It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Busted! Rep. Leaves ALEC Wording In Corporate Tax Resolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
caught red handed,
by accidently leaving the author of the bill the rep has shown she was paid by ALEC to pass the bill and failed to remove the authors notes

wounder how much money changed hands?

in my country the shame would cause resignation, and if finacial ties could be show they both alec and the rep (if in my country) would go to jail

what do you think about 1% corperations DIRECTLY writing your laws?

xploder
edit on 6-2-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Dear XPLodER,

Hello again, I'm beginning to feel like you're a best friend.

Would you mind if I picked a couple of nits with the OP? I see where the state representative didn't do her work checking the legislation. That's bad, of course. It reminds me of Nancy Pelosi and Obamacare "We'll have to pass the bill to learn what's in it." But I don't see any evidence that she was given money to introduce the legislation. Maybe she was, I don't know, but maybe they just think alike. I can see the Sierra Club writing legislation for Al Gore to introduce.

You'll probably hate me for this, but I'm not too upset with somebody drafting a bill and sending it to a legislator, asking them to introduce it. I'm sure no legislator ever drafted a bill on building codes or fire safety, some special interest group or other individual wrote it.

All she can do with that bill is introduce it. If it's no good, it won't get passed through both houses, or signed by the Governor. Now, if ALEC has bribed a majority of the legislators into abandoning their responsibilities, then sure, send everybody to jail. But it sounds like ALEC only said "Hey, would you put this before the other legislators and see what they think?"

If that's what happened, I'm not too worried.

With respect,
Charles1952
edit on 6-2-2012 by charles1952 because: Remove surplus

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Sorry, I just to have to comment. Whatever language recognition program they're using needs a few tweaks! The subtitles remind me of trying out Dragonspeak when it first came out. Absolutely hysterical translations sometimes. Hope only English speaking people actually watch The Young Turks otherwise they're going to think this guy speaks gibberish. I've notice the same on some of their other videos.

Sorry OP, I know this isn't the topic you wanted discussed, but it's not really OT either.

As an aside, I agree that it is deplorable that every level of our government is wholly corrupt.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by XPLodER

Dear XPLodER,

Hello again, I'm beginning to feel like you're a best friend.

Would you mind if I picked a couple of nits with the OP? I see where the state representative didn't do her work checking the legislation. That's bad, of course. It reminds me of Nancy Pelosi and Obamacare "We'll have to pass the bill to learn what's in it." But I don't see any evidence that she was given money to introduce the legislation. Maybe she was, I don't know, but maybe they just think alike. I can see the Sierra Club writing legislation for Al Gore to introduce.

when too many bills are written by special interests groups, there is less and less time for bills for procedure and for the public benifit.

You'll probably hate me for this, but I'm not too upset with somebody drafting a bill and sending it to a legislator, asking them to introduce it. I'm sure no legislator ever drafted a bill on building codes or fire safety, some special interest group or other individual wrote it.

in the case of SOPA PIPA AND ACTA mabey a bit of industry (internet) imput would create less destructive special interest bills.

All she can do with that bill is introduce it. If it's no good, it won't get passed through both houses, or signed by the Governor. Now, if ALEC has bribed a majority of the legislators into abandoning their responsibilities, then sure, send everybody to jail. But it sounds like ALEC only said "Hey, would you put this before the other legislators and see what they think?"

i would contend that the actions show clearly and beyond doubt that the bill was written in the private interest, and working in the private interest while holding public office is a breach of the oath of office.

If that's what happened, I'm not too worried.

im sure the reps time was consumed and resources used (pulic resources)
in the private interest. then an investigation is warented

now if future employment was a form of fincial payment then criminility can be derived.

xploder
edit on 7-2-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Dear XPLodER,

I can always count on you for having a fresh perspective, I'm glad to know you. May I give you some applause?

Sometimes it's hard for me to separate public interest from private interest. For example, the Railroad Workers Union brings a bill to a legislator calling for XYZ billion dollars to be spent building rail lines in the US. Is that for the private interst of the railroad workers, or the public interest in efficient transportation? In this ALEC case, was the bill to benefit only ALEC, or the whole economy through business growth? See why I'm confused?

I absolutely agree that I wouldn't want all our bills written by special interest groups. I wouldn't mind if they sent in a note saying "We think it would be a good idea for you to write up a bill that would spend more money on railroads." That's fine, we should be able to call our representative and tell him what we think needs to be done.

I just had a thought. Would it have been all right if ALEC called her and said "We think we need this kind of bill," and she said "I agree, draw one up and send it to me?" That seems a little better to me.

in the case of SOPA PIPA AND ACTA mabey a bit of industry (internet) imput would create less destructive special interest bills.
You're right again. It would have been better to catch this earlier. But at least the people did catch it and stopped it.
(By the way, that's what scares me about Obama. He's said he'll sign off on ACTA without any Congressional oversight. This guy thinks he is king.)

im sure the reps time was consumed and resources used (pulic resources)
in the private interest. then an investigation is warented
We would be living in a different society if we launched an investigation whenever a politician was accused of wasting time or resources. We'd have to hire 100,000 new investigators. Sad, really.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

This proves how NGO's groups will infiltrate any political institution for financial gain.

This is widespread and more damaging than we can imagine.

This particular "incident" is an example of just how incompetent elected officials can be

Most likely, it was some administrative assistant that made the "error".

The best part is of course, taxpayers keep right on paying millions of dollars for all this garbage.

99% of all legislation does not have a positive impact on the majority of citizens.

Legislation only targets small groups.

join