It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbols and God/Godess

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I wanted to introduce this thread to discuss the deeper meaning of symbols and gods.
Gods/Godess with a small g were originally part of a language that spoke of aspects within each of us.
They represent natural laws or qualitys.
Also many of these god/godess refer to cosmic bodys/stars and even the Milky Way itself.
In their original meanings they are part of a philosophy regarding the nature of the soul.
Today these symbols seem to be equated with something unwholesome such as the eye of Horus.
Religous practice distorts their original meanings purposely for a means of control.
I would like to hear your views on what I speak.

edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typos

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hello again artistpoet!

In my thread you claimed that the rulers of this world have stolen symbols for their own use. This struck a chord with me, and I believe you might be right. Take the pyramid with the eye inside. What better symbol to remind us that we have three eyes, and that we are a trinity of body, soul and mind? What symbol is then better to pervert into representing Lucifer, secret societies and evil intents? This has been done for a purpose people, they have lead you astray. Do not fear the symbol, it is an initiation and a welcome to the other side. There waits not Lucifer, ghost, souls or demons...there waits you

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think religion distorts everything, symbols included.

Can you elaborate on specific symbols,
and what you think has happened with them?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by OleMB
Hello again artistpoet!

In my thread you claimed that the rulers of this world have stolen symbols for their own use. This struck a chord with me, and I believe you might be right. Take the pyramid with the eye inside. What better symbol to remind us that we have three eyes, and that we are a trinity of body, soul and mind? What symbol is then better to pervert into representing Lucifer, secret societies and evil intents? This has been done for a purpose people, they have lead you astray. Do not fear the symbol, it is an initiation and a welcome to the other side. There waits not Lucifer, ghost, souls or demons...there waits you

Hi again OleMB
Yes I agree these symbols should net be feared only the perverted meanigs placed upon them.
It is interesting to consider what you say regarding The Eye of Horus - The third eye is a syybol that represents yes the all seeing eye in each of us and also when we consider the Universe to be represented as a pyramid - The all seeing eye is the source - the tiers of the pyramid represent dimensions above the base the base being the Cosmos. Of course ther is many aspects within each tier.
As for Lucifer or Devil - When we see the Tarot card - It has the devil holding chains around a male female.
The devil is an aspect of us and the chains female or ying yang or whatever way you see it represent the inner battle for balance. Say with Ying Yang we see opposites or seeming opposites yet they are enclosed as one within a circle.
I agree there are no demons to lead us astay but only our own fears and yes say with Tarot or other such ways it represents a form of initiation into our selves our soul or spiriit - well put
edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

I am no expert (who is)
Look at my avatar for example it shows a charachter with the head of an Ibis
Of course such a person is not a real physical being - only a priest would have worn such an headress to fool others
It is the god Thoth - Thoth represents the intelligence inate in all of us. Also at a deeper level Thoth is all knowing through thought. Original ancient philosophy talks of Thoth being present at the begining of time or creation of the Universe - We all have a capacity to inderstand everything we need (not want) to know

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Eye of Horus = Foyer House - or - Ye of our She

Foyer = An entrance hall or other open area in a building used by the public; a vestibule

And U think U'r secrets R only known just by U?

Ribbit

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

Agreed - Secrets are for everyone to share their meanings are as multi layered as there are people

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The Eye of Horus is U'r 3rd Eye, U'r mYnd, and connected 2 the Collective Consciousness of God/WE/Source, sew everything U dew, Truman, IS being watched by the ENTIRE Universe!

Ribbit

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

Like how you worded that Mr Toad
Concise and to the point

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I used to be fascinated with mystery Egypt, her gods/godesses.

I pose a question:

5000 years ago, how would you describe a draw a god?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo

I pose a question:

Hey Captain - Now thats a good question got me thinking.
5000 years ago is along long time.

