It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questioning Mormonism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Understood...
but this gal has been in this for 15 years..

and still has a LOVE problem.
Am sure the Bishop has his hands full .

Oh and please, yep some Christians have a lot to learn too. I know I still have a lot of room for growth.

In this we agree, Akragon, : You and I both agree that Jesus' spoken words are true.
You know my stance on the Bible, believing He gave it all to us. So in this we disagree.

I truly find you a rare breed in this, not believing the whole, but yet I consider myself a rare type of Christian also...for I'm not molded to stay in a box , and love seeking for truth on my own too.

lol we've been back and forth but I must run for now...
again, there are probs in all religions, I do realize...... not blaming the religion I blame the PERSON ! lol.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

Understood...
but this gal has been in this for 15 years..

and still has a LOVE problem.
Am sure the Bishop has his hands full .

In what?

Mormonism? There is no religion that gives you a full understanding of the concepts of God... only one man... The best advice i could give would be that she needs to find the seperation between flesh and spirit...

Very hard to explain...

I made an attempt Here... Didn't turn out too well...

Oh and please, yep some Christians have a lot to learn too. I know I still have a lot of room for growth.

Who doesn't have a lot to learn... IF you already know what you need to know... why are you here. The fact is you wouldn't be here if you knew everything... We're here to learn.

edit on 24-2-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

In what?
Handful: I was referring to & assuming the two members would be a handful since my friend was unable to get through to them. ... could never get her to say "I love you" back.

So, it is only my assumption that the Bishop would have a hard time getting through to them .

Yes! We live and learn

edit on 24-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Yes, definatly an assumption...

One never knows who will get through to who... Sometimes things sink in that come from the most unlikely sources....

The "bishop" likely got to that position for a reason... wouldn't you agree?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Yes, definatly an assumption...

One never knows who will get through to who... Sometimes things sink in that come from the most unlikely sources....

The "bishop" likely got to that position for a reason... wouldn't you agree?

God has many venues and oft works in mysterious ways for sure.

Not sure what you are asking but I'd say , yes. Assuming again, it just makes sense, that he got to the bishop position because of his obedience and dedication to the belief

Hey, I asked another question in my thread about the Mormon Magical Panties which I failed to include earlier which relates to this thread, if you are interested. Maybe someone will come along to answer. I asked basically if I were a Mormon, would I have the choice of not wearing them.
We will have to stay tuned for the answer. Am curious, because I don't like being dictated to by any mere man. Surely that requirement is not written in their Mormon book.?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 25-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hi again, Akragon,

Hope you don't mind, but I wish to add:

Just spoke with friend who has the LDS sister.(the one who couldn't say I love you)

Well, I was very shocked to hear that this sister has pictures of their Mormon prophets hanging in her home...Friend seemed to think that they worship their idols more than the Creator. And I tend to agree . Of course, this is our opinion.

Also, I was informed that this LDS sibling believed in 7? levels of heaven , and that the husband and wife won't even go to the same heaven. This is VERY warped, imo. and goes against the very words of Jesus and the Holy Bible.

Were you aware of this? The more I study upon this false cult- the more sickening it becomes . I know you only believe in Jesus's words -and not the rest of the Bible. But Jesus only spoke of ONE Heaven and I'm sure you will agree.

So, you may want to ask YOUR friend about these things..(?) and see what he has to say. Not many folks are biting, are they?
edit on 28-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerLou
Hi again, Akragon,

Hope you don't mind, but I wish to add:

Just spoke with friend who has the LDS sister.(the one who couldn't say I love you)

Well, I was very shocked to hear that this sister has pictures of their Mormon prophets hanging in her home...Friend seemed to think that they worship their idols more than the Creator. And I tend to agree . Of course, this is our opinion.

Also, I was informed that this LDS sibling believed in 7? levels of heaven , and that the husband and wife won't even go to the same heaven. This is VERY warped, imo. and goes against the very words of Jesus and the Holy Bible.

Were you aware of this? The more I study upon this false cult- the more sickening it becomes . I know you only believe in Jesus's words -and not the rest of the Bible. But Jesus only spoke of ONE Heaven and I'm sure you will agree.

So, you may want to ask YOUR friend about these things..(?) and see what he has to say. Not many folks are biting, are they?

Well mormonism is quite a mystery, that is why i made this topic. I was hoping some of the LDS members on this site might clear some misconceptions about the religion. Though it seems that like much of christianity, many don't understand their beliefs either. They just blindly follow the flock.

I've been trying to get a the root of my problem with the BOM... but it seems every time i bring up the fact that the encounter with christ detailed in the BOM was taken directly from the KJV... my friend side steps the quesiton and procedes to tell me how great the BOM is... "it requires Faith" etc etc...

