It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Issues 2013 Solar Storm Warning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So what are you saying Phage? Does that mean we do not need to worry about buying survival supplies and generators.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ambient moon

Up to you.
A devasting geomagnetic storm could happen next month, next year, in 5 years, or not for 100 years.
But NASA did not issue a "2013 Solar Storm Warning".

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ambient moon

Up to you.
A devasting geomagnetic storm could happen next month, next year, in 5 years, or not for 100 years.
But NASA did not issue a "2013 Solar Storm Warning".

So dec 21st is still a go then?

edit on 7-2-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Nope. That's in 10 months. No chance of that.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The original article is from the Daily Telegraph 18 months ago and it is full of misquotes and bad information.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The article was also based on the DC conference Space Weather Enterprise Forum:

Link to group.

Summary of the forum found here.

As you have mentioned, not as sensationalist as the media article.
edit on 7-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
Let it come. I grow tired of our "modern" life. Put people to work when their survival is on the line, not for the next blackberry or iPad that is coming out.

Nothing we can do about it but sit back, relax, enjoy the show and then get to work in the fields.

I have to agree, I think some event needs to happen to make people think about the Earth, not apocalypse, probably some darkness for days or anything that will make people wake up and think more about nature and the planet than what is the newest iPhone as you saild.

Not that I'm not interested in some of these latest gadgets but the fact that Im discussing such things here means I haven't let materialism go over my head.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Oh no, now this is extreme doom and gloom. Now lets see the experts come in and undermine all the future catastrophe.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Let it come. I grow tired of our "modern" life. Put people to work when their survival is on the line, not for the next blackberry or iPad that is coming out.

Nothing we can do about it but sit back, relax, enjoy the show and then get to work in the fields.

So everyone else should suffer because YOU are tired of modern life? Nice..

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, are you prepared? What would you suggest based on your own survival to those who for what ever reason are just coming to understand the realities we CTers have known about for decades? If something were to happen tomorrow are you prepared in any special way? No offense, just wondering since you always seem to shoot down the worst case scenarios and come out correct most or all of the time so far...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

So everyone else should suffer because YOU are tired of modern life? Nice..

It's not like if anything ever happens on that scale, It would be directly because of me. So no, I think you miss understand me.

It's more along the lines of, if the solar flare does hit, there's nothing I or the rest of humanity can do about it, so It may as well come to pass, and the only thing I can do is sit back and enjoy it. At that point, what else can you do?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think this has more to do with funding issues than it does the likelihood of a catastrophic event. The "dire warnings" as they were are based off an old event -

As 2011 unfolds, the sun is once again on the eve of a below-average solar cycle—at least that’s what forecasters are saying. The "Carrington event" of 1859 (named after astronomer Richard Carrington, who witnessed the instigating flare) reminds us that strong storms can occur even when the underlying cycle is nominally weak.
In 1859 the worst-case scenario was a day or two without telegraph messages and a lot of puzzled sky watchers on tropical islands.

In 2011 the situation would be more serious.

Link

If you refer back to the previous post where I linked the summary of the forum addressing weather preparedness, they are looking to increase monitoring of solar activity and a whole bunch of other things that cost money.

Nothing like a good what if scenario to get the purse strings to loosen.

Is the world ending? No.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Be interesting to see how world leaders and governments react closer to the time, will give us a real for who cares and who doesn't.

Health care providers are going to need a triage system and some sort of emergency power source even if there is a slight chance this could happen, let's hope we see some preparations soon.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatest
Be interesting to see how world leaders and governments react closer to the time, will give us a real for who cares and who doesn't.

Health care providers are going to need a triage system and some sort of emergency power source even if there is a slight chance this could happen, let's hope we see some preparations soon.

Closer to what time? The doom and gloom scenario does not have a high chance of happening. It is just a "what if".

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Based on the various events unfolding around the world it is unrealistic to think 'something' will not happen. I was however talking hypothetically in response to the OP.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Well disconnect yourself from "modern life." Everyone else (normal people) I'm pretty sure prefer not to be working in the fields.

I Never will understand how some look forward to death and destruction,
edit on 8-2-2012 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Don't know if you've seen this, was posted on GlobalPost today.

Better get all your texting, emailing, Facebooking and Tweeting in now, because if the sun has its way, within the next decade technology may be obsolete.

According to the International Journal of Research and Applications, there is a one in eight chance the earth will experience a massive solar storm within the next decade.

Pete Riley, a senior space scientist at Predictive Science in San Diego, California, published the one in eight estimate in Space Weather. Even he was surprised at the likelihood of the event, he told Wired Magazine. “Even if it’s off by a factor of two, that’s a much larger number than I thought," he said.

The last major solar flare event took place 150 years ago on September 1, 1859, and is known as the Carrington Event. The New York Times described the event as, "The Brilliant Display on Sunday Night, The present generation have listened with wonder and admiration to the stories their fathers and mothers have told them of auroras and meteors. They have opened their ears and mouths and eyes as they heard of stars falling from the heavens like rain, of the sky at night becoming red as with blood, and in the day time of its being so darkened that stars were visible. Few have had the opportunities of witnessing these sublime displays; but on Sunday night the heavens were arrayed in a drapery more gorgeous than they have been for years…Such was the aurora, as thousands witnessed it from housetops and from pavements. Many imagined they heard rushing sounds as if Aeolus had let loose winds."

While the sight may have been beautiful, it destroyed communication at the time, with reports of telegraph wires bursting into flames.

Now imagine this happening in 2012.

Earth Island Journal cites a National Academy of Sciences report which estimates a “century-class” solar storm could cause 20 times the damage as Hurricane Katrina while “full recovery could take four to ten years.”

NASA has proposed a "Solar Shield" project that would protect the United States power grid, which would include reinforcing power stations and stockpiling replacement parts at a cost of around $1 billion dollars. The US House of Representatives passed the bill necessary to move forward with the proposed project, however Senate has failed to act on Solar Shield Bill H.R.668.
edit on 1-3-2012 by goinglocodowninacapulco because: spelling

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Okay this may sound totally silly but I was just watching a tv show, "The Mentalist" and the term "Carrington Event" was used, but they were not referring to the Carrington Event of the 1800s. Obviously this was not spontaneous- it was written into the script but I can't help wonder about it.

Sal

top topics

<< 1   >>

join