Gods and Godess's I believe represented natural laws and were part of a philosophy to do with the nature of the soul and the cosmos - It is also a creation story
There is a prime source from which everything emanates - Atum
We have the elemants of water earth air and fire represented and also the order or science of how they came to be ie moisture from air who are god and godess etc
There is Nut the godess of the heavens or stars or Cosmos who over arches and makes love to Geb the Earth god - though roles of male and female were sometimes swaped according to who was interpreting the Myth.
Then we have Zep Tepi when gods and godesses first appeared ie Humanity who is also considered a god or godess ie natural law - Though their are strong indications of a Cosmic story within all of this.
For the gods and godesses also represent stars and can be discerned to show how the Sun came into being.
Yet so much is lost by our modern world in mis translation and assumption.
That is just a very sketchy description and would require me writing to a book to expalin more full what this Original Philosophy contains - It is prior to our civilisation it is the story of creation. It sounds a brash claim I know yet Truth is Truth is Truth and there is nothing new under the Sun all is known if we care to - It is only personal interpretation that differs and all is valid as we are all valid in our individuality as souls yet we share the same source.
Art in Egypt was heavily restricted by the priesthood with rules and laws of proportion etc
- Only Akhenaten the so called Heretic Pharoah broke with tradition and the corrupt elite priesthood and told the artists to depict things as they wished - realistically.

edit on 8-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

edit on 8-2-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

The only reason Symbols are distorted is because of the religious labels applied to them for so many years, taking into account that early on, only the Church had the ability to read and write. For instance:
I wear a Pentagram about my neck, to be it stands for protection from evil influences and inferiors, and it stands for the five Elements that everything on the planet is composed of: Fire, Earth, Air, Water, and Spirit. It also stands for the Human Being, standing, arms outstretched and legs separated. To a Christian, however, it stands for Evil, Satan, and Demons. I have been told before that just the wearing of the symbol would send me directly to Hell.

Funny thing though....Christians once used the Pentagram, and then they themselves made it into a symbol of evil.

In Christian times: The five points of the pentagram have been interpreted as representing the five wounds of Christ (2 wrist, 2 ankle and 1 side).

1. The Roman Emperor Constantine used the pentagram in his seal and amulet.

2. It has been referred to as the Star of Bethlehem.

3. It was used to symbolize the star which allegedly led three 4. Zoroastrian astrologers (a.k.a. the three wise men) to the baby Jesus; it was called the Three Kings' star.

4. The English warrior Sir Gawain, a nephew of King Arthur, adopted the pentagram as his personal symbol and placed it on his shield. 7 It appeared in gold on a red background. The five points symbolized "the five knightly virtues - generosity, courtesy, chastity, chivalry and piety."

5. Tarot cards originally had a suit of coins or discs. These were changed in the 19th century to pentacles when the Tarot became associated with the Kabbalah. They eventually became the suit of diamonds in modern playing cards.

6. It has been widely used by past Christians as a protective amulet.

7. During the three centuries long burning times, the Christian church burned alive or hung tens of thousands of innocent people accused of Witchcraft, Satan worship or other heresy. The meaning of the pentagram changed. It began to symbolize a goat's head or the devil in the form of Baphomet. "The folk-symbol of security - for the first time in history - was equated with evil and was called the Witch's Foot."
Source
And further....

Many religious liberals view the Wiccan upright pentacle or pentagram as an elegant, spiritual symbol that represents life. They see the Satanic inverted pentacle or Bahomet as primarily representing a self-centered religion.

Fundamentalist and other Evangelical Christians generally have an entirely different view of Wicca, Satanism and other religions. This is influenced by some of their beliefs. In many, but not all cases:

Since they believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, they regard as true those passages which state that the gods and goddesses worshiped by other religions are, in reality, Satan or his demons.

They regard Satan as a living entity, a living, quasi deity who is totally dedicated to destroying people's lives and ruining their faith. They regard themselves as being in continuous "spiritual warfare" -- a personal battle with Satan and his demons.

They regard Satanism as having existed as an organized movement, murdering and performing "black masses" for may centuries. This contrasts with a consensus of modern historians that: "no reliable historical sources indicate that such organizations existed; the black mass appears only once in the sources before the late nineteenth century."