This issue you're speaking of i actually didn't know... this belief in 7 heavens is the same as gnostic belief.

If you read the apocalypse of Paul, you'll find that he speaks about traveling through the heavens...

www.gnosis.org...

And i have a bit of bad news for you. If you're one that believes in pauls writings... he also believed in more then one heaven....

2I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth: such an one caught up to the third heaven.

Myself.. i do not know, nor do i pretend to know... i was not blessed with the ability to remember my past lives... nor do i remember the afterlife... so on this issue im also up in the air.

edit on 28-2-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I agree that a lot of people blindly follow others without question or reason... whether it's religious or not.

. Though it seems that like much of christianity, many don't understand their beliefs either. They just blindly follow the flock.

Remember: Many claim the Christian title when in reality they are far from it. But yes, I agree that some blindly follow, believing others and they do not seek for truth themselves.

I've been trying to get a the root of my problem with the BOM... but it seems every time i bring up the fact that the encounter with christ detailed in the BOM was taken directly from the KJV... my friend side steps the quesiton and procedes to tell me how great the BOM is... "it requires Faith" etc etc...

My take on the BOM is this: It may have used a verse or two of truth from the real Bible so as to make it more believable and acceptable. Satan likes to counterfeit. So let's just have a little truth just so as enough to make a believer out of them. A great deceptive tactic and will especially draw more babe Christians to their way and from the faith.

I may comment further but references to Heaven:

Heaven = where the birds fly
Heaven = space/stars/planets
Heaven= God's abode (and He is preparing a place for us)

Myself.. i do not know, nor do i pretend to know... i was not blessed with the ability to remember my past lives... nor do i remember the afterlife... so on this issue im also up in the air.

Past lives?

Joh 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Joh 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Not sure where you got past lives but hope Jesus' words help

He doesn't speak of many lives nor does He ever mention a second chance.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Well first off i don't believe satan exists from a christian POV

And your comments on heaven...

ahem... surely you jest.

26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

As for the past lives thing... i know i have lived before... i just have no memory of it. I do wish i had such memories but unfortunatly i don't. Perhaps one day they will come...

And you said Jesus never mentioned a second chance? On the contrary...

Everyone makes it to the afterlife, but once you're there you might not like what is to come...

31Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Judgement can not come if one is dead... Its the spirit that is judged, the spirit that lives on forever, has always lived and always will live... Judgement also comes in this life, but some issues can not be resolved in one life.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Well first off i don't believe satan exists from a christian POV
Oh yeah, I forgot.

ahem... surely you jest.

Not in the least. The word Heaven has different meanings in some Bible verses. If you study the Greek/Hebrew origin of the word Heaven, it will be made more clear of the context.

As for the past lives thing... i know i have lived before... i just have no memory of it. I do wish i had such memories but unfortunatly i don't. Perhaps one day they will come...

Ak, you KNOW but you have no memory? How can one do that?

And you said Jesus never mentioned a second chance? On the contrary...

Everyone makes it to the afterlife, but once you're there you might not like what is to come...

I agree.

Judgement can not come if one is dead... Its the spirit that is judged, the spirit that lives on forever, has always lived and always will live... Judgement also comes in this life, but some issues can not be resolved in one life.

Right:
The spirit of man is immortal but judgment comes to all when we leave this temporal body.

Hey, I thought you believed Jesus's words! He refers to Satan:
Please note what Jesus says here.
(Rev 2:7) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

(Rev 2:8) And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

(Rev 2:9) I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

(Rev 2:10) Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

(Rev 2:11) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

(Rev 2:12) And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;

(Rev 2:13) I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
-------------------------------------
Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hey, Akragon,
I was just looking at Filer's Files (a UFO weekly newsletter), and came across this little blurb.www.nationalufocenter.com...

Mormon prophet Joseph Smith

Kenneth Larson writes that Joseph Smith (1805-1844) worldview changed when he met extraterrestrial visitors. As a 14-year-old boy he had been praying in a wooded glen near Palmyra, New York, on about September 26, 1820. Smith said, he looked up and saw a bright object in the clear sky that grew in magnitude, slowly descended, lit tree branches in bright color, and landed on the ground. Two brilliant Personages appeared standing in the air looking exactly alike and made clear by voice that they were the glorious Father God and His Son Jesus Christ.

Also, the visiting angel or space visitor Moroni visited Joseph Smith about eight times between September 21-22, 1823 to 1827 and gave Joseph advanced information of a religious nature and that Joseph had been chosen by the Lord God to receive religious information that would enlighten the human race on earth.

