It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Danger of Microwave Ovens

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
reply to post by OZtracized

what say you to the WHO warning against cellphones, and links with cancer?

I'm under the distinct impression there was no evidence to support the hypothesis that high cellphone use increases the risk of cancers but they believe the subject is worth ongoing monitoring and collecting evidence.

Is that not the case? I'll happily be proven wrong. Also, I think a high(ish) level of radio or microwaves passing through your head SEEMS a little more risky than cooking your food with high intensity microwaves, turning them off, then eating your food after. Your body is not directly exposed at all. Not to mention the point made about microwaves being a form of non-ionising radiation, as opposed to alpha/beta/gamma ionising radiation released by nuclear reactions.

I think a big part of the problem is most people simply don't understand microwaves. At a glance, the whole idea does seem a little nasty until one understands the facts (as we know them).

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The joys of not having enough power to run a reactor in the kitchen.10 years ago I had one and I found they make a good underground storage box,although the worms living nearby were not impressed

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Your kidding, rigth?
I just pointed out in a previous post that all studies that do not establish link are observation studies.
All that establish a link are actual scientific studies.

Let me quote from a CNN article, on how WHO established guidelines:

- Radiation from cell phones can possibly cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization. The agency now lists mobile phone use in the same "carcinogenic hazard" category as lead, engine exhaust and chloroform.
Before its announcement Tuesday, WHO had assured consumers that no adverse health effects had been established.
A team of 31 scientists from 14 countries, including the United States, made the decision after reviewing peer-reviewed studies on cell phone safety. The team found enough evidence to categorize personal exposure as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

Note the words: peer reviewed, scientists, cancer.
link here
edit on 13-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Very clever bait and switch, or lack of thinking skills.
I never discredited the agency, only the article which is an opinion piece, based SOLELY on observational studies.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
as of to day our microwave oven will be in the bin
thanks everyone i always thought they could be
dangerous but this is it bye bye cancerwave oven
EDIT:flag
edit on 13/2/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

i think you may be overreacting. but then again, there really is no need for a microwave oven. I personally never use it. I can heat food on the stove and boil water. its THAT simple!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Microwave Oven - Fact vs. fiction

findarticles.com...

Excerpt:

Cancer

"There is nothing solid," says Lawrence Livermore's Jim Felton, who is also associate director for cancer control at the Cancer Center at the University of California, Davis.

That may explain why scientists haven't spent time and money looking for a link. "I can honestly tell you that I have never seen a valid scientific study--and I pay attention to most of the cooking research out there--that has given us reason to test whether microwaving food could cause cancer," says Felton.

"In fact, my research suggests just the opposite."

Grilling of frying meat and poultry can create heterocyclic amines, which may cause cancer. When Felton and his colleagues briefly microwaved meats and drained off the juices before grilling, most of the precursors of those potential carcinogens were lost along with the juices. (1)

"I generally recommend that patients microwave their meats for one to five minutes and discard the juices before grilling," says researcher Cyndi Thomson of the Arizona Cancer Center at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

Nutrients

"Actually, microwaving retains more nutrients than other forms of cooking, if you don't use a lot of water and don't overcook the food," says food scientist Barry Swanson.

"For some reason, people think heat breaks down vitamins, but most vitamins are really very stable to heat. Nutrients are mostly lost into the water, and there's no reason to add water to vegetables or anything else that already contains a lot of water."

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by GeordieLegend

I don't believe that at all. None of these websites alleging that the Nazis invented the microwave cite any sources at all. All the websites say the same thing.

Percy Spencer is credited with the invention of the microwave.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

This:

"Actually, microwaving retains more nutrients than other forms of cooking, if you don't use a lot of water and don't overcook the food," says food scientist Barry Swanson.

Anyone can say anything. I would like to see a study on that please. A clinical study, cause anyone can say anything.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

maybe not i have three kids and well cancer wave oven
is used a lot for them by their mum so bye bye cancer wave oven

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I don't know if anyone has answered your question.I found this
article for you...
www.relfe.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
RF waves are classified as "Possibly carcinogenic to humans, group 2B"

what does that mean?
from the IARC group of the WHO:

Group 2B: The agent is possibly carcinogenic to humans. This category is used for agents for which there is limited evidence of carcinogenicity in humans and less than sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals. It may also be used when there is inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity in humans but there is sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals. In some instances, an agent for which there is inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity in humans and less than sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals together with supporting evidence from mechanistic and other relevant data may be placed in this group. An agent may be classified in this category solely on the basis of strong evidence from mechanistic and other relevant data.

www.iarc.fr...

what other things are group 2B? I have highlighted some substances.
what does this mean? Using a cell phone, every day for 30minutes for 10 years, have just as much chance of giving you cancer, as filling your car with gasoline, coming into contact with wood, drinking coffee or eating pickled vegetables.

