It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Deploys Powerful NUCLEAR Destroyer-Class Submarine to Blockade Falklands from Argentina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
www.thenational.ae...

The submarine in question can carry over 240 nuclear warheads
, the conventional tomahawk cruise missiles are also capable of hitting anyway in argentina so that in it's self is enough to stop the Argentines from invading...

Falklands total population is around 2500 people. 1500 British soldiers have been sent to battle for/defend "Malvinas" as they now call it

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
www.thenational.ae...

The submarine in question can carry over 240 nuclear warheads
, the conventional tomahawk cruise missiles are also capable of hitting anyway in argentina so that in it's self is enough to stop the Argentines from invading...

Falklands total population is around 2500 people. 1500 British soldiers have been sent to battle for/defend "Malvinas" as they now call it

The US lost about that number of their citizens on Sept 11...

How many soldiers have they sent to various battles in the aftermath?

The people of the Falklands are 100% British Citizens and deserve full and total protection from foreign threats.

The distance counts for nothing and I fail to understand why people are making that the main talking point.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
History Repeating itself... for how long over and will this ever be resolved? Looks to me they are just preparing for periodic sacrifices - just like 9/11

en.wikipedia.org...

1982 - Falklands War I

"Argentine forces invaded and occupied the Falkland Islands and South Georgia. The British government dispatched a naval task force to engage the Argentine Navy and Air Force, and retake the islands by amphibious assault.

Deaths
649 Argentine military personnel
255 British military personnel
3 Falkland Islanders

"Argentina has asserted that the Falkland Islands are Argentinian territory since the 19th century and, as of 2012, shows no sign of relinquishing the claim. British government saw it as an invasion of a British dependent territory. However, neither state officially declared war and hostilities were almost exclusively limited to the territories under dispute and the local area of the South Atlantic."

"Relations between the United Kingdom and Argentina were restored in 1989 under the umbrella formula which states that the islands' sovereignty dispute would remain aside."

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
If Argentina decides to attack the Falklands then that would be a really really really stupid move.

They were humiliated in 1980 and they will be humiliated once more if they decide to launch any kind of attack. I'm afraid that if Argentina does attack and Britain retaliates then the whole of South America might get involved and back up Argentina

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

What are you talking about...

The submarine is of the Trafalgar class... it can only carry 30 cruise missiles. Not even nuclear apparently.

Trafalgar class submarine

Weapons and sensors

The Trafalgar class is equipped with 5 x 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes with accommodation for a mixture of 30 weapons;

Tomahawk land-attack cruise missiles - range over 1,240 miles (over 2,000 km)[8]
Spearfish wire-guided heavyweight torpedoes

They could put tactical nukes on those cruise missiles but I doubt there's any nuke onboard at this time.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
1500 troops permanantly stationed in the Falklands since 1982 (I was one of them, 6 months of my life I will never get back lol)

1 Royal Navy destroyer, permanantly deployed on 6 month tours.. The current 6 month rotation is over thus is being replaced... Normal.. Nothing special about deployment..

Same deal with the Subs

Nothing to see here folks

Move along

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Saber rattling from weak South American countries looking for someone to pay then attention. If the argies invade then it wont be like the last war. Some of my fathers friends fought in it and said the kit, bullets and guns where terrible. Every second bullet was a dud, the guns jammed etc We have a very different standing army these days so cant see them being that stupid.

An attack on the Falklands is like an attack on London, it will be met with extreme force

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
British government deploys British armed forces to defend British citizens?

THE HORROR!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
British citizens my backside. So British they don't want to come anywhere near Britain. They want to have their cake and eat it. Distance IS a factor. Look at what it's costing us to maintain and defend this pitiful piece of nothing on the other side of the world. Look at what it has cost in lives. The Argies can have them and if it's selfish citizens don't like it they can come to the UK to reclaim their birthright.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
www.thenational.ae...

ignant (ignorant)
We DON'T called them the malvinas............ !! They are called the Falkland Islands..if you are going to post, at least get the names correct....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

British citizens my backside. So British they don't want to come anywhere near Britain. They want to have their cake and eat it. Distance IS a factor. Look at what it's costing us to maintain and defend this pitiful piece of nothing on the other side of the world. Look at what it has cost in lives. The Argies can have them and if it's selfish citizens don't like it they can come to the UK to reclaim their birthright.

If we'd stop dishing out benefits and free houses to every foreigner claiming asylum, useless lazy dole-bludger or every 16 yr old drop out that pops out a couple of chavvy rugrats, we wouldnt have to worry about the cost of protecting British Citizens anywhere.

Are you saying that we should be spending less on sending forces to protect them than we spend on sending men & women to die in Helmand?...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
If Argentina decides to attack the Falklands then that would be a really really really stupid move.

They were humiliated in 1980 and they will be humiliated once more if they decide to launch any kind of attack. I'm afraid that if Argentina does attack and Britain retaliates then the whole of South America might get involved and back up Argentina

Do not worry Muse, Brazil , Chile and Colombia will not back up Argentina in a war against UK and the other countries are to weak to make any difference.
We are not so united as you think.
Argentina has unfair commercial barriers against Brazilian products, Bolivia invaded with the army an Brazilian refinery years ago , Paraguay dishonestly block a contract with us for the Itaipu Binational Hydroelectric Complex, and in the North,the Sukhois of Chavez are the main concern of the Brazilian air force.
Our potential enemies are our neighbors.

edit on 7-2-2012 by Max Devoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

The Argies can have them and if it's selfish citizens don't like it they can come to the UK to reclaim their birthright.

It's their home, they're not selfish for wanting to live on the land their ancestors have called home for two hundred years.

The only selfish person here is you and your pitiful whine about the cost of defending freedom from bullies.

top topics

join