It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China wants a claim on the arctic? What???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
And our sellout Canadian government is giving it to them apparently.

Commentary: China pivot -- or pirouette?

China also informed Canada last week that it wanted a seat at the arctic table, which means it seeks the same status as the eight countries whose territory lies within the Arctic Circle. It will be Canada's turn to chair the group in 2013.

What the hell???? China is NOWHERE NEAR the arctic! They have NO CLAIM AT ALL...

Harper is a TRAITOR if he backs China on this.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Seems to me they have no claim whatsoever and it is pretty wishful thinking to even bring this up.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
no one even lives there. besides a few eskimos that get harassed for clubbing baby seals to feed their family in a barren and harsh environment.

my guess is that there is a sh-t load of untapped oil or natural gas.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Does anyone else besides me see the cluster-**** that is in the making here. This has the potential to get real ugly.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
China has been taking Australian land on Antarctica. (Australia owns most of the land btw). They have signs up saying "Welcome to China." The Australian Government won't even lift a finger.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Well that's exactly why China wants in even if they have no claim at all.

Hopefully the other countries who have claims on the arctic call Harper on his BS and totally refuse this insanity.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
China has been taking Australian land on Antarctica. (Australia owns most of the land btw). They have signs up saying "Welcome to China." The Australian Government won't even lift a finger.

That's because the Australian government is full of sellouts who lick China's boots.

Hell a few years back, the Australian government submitted defense budget plans to China for ``approval`` to not piss off China.

I mean come on. Kevin Rudd should have been put against the wall for that one.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

This is nothing new. Weve discussed this a few times before except the location was the South China Sea area.

China has gone on this crusade to dig up as many territorial claims they can, in addition to pretending the treaties they signed with surrounding neighbors on territorial claims never occurred or are invalid.

Whats next - China demanding the US give up land in North America because a few thousand years ago they supposedly made it here first?

Maybe Taiwan should file a territorial claim on mainland China.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Ching Chong a Ding Dong!
Los Chinitos Locos!

They may just be after seal penis or something like that.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

As an Australian Vitchilo, i couldnt have said it better myself.

Australia is on a down hill slide on a Vasoline mountain

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
They probably want it because it is barren. If they begin testing weapons or building factories up there, no one will really complain untill it is too late. Before the Olypics were held, they had to clean up alot of their country and shut down factories to reduce air pollution. Move them some where else and they do not have to deal with the problem.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

China demanding the US give up land in North America because a few thousand years ago they supposedly made it here first?

OMG!
The Chinese president visited Australia a few years ago and told our parliament that China had found and colonized Australia 300 years before the first fleet (Europeans) arrived. Will they use that card on us too just to get the land?
Btw China has also been trying to make claims in Antarctica where Australia owns a large portion of it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
With the Asian continent being as large as it is, you would think it would be enough even for China's bloated population!
That being said, I believe the whole planet belongs to all living things on earth. Can't we all just get along?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
This combined with all the mystery surrounding the lake vostock team, and now this, I am beginning to think that something is really down there, and they know it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Lake Vostok is in the Australian Antarctic Territory (south pole), this article is talking about China making claims in the Arctic (north pole).

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Maybe the arctic s going to dry up in the future and everyone's there to battle for the land resources. Lols

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Didn't i see you in another thread wishing the Americans would leave Australia, and inviting China in to be your "friend"? Weird little flip flop there..

top topics

join