Art glass, glass containers, and press ware (manufacture of)
Biomass fuel (primarily wood), emissions from household combustion
Diesel fuel, marine (NB: Overall evaluation upgraded to Group 2B with supporting evidence from other relevant data)
Engine exhaust, gasoline 2B 46 1989
007440-02-0 Nickel, metallic and alloys 2B 49 1990
Pickled vegetables (traditional in Asia) 2B 56 1993
Progestogen-only contraceptives 2B 72 1999
Coffee

whole list here
monographs.iarc.fr...

edit on 13/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It would be easy to test this experiment. Get fast growing plant seeds like alfalfa, identical grow media and lighting conditions. Microwave a liter of water, let cool, then boil a liter of water and let cool. Be sure to use the water to start the seeds as soon as it cools to room temperature. Record how many seeds grow in each batch.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I don't know if anyone has answered your question.I found this
article for you...
www.relfe.com...

I am not even to comment on Relfe.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

I think this may have been meant to me, as I highlighted the fact that some either don't read, or have very little logic.

RF waves are classified as "Possibly carcinogenic to humans, group 2B"

Well there you. You should have stopped there.
You obviously have no either about the mechanics of cancer, and are trivializing the subject.
I could argue with logic and studies on each and every point of yours which you quoted.
However, you clearly show an ununderstanding of cancer pathology.
Without this, it would be very hard to get through to you.

So, as I mentioned, cell phones are linked to cancer.
By trivializing it, you will not make it less true.
They are also CLEARLY linked to infertility.

I would also suggest, as I have pointed out, that ALL studies that didn't establish a link were large scale observational studies, not really even science.
All that did establish a link were actual clinical studies.
I rest my case.
This is not a matter of faith, but of fact.

And exposing a human to 3o minutes is not a study, times that by 365 x2o-3o, and you will see an effect.
Its called prolong exposure.
Low level radiation.
edit on 14-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

PS: I am NOT agains microwaves or cell phones. I am for the sane amongst us. The last 2o years that fraudulent studies have tried to prove the impossible is lame. THere is SOME (VERY LITTLE) risk with both appliances. However, where the last 2o years not spent fighting against truth, but actually making cellphones safer, brining down exposure to an even lower level, we would be at a better place. Why is it every time, someone wants to improve established ways, they are branded a heretic.
We need to strive constantly to make things better and safer.
Why anyone would side with the status quo is amazing to me.
edit on 14-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
safespaceprotection
This site may help, its seems to have everything related to possible health risks involving microwaves, cellphones, computer and Catha ray monitors, and other gadgets and things out there in daily life that give of electric magnetic fields or possible other types of radiation. The only thing that stood out was the whole microwave part was that it helps in causing cataracts, which may be a better way to test these sort of things out instead of waiting to see on the cancer cases out there which can take anywhere from 10 to 30 or more years for people to start dropping dead.

If this stuff is harmful to you its effects are over a long period of time, by the time you see any pattern the original questions would have been long forgotten or buried. But then again looking up the cases of people who had cataracts and from back then and comparing them to now may be a bit quicker way to look things up, I do see more people wearing glasses now a days then in days past, so who knows there could be more then a little truth to the whole thing, and personally I know from a kid that these types of gadgets did effect my eyes and sight, especially those big ol catha ray tube TV's and those old microwaves it seems.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic energy, like light waves or radio waves, and occupy a part of the electromagnetic spectrum of power, or energy. Microwaves oven are very short waves of electromagnetic energy that travel at the speed of light (186,282 miles per second). In our modern technological age, microwaves are used to relay long distance telephone signals, television programs, and computer information across the earth or to a satellite in space. But the microwave is most familiar to us as an energy source for cooking food.
edit on 3-6-2019 by Ignace because: to make sentence proper

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
no mention of dangerous microbes being destroyed by a microwave oven....you never know exactly what the "handling chain" of the food products you eat...you get a country, and possibly a state....with more research you would be able to find out the producer, but every other aspect would be taken on good faith

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignant
my scariest memory of microwave ovens (other than people microwaving their infant to death) is my parents microwave would TURN ON when you open the door to put food in!

and they used it like that a few days,

would a geiger counter detect how much radiation we're exposed to? they should be cheap and readily available now that radiation is in most every household at least thru mwaves and cf bulbs

My son once burned a hole in my microwave by placing a metal bowl in it while I was at work.

Of course. He didn’t tell me about it, and I didn’t notice it for a couple of days, I used it to heat up my coffee.

Freaked me out!

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
no mention of dangerous microbes being destroyed by a microwave oven....you never know exactly what the "handling chain" of the food products you eat...you get a country, and possibly a state....with more research you would be able to find out the producer, but every other aspect would be taken on good faith
Maybe there's no mention of it because a microwave oven has no special properties when it comes to killing bacteria, although apparently there's a myth circulating that it does. What kills bacteria is time at a certain temperature, and it doesn't matter too much whether that high temperature is generated by microwaves or some other method of heating the food.

Mythbusters: Debunking Myths about Food Safety in the Home!

Myth: “If I microwave food, the microwaves kill the bacteria, so the food is safe.”

Fact: Microwaves don’t kill bacteria – microwaves generate heat that kills bacteria in foods.

So if you undercook your food with microwaves you can get just as sick as by undercooking with any other heating method. Use of a thermometer is recommended when cooking meats, to ensure they reached safe cooking temperature.

edit on 201965 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join