They do not differentiate between Wicca and Satanism. Because they consider the Wiccan gods and goddesses to be Satanic or demonic, they regard the two religions as very similar

They commonly believe that Satanists, (and by extension, Wiccans) engage in Satanic Ritual Abuse and murder. Belief in SRA is gradually diminishing, but remains still at a high level.

Books by conservative Christian authors about Wicca and Satanism are based primarily on books by other Christian authors, rather than on primary religious sources. Some of the ideas put forth in these books as truth can be traced back to 15th century Christian propaganda during the Burning Times.

Many conservative Christians do not differentiate between Wicca and Satanism, or between upright and inverted pentacles/pentagrams. All are viewed as symbols representing evil, violence and lawlessness.
Source
So, it is easy to see how this one symbol has many religious labels, some good, some evil, all dependant on what a person thinks, or has been taught. Even the Cross, the most often seen symbol of Christianity, was not always what it is today.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

That was an insightfull post re: Pentagram
Makes me think that it is what meaning we invest into symbols make them so yet we need to look to the roots of such a symbol as you have clearly done.
Of course many look on a superficial level and would fear the sight of a Pentagram.
Religions demonise that which they conquer or oppose so such things have to kept secret from closed minds yet are readily available to any with an open mind.
I posted on another post about the origins of a Swastica - Of course it was used ina perverse way by the Nazis yet it's original meaning lays thousands of years in the past and of course is benign.
Symbols are language and within them contain a wealth of information when contemplated.
A kind of shorthand.
The only evil is that placed upon them by ignorant minds.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Say with Ying Yang we see opposites or seeming opposites yet they are enclosed as one within a circle.

Hi artistpoet, nice thread. Star and flag.

I was reading through and came to the above statement, and the yin and yang symbol was one I intended to bring up. In my mind, it, too represents god/goddess and all other 'opposites': sun/moon, fire/water, day/night, happiness/sorrow which require the other in order to exist.

It is representative of how all things contribute equally to our being. We must know what day is to realize it is not day when it is dark outside. Dependence

It is perhaps my favorite symbol of those used in philosophical or ideological issues.
Yin and Yang

Yin yang are not opposing forces (dualities), but complementary opposites that interact within a greater whole, as part of a dynamic system. Everything has both yin and yang aspects as light cannot exist without darkness and vice-versa, but either of these aspects may manifest more strongly in particular objects, and may ebb or flow over time. The concept of yin and yang is often symbolized by various forms of the Taijitu symbol, for which it is probably best known in western cultures.

There is a perception (especially in the West) that yin and yang correspond to evil and good. However, Taoist philosophy generally discounts good/bad distinctions and other dichotomous moral judgments, in preference to the idea of balance. Confucianism (most notably the philosophy of Dong Zhongshu, c. the 2nd century BCE) did attach a moral dimension to the idea of yin and yang, but the modern sense of the term largely stems from Buddhist adaptations of Taoist philosophy.[2]

In Taoist philosophy, dark and light (☯) yin and yang, arrives in the dàodéjīng (道德經) at Chapter 42.[3] It becomes sensible from an initial quiescence or emptiness (wuji, sometimes symbolized by an empty circle), and continues moving until quiescence is reached again. ....

It is impossible to talk about yin or yang without some reference to the opposite, since yin and yang are bound together as parts of a mutual whole (e.g. you cannot have the back of a hand without the front). A way to illustrate this idea is to postulate the notion of a race with only men or only women; this race would disappear in a single generation. Yet, men and women together create new generations that allow the race they mutually create (and mutually come from) to survive. The interaction of the two gives birth to things.[4]

Yin and yang transform each other: like an undertow in the ocean, every advance is complemented by a retreat, and every rise transforms into a fall.

It is in Taoism a reminder that everything is necessary, and everything is the way it is meant to be, and we must, to retain balance, accept both discomfort and pleasure as simply phenomena, without 'judging' them. To be completely in the moment. When a loved one dies, we experience grief. We must endure it, and it ebbs and flows in waves. We must be aware of the waves, let them wash through us. Likewise with everything, be mindful of it, and strive for calm acceptance.

