It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Oldest living thing on earth' discovered ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well seaweed is cool, but I'm more fascinated by giant trees some of which are in thousands of years.

Link

I saw one tree that was claimed to be 5k years old, but I doubt this was scientifically proven. However, it seems that there are specimens that can be reliably dated as 2.5k years old.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Wow, that's amazing!
I bet that stuff wouldn't make a very good salad though!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

knew i left somthing out of the survival kit bloody weed killer

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

Originally posted by TheCommentator
Your all wrong, according to fora.tv Rach Sussman is the oldest living organism

That's hilarious!!!

Great find...

I guess to be technical....it says "organisms"....So I guess she is at least two people in one body.

Multiple personalities?

edit on 7-2-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well I was a bit disappointed by this...I was hoping they had found the oldest Living creature. Meaning a single individual not a cloned organism, which I do not count as such, unlike the giant sequoia that individually can live to 3,500 years according to tree rings.

Giant sequoias are the world's largest trees in terms of total volume. They grow to an average height of 50–85 metres (160–279 ft) and 6–8 metres (20–26 ft) in diameter. Record trees have been measured to be 94.8 metres (311 ft) in height and over 17 metres (56 ft) in diameter.[2] The oldest known giant sequoia based on ring count is 3,500 years old.

wiki Link

If you take the info in the OP then I would say cock roaches would be older by about 300 million years.

Any critter that has survived unchanged for over 300 million years must be pretty remarkable. Cockroaches are exactly that, and as much as they disgust us and potentially harm us, you still have to admire what they can do.

Cock roaches unchanged for 300 million years

I determine the oldest living creature as an individual...not a cloned organism.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Andronian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andronian

If you take the info in the OP then I would say cock roaches would be older by about 300 million years.

But the thing with that is the species as a whole has been around a very long time and will no doubt be around for a very long time as well. But I don't think we know of any individual cockroach that has actually lived that long....

The average life span of a cockroach ( it defers a bit between type of cockroach) is 1-2 years. There are probably some that have lived longer than that, but none that have lived 300 million years, as far as I know.

Also, I hope I understood what you were saying, correctly( and I very well may have misunderstood). If I did mistake what you said, I do apologize humbly.

I determine the oldest living creature as an individual...not a cloned organism.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. It almost seems like cheating to count organisms that reproduce asexually/cloned organisms. At least to me.
edit on 7-2-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

No you are right, I was sort of making a joke about the cockroach thing.

Just to make a point about individualism.

But thanks...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Everytime you welcome a new "overlord" it makes me smile. Count me in on your stratagy.
Better a house pet than dead, eaten or slave right?!?!?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
*gasp*
But surely, this can't be so!
The world is only 6,000 years old, don't you know? This is obviously just a trick by Satan to confuse us!

but surely according to the theory of evolution, this seaweed should have an i.q. of 247 and have mastered warp speed by now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join