It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Danger of Microwave Ovens

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GeordieLegend

Plants don't always grow the same. I had a botany class and saw that first hand.

If some professionals took this up and did a solid job, I might take it seriously.

But right now it's just a young girls experiment.

I do use the stove for boiling water and try to stay away from using the microwave just in case...

But this is just a prejudice of mine. It's not scientific. So I keep it to myself.

(but once in a blue moon I do pop a bean/cheese burrito in there)

I think to a large extent bad lifestyle/health habits are inherited and shared by families.
edit on 7-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
My feelings are that if half the population switched to toaster ovens for those small jobs, that half would have a significantly higher number of fatal house fires.

I had a girlfriend who had a decorative cover for her toaster oven.
One morning in her raging hast to leave for work she tossed the loaf of bread on the counter.
It landed on the 'start' lever activating the oven. I was still in bed at the time but I did hear the formica countertop cracking. When I went out to find the noise I saw smoke filling the room and the oven ready to burst into flames.

Until some scientific study bashes them I'll stick to microwave ovens.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I did not know this SS, but here's a little info on Russian Ban
www.relfe.com...
I guess in a communist country, where profits are not so sought after, there was not enough justification for the device when compared to individuals health.

So the ban was later lifted, I wonder if it was because the threat was minimized or because the convenience outweighed any potential damage?

spec

ETA: To remove redundant post, but leave the link
edit on 7-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i don't understand that experiment. water doesn't have dna to break down and corrupt.

and the experiment was hardly done in controlled settings. she could have contaminated the water with some unknown bacteria left over in the microwave that was harmful to the plants.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Can you please provide a link to the info you posted on the Russian ban?

Never mind I see someone else just posted it
edit on 7-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Microwaves would appear to not be good for us when using them to prepare food:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Lots of microwave ovens have the fan and light come on when the door is open.
Do you know if the microwave transmitter was running when your parents machine was doing what it was doing?

Yes the light turns on in their model but not the fan and the periodic zapping sound.

It only started doing that years after use according to when I visited and noticed and was stunned,

I had contacted sharp right away and their warehouse exchanged right aways or they would be slap with suit for negligent exposure and refusal to remedy life-threatening hazard. It did cost shipping one-way though.

Good to know microwave leakage meters exists, though that's not cheap for average household, Thanks.
edit on 7-2-2012 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
We expose ourselves to all sorts of crap. It's no surprise that microwaves might hurt us.

Of course, in our super scientific society, we're perfect and almost without error.

I mean, we're about 99.99999999% right. We're wrong, but not very often.

It was only historically when we were less than 99% right. We've moved past that.

Experts predict that in a few years we'll come infinitely close to being 100% perfect.

We're so lucky that we were not born in the dark ages. Those poor sobs!

That's what they say, but...

We're not going to live 1000 years if we don't change some things.

Average lifespan is 77 in the US about. But that's not going to remain the same.

One day people might stop drinking coffee because it's unhealthy. Who knows?

Anything we commonly think of as "ok" could be in the crosshairs.

People used to mix liquid mercury and breathe in all the fumes.

Smoking cigarettes used to be seen as healthy.

Just a few examples from our past of things people thought were "ok".

All this so that we can live not 77 years, but 100, 200, 400, 800, and on into eternity.

For all we know about the future, we may not even eat food or drink water. Who knows?
edit on 7-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The pictures in the OP link look like the microwave water plant was clipped, not withered away. While i agree that microwaves are bad (I haven't used one in over 10 years), the photos in the sourced study seems tampered with
edit on 7-2-2012 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rodredux
I bought one of those EMF detectors you see on Ghost Hunters to check my home for EMF fields. Turns out, my microwave could bury the needle standing across the room. We got rid of it and replaced it with a Nuwave oven, which we bought on Amazon. It uses infrared light and convection to heat your food. Much safer, as it doesn't turn your food into carcinogenic goo. The food also tastes much better. Takes 4 minutes to reheat a plate of leftovers.

Nice! I'm gonna look into purchasing one of those Nuwave ovens.

