It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Canada] CSIS Can Use Information Gained Through Torture: Secret Directive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Welcome Comrades to Soviet..I mean Canada.

OTTAWA - The federal government has directed Canada's spy agency to use information that may have been extracted through torture in cases where public safety is at stake.

The order represents a reversal of policy for the Conservative government, which once insisted the Canadian Security Intelligence Service would discard information if there was any inkling it might be tainted.

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews has quietly told CSIS the government now expects the spy service to "make the protection of life and property its overriding priority."

A copy of the two-page December 2010 directive was obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

It drew swift condemnation from Amnesty International Canada, which said information obtained under torture "has no place in the justice system, full stop."

I'm kind of tired of this government making decisions that I do not support, nor do a vast majority of Canadians support.

I would think that hardly ANY of us support the use of tortute under any circumstances.

Honestly, I know that Stephen Harper and his ilk are attempting to turn this into Camerica, but this is too far:

In such rare circumstances, it may not always be possible to determine how a foreign agency obtained the information, and that ignoring such information solely because of its source would represent "an unacceptable risk to public safety."

These are NOT Canadian values. Not in any sense of the word.

Fellow Canadians, what say you about using information gained through torture? Do you actually think Canada is such at risk of terrorist attacks that such a policy is required?

I for one am 100% against this idea and will be writting my representatives.

Source
edit on 2/7/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/7/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Fellow Canadians, what say you about using information gained through torture? Do you actually think Canada is such at risk of terrorist attacks that such a policy is required?

If we aren't now, we definitely will be.

This is quite disturbing. I'm fairly certain most Canadians would be against this, as this now puts a huge target on our backs. And soon, if this continues, we will be in the same category as the Americans when travelling.

You're right, this is against Canadian values and what Canada supposedly stands for. It sickens me how low we've let this administration take us.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Probably one of the biggest reaches of power that the Harper Government has done in this last year. Although his false belief that he received a " Mandate" from Canadians and that we "Trust" him is completely false, he seems to think he can do whatever he wants.

I pray for our nation that he doesn't destroy it before our next election.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This is all sorts of wrong. Despite our treatment of First Nations, Canada used to have a really good public image to the rest of the world. Alas, here we are, our obscene PM wiggling his bum under the spotlight, giving torture a legitimate use and trying to hand out harsher penalties for drugs than sex with children. Disgraceful.
edit on 7/2/2012 by Slaanesh because: Wording

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Slaanesh

It's a very sad state of affairs in our wonderful country.

Hopefullly the opposition is able to force a no confidence vote again so we can un-elect this war criminal, financial terrorist, dictator.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

join