It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom Tower coins?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I'm sure almost everyone who watched US TV like Fox News has seen these ads for the Freedom Tower silver dollar which they state is a �legally authorized government issue� coin.

Well, the United States Mint has issued a press release that tries to clear that up.

The United States Mint:

WASHINGTON � The United States Mint is alerting consumers and the public about a new product whose television, print, and online advertisements incorrectly describe as a �legally authorized government issue� coin. This product, which purportedly commemorates the World Trade Center and the planned new Freedom Tower, is not a genuine United States coin or medal.

The National Collector�s Mint, a private commercial enterprise which is not connected to or affiliated with the United States Mint or the United States Government, is marketing this product as a Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands� 2004�Freedom Tower� Silver Dollar. Consumers may find the advertisements for this product confusing because the company uses phrases such as �legally authorized government issue,� �U.S. territorial minting,� and �silver dollar.� The product itself also may be confusing because it bears the inscription, �In God We Trust,� which Congress requires on all United States coins, and the inscription, �One Dollar.�

The mint says "Clearly, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, a U.S. insular possession, does not have the authority to coin its own money."

I had never even heard of these Islands before this.

[edit on 16-9-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I do find the location of National Collector's Mint rather, umm, unusual.

www.cia.gov...

Has anyone heard of the collector's mint before? Would the US Mint not have that advertisement pulled??

COMSEUR

[edit on 16/9/04 by COMSEUR]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
It sounds like deceptive advertising at least.

The US Mint says they are a private company.
In the ads they say it's a government issue.

The Northern Mariana Islands use US dollars so they can't say it's a Marianan dollar.

They should advertise it as a medallion, not a dollar.

Here's the ad on their website:
ncmint.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Who cares. If it gives some right-wing redneck coin collector a little pleasure, thats great. He can put it right next to his official Dale Earnhardt dildo collection, or on the shelf next to his Kirk Cameron autographed Left Behind DVD.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by apw100
Who cares. If it gives some right-wing redneck coin collector a little pleasure, thats great. He can put it right next to his official Dale Earnhardt dildo collection, or on the shelf next to his Kirk Cameron autographed Left Behind DVD.

that's uncalled for and I find it offensive... Please remove your name calling and such...

thank you.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by apw100

Absolutely hilarious.

I have seen those ads on television too, they claim its made of silver recovered from the WTC, I had honestly thought that they were just another nationally minted collector's coin. Now people are saying they are only silver plated. Yikes.

top topics

join