2nd

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

If you ask me, these things should not exist anymore in the first place. People get sold on microwaves and cellphones because of their inherent convenience, thinking that it would free up some more time, but instead we just filled up that time with even more useless crap. Stop the planet. I want off.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

This might make great weed killer, water the weeds with microwaved water.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I tried this exact same experiment and got the exact same results. Then my wife told me to let the water cool down before I watered the plants!

brice

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glargod
Oh look, the satellite companies are blasting the continent with harmful radio waves for the sake of "entertaining", nice uh

2 in one mind control combo!

Why give it up now, cell phones are too cool.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeordieLegend
I've heard stuff for years that the use Microwaves was bad for us, but the story of the study carried out in the following link is very interesting:

Microwave Ovens

There were all sorts of things flying around a few years back, ranging from it being an alien technology (yes, ET eats ready meals - after all, how many crashed UFO's have you seen with an AGA / fitted kitchen?), to them giving off radiation that cooks your brain or eyeballs etc., but none the less the article brings up some interesting points...

Lol. The radiation from your computer monitor cooks your eyeballs. Why do you think when you've been staring at your screen for a long time your eyes are all red and burning?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
I guess in a communist country, where profits are not so sought after, there was not enough justification for the device when compared to individuals health.

Are you saying that a communism system would promote health more then promote profit?

Capitalism still is better, duh
I don't mind being capitalized for my a health, education and energy consumption because I have my liberty and my microwave because it's my damn responsibility if I die because of my microwave!
The governement doesn't have to tell me what is wrong and control my life

My microwave was lately used only as a water heater...but now, I think I'm just gonna sell it to the first person that gives me 5$
edit on 7-2-2012 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
We're not going to live 1000 years if we don't change some things.

Average lifespan is 77 in the US about. But that's not going to remain the same.
It hasn't remained the same, as this graph shows:

educationstormfront.wordpress.com...

Research has shown something of a biological limit somewhere around 120 years old, so we probably won't live over 120 with just better diet and living conditions.

However with genetic engineering or something more drastic, it might be possible to extend life span beyond 120 years. Without something that drastic, we will hit a brick wall around there. Many cells just stop dividing once they reach a certain age, and diet and other factors probably won't change this.

Also, back to the OP, are you as smart as a fifth grader?

Watch this video to find out.

Does microwaved water harm plants?

(OK the kid won't win any points for exciting video production value, but he's just a little kid after all, though apparently smart enough to test the internet rumor himself.)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Im sorry but are u people for real?
I dont think iv seen any of you ask for multiple sources.
Instead just believing everything and hanging of every word as though it was gospel.
How about a basic Google Search for a start.

Quote From Fact vs Fiction

Forget the charges floating around the Internet. The "evidence" that microwaved foods cause cancer boils down to Hans Hertel's and William Kopp's claims. "There is nothing solid," says Lawrence Livermore's Jim Felton, who is also associate director for cancer control at the Cancer Center at the University of California, Davis. That may explain why scientists haven't spent time and money looking for a link. "I can honestly tell you that I have never seen a valid scientific study--and I pay attention to most of the cooking research out there--that has given us reason to test whether microwaving food could cause cancer," says Felton. "In fact, my research suggests just the opposite." Grilling of frying meat and poultry can create heterocyclic amines, which may cause cancer. When Felton and his colleagues briefly microwaved meats and drained off the juices before grilling, most of the precursors of those potential carcinogens were lost along with the juices.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Microwaved Water - See What It Does To Plants

Claim: Water that has been boiled in a microwave oven (then cooled) is harmful to plants.

You really should check snopes before you post stuff here, as it will save you some embarrassment.

The day i see beelzebub wearing a ski suit and carrying a snowboard under his arm walking out of his front door eating a choc-ice is the same day i take things on Snopes as 100% fact...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Cell phones are cancer causing, WHO issues alert (find article here on ads)....This is not new news, but has just made its was to ATS.
I warned about this a few days ago! See my comments!
edit on 9-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join