I recommend a great short book by the author quoted in my signature:
Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thích Nhất Hạnh
Here's a link to his wiki page. Very interesting and sensible man.Thich Nhat Hanh

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Sorry I'll answer my own question in a little bit, but i'm going to deviate for now; This research i've been doing lately focuses on elongated skulls and their connection to kings, queens and royalty, also the psuedoscience behind artificial cranial deformation. Do the 'gods' walk amongst us still?

Take at these links:

weeklyworldnews.com...

timenolonger.wordpress.com...

The 1400's is the most recent depiction of 'coneheads' and elongated skull people pop up, and what do you know they're of the most powerful house in Europe.!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

That was a great post about Ying Yang - thanks for link
I remember being at college and painting my own ying yang symbol on a badge because I had seen it somewhere and thought it was cool and being young being cool seemed so important back then -
It seems Tao amongst other ancient philosophies share the same insights though expressed differently
Great read

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Sorry I'll answer my own question in a little bit, but i'm going to deviate for now; This research i've been doing lately focuses on elongated skulls and their connection to kings, queens and royalty, also the psuedoscience behind artificial cranial deformation. Do the 'gods' walk amongst us still?

Take at these links:

weeklyworldnews.com...

timenolonger.wordpress.com...

The 1400's is the most recent depiction of 'coneheads' and elongated skull people pop up, and what do you know they're of the most powerful house in Europe.!

Yes the elongated skulls are thought provoking.
I do not have any firm proof of anything regarding them.
Body mutation by design is as old as the hills
For example the Chinese practice of binding feet or
The african tribe where the women stretch the neck through applying rings gradually over time.
I am not saying that alien intervention is not true far from it.
I am sorry I can not provide sources that prove what I am about to the say but hope it is of interest.
I was told that Humans way back in history were taller than today - Archeological finds seem to indicate this is a possibility.
As for Alien intervention - Again no hard proof only what I was told - At the begining of Humans being on the Earth - The first parents were of Alien origin - Being of a near by star system that was older than the Sun.
Why would they be parent to Humans - It is part of a deeper belief in the soul.
When a star is in a stage of birth it is surounded by the cosmic material created from super nova.
Hubble images show this very clearly in the steelar nursery that is Orions Sword nebula.
The star coeleces but also neighbouring stars help with the process by radiating away some of the shroud of cosmic dust. The Mali tribe the Dogon refer to this as placenta in their cosmology.
So in a way other stars act as parents and also guardians.
I know this all sounds very unscientific and may bring lots of flack but I am specualating ideas with old roots.
So from the Sun we have Earth and when Earth is ready we have Humans.
Humanity is born - the birth of new souls in a body we recognise as us.
Older souls exist - Older souls take the task of bearing Humanity through birth and are the first guiding guardians.
Over Humanitys history of civilisations rising and falling there is always an alien prescence in Human form.
However it is speculated Aliens have come in their own body forms in the distant past.
Non of this is provable ultimately yet that does not matter in reality for the basic things are most important to know.
How to be a Human Being and have Humanity for our fellow Humans.
I am not asking any to believe me.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I pose a question:

Ribbit

edit on 8-2-2012 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by wildtimes

That was a great post about Ying Yang - thanks for link
I remember being at college and painting my own ying yang symbol on a badge because I had seen it somewhere and thought it was cool and being young being cool seemed so important back then -
It seems Tao amongst other ancient philosophies share the same insights though expressed differently
Great read

Ying-Yang defines the Universe/God/Source.

Universe = 2 Spatial Verses (inner symbols) linked as One via Time (outer circle)

God/Source = Twin Souls born 2gether (Soulmates) surrounded by God/Source (outer circle)

Ying-Yang is also a great answer to the 5000 year question.

Ribbit

edit on 8-2-2012 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You should check this guy out. He states that every religion, story, or fairy tail can be traced back to astrology. Its pretty intriguing.

His videos are quite long and he does make a few minor mistakes but he presents so much information its only human to slip up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join