It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security risk in how Windows handles JPEGs.

page: 1

join
share:
E_T

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
we are talking windows here. i mean come on, what did you expect???

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
hmm, good thing jpegs arent really used for anything, otherwise this could matter

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
im not surprised at all. Windows lives for risks like that. Cant wait till linux comes of age!

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that these vulnerabilities apply only to those who have not downloaded SP2. That's my understanding, anyway.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
but sp2 is causing more problems than it has helped with... like it took ages to sort out a bluetooth hub since sp2 blocked bluetooth devices except its own and also, i gather it doesnt go too well with athlon 64 processors so many people, like me, are going back to sp1 and so stuck with that vulnerability with the jpegs.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'm sorry that others have had such problems. My computer isn't all that snazzy, an HP Pavilion a367c, but so far it does what I need and I really don't use things like games which as I understand require a lot of power, memory, etc.

Learning how to adequately protect it from malware was challenge, but I spent several months just playing around so I could learn the ropes without losing too much in the way of data. Now, I back up everything often.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
ive never had probs where i needed to resort to any backups although i do save most the stuff to a 250gig external hard disk since i got a 80gig notebook.

But xp is def a lot slower than windows 2000prof is!

Its not just games that use memory/cpu, its using a firewall to protect you from xp's failings (although sp2 does have a decent firewall apparently) and running my external soundcard, running norton professional in the background since most the virii out are designed to go after windows rather than linux boxes, plus the bluetooth stuff uses some cpu.. so yeah, its easy to slow down the pc, but i sstill sear that each new OS from M$ does use a slightly greather number of mhz if not % of cpu since cpu speeds are (hopefully, i dont know for sure) increasing in line with this extra usage

[edit on 16/9/04 by el_illumbrato]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I have XP, with Sp2, and a bluetooth mouse & Keyboard. I've noticed after I downloaded sp2 that when I hit "Control - Alt - Delete" and went to "networking" It now has 2 things there instead of one, theres "Local Area Connection" and now also "Bluetooth Network Connection", so yeah it does now use a little more cpu power but with that came a quicker reaction time with my bluetooth. For those of you Bluetoothless, it (as in the Mouse & Keyboard) takes a couple seconds for it to re-connect, but now its around 1 second to re-connect. So I think its better, because Yes, I am that impatient, and besides I have more then enough ram and cpu power.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
hey i got plenty of power too! athlon 64 3400+, 1gig ram, 330GB hard disk space etc... its just that since sp2 ive noticed a decline in performance

thinking of maybe beta testing windows 64 or trying one of the 64bit linux editions.
By the way, is there any known security risk involved with using bluetooth? because it does have a pretty large range, so couldnt someone at my neighbours house tap into my computer by bonding their spy mi5 device(or hacker device) with my bluetooth hub?

Ive got a wireless router too, but someone else i using the wireless part of it since my laptop is connected to the net alll the time anmd on 24/7 but ive encrypted that one so at least her connection is secure.

[edit on 17/9/04 by el_illumbrato]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
whats 1fif ram mean? what the hell's a fif?

Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse has a 30 foot range (regardless of walls), Microsoft set that limit on them, so that way what you said doesn't happen.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
sorry, i meant 1 gig, chill out dude! what other 3 letter word with the same letter at the beginning and end of the word could u use 2 describe ram anyway? not meg so must be gig. plus f is next to g, should have been a clue. anyways, ive edited the post too.
ye but the house next to mine shares a wall with my house (semi detatched property), so someone in a room next door could be like 5 foot from my hub!

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
First of all, I doubt they would know you have Bluetooth unless you told them.

Second of all, every blue tooth device has there own identity code, so even if you and your neighbor both had the same bluetooth enabled device they would not interfer with eachother at all.

and I am chilled, and you coulof being talking about either something I havn't heard of or 1/5 is what you meant, thats why I asked.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that these vulnerabilities apply only to those who have not downloaded SP2. That's my understanding, anyway.

You're wrong. GDI+ is a programming interface that allows you to access the Windows drawing layer. Basically, you're vulnerable regardless if you have SP2 or not.

On a side note, SP2 also brings back the old NetBIOS vulnerability.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
First of all, I doubt they would know you have Bluetooth unless you told them.

Second of all, every blue tooth device has there own identity code, so even if you and your neighbor both had the same bluetooth enabled device they would not interfer with eachother at all.

and I am chilled, and you coulof being talking about either something I havn't heard of or 1/5 is what you meant, thats why I asked.

ok, thanx for clearing that up
so my bluetooth is secure and i guess over time, they will even have ways of encrypting bluetooth like you have with wireless networking?

On a side note, SP2 also brings back the old NetBIOS vulnerability.

which is? any ways around it?

top topics

join