So the Snowflake UFO of November 5, 1975, could have had a basis in religion or possibly related to the possible UFO with occupants that visited Mormon Joseph Smith in 1820. Out of this came the two books The Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price and information about ancient Egypt and the planet Kolob near the chief planet where God resided and stars and astronomy, gold plates, Hill Cumorah, Urim and Thummim, and the religious themes of Joseph Smith and his dedicating on August 3, 1831 of Independence, Jackson County, Missouri, as the site of the glorious New Jerusalem.

So seem to involve religious matters as well as historical records, astronomy, science, ancient Egypt and Israel, astrophysics, and the recent discovery by scientists of over 33 exoplanets similar in shape and temperature to our planet Earth and the exploration of space and other worlds, etc.

I don't know much about the LDS either, except that they run the free genealogy site and do a great job of that; I helped transcribe some census documents a couple of years ago.

I am part of a local org that has several Mormon members; they are a tight-knit group, and one of them is a leader or whatever (able to perform marriages in any case). He has very early morning hours for his part of the crew and it does include praying (which I find a turn-off, like a 12-step meeting).

I live near in the same metro area as the Community of Christ Headquarters:

As you approach the town of Harry Truman from the west you also notice a gleaming spire and a large copper domed building just west of the main downtown area.

These are the headquarters buildings of the community of Christ, the second largest church evolving from the Mormon tradition. While they are the most obvious branch of the Mormon tree here in Independence, they are far from the only one for it was here on a plot of ground - the so-called Temple Lot - between the two large Community of Christ buildings where Joseph Smith revealed to the faithful that Jesus would return here at the time of the Second Coming.

The ground was the supposed site for the original Garden of Eden - according again to Smith.
The Mormon faith underwent traumatic fractures at the time of Smith’s murder in Carthage, Illinois in 1844. Here in Independence, the aftermath of those layers of schismata can be uncovered.

Huhn! I didn't know that; the Garden of Eden was here?? And this is where JC will be coming? Cool; I'll let yall know if I hear anything....surely the trumpets I'll be able to hear, right?

Here's a couple of pics of their gorgeous building. It really is impressive up close...

Read more: members.virtualtourist.com...
edit on 28-2-2012 by wildtimes because: add link for first ex-text

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Revelation is NOT the words of Jesus... IT is the words of John of Patmos... And yes i know the christian explanation (excuse?)... its in the first chapter of the book...

Ak, you KNOW but you have no memory? How can one do that?

Lets just call it a feeling... sometimes when you know you know. Nothing could possibly make me deny this feeling i have, i just know i've lived before... but thats neither here nor there.

Hey, I thought you believed Jesus's words! He refers to Satan:

I know he refers to satan, i believe Satan might exist, but again not in the Christian POV... I believe IF he exists, he is an angel that has a job to do, that is to make people turn from God. Hes call the adversary...
'
The idea of a war in heaven is nonsence... AS IF an angel would be stupid enough to attempt to overthrow his creator... Its simple christian nonsence... Its like an ant trying to toss YOU out of your house... what a joke!

IF satan exists, hes doing the job God assigned him... He is NOT against God.... I believe he is his greatest ally... but definatly NOT on our side...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Wow, those buildings are impressive!

I guess God needs a spectacular building...

Personally... considering it says "Earth is where God rests his feet"... what church can contain God?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I agree with you, that the building's opulence is of no importance whatsoever. In fact, think the ostentatious religious temples and cathedrals, while beautiful aesthetically, are a glaring slap in the face of the teachings of Jesus; poverty, and rejection of the material.

But it is quite an architectural achievement.

Nono, my "church" is in the woods by the river; or on a mountaintop; or in my garden.
I have an old tee my mom gave me with a little poem I love:
"the kiss of the sun for pardon
the song of the birds for mirth
one is nearer God's Heart in a garden
than anywhere else on earth."

The great out of doors...
is God's almighty and beautiful creation, that no man-made structure can beat.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There is a website which explains the core beliefs of Mormons. The website is:exmormon... This website describes The Fourteen Fundamental Beliefs of Mormonism. Some of these fundamental beliefs include the following: Article 1. Our God was originally an extraterrestrial being who perfected himself and was eventually promoted to his present position. He is, however, one of billions of similar Gods existing in our universe. If we behave ourselves, one of us might someday hold the position that this God holds today. Article 3. The Virgin Mary was not really a virgin. God physically copulated with Mary and is the physical father of Jesus, who carried, therefore, a mixture of human and Divine DNA within the cells of his body. Article 9. Mormonism is the One True Religion, and it is the duty of each Mormon to work tirelessly until every person on the face of the Earth has converted to Mormonism. Article 14. That Mormonism is true is proved by the fact that there are people who disbelieve it.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I have to wonder if anyone has put the Book of Mormon on the map of history, as David Rohl has done for the Old Testament?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join