putting the child at risk?

I agree with WickettheRabbit. This woman should be charged with child endangerment.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
One must assume that first, she has no common sense,

Second, she couldn't afford a baby sitter.

And a third. that child will be taken away from her.

new topics

top topics

join