It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China publishes high-resolution full moon map

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I think there are downloader programs which you can pause and restart. I would think you could download a GB, pause it, copy the downloaded data to another folder and view it. Then, unpause the downloader and get another GB, and so on and so on. Just a thought. Don't know if it would work.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Is it because it is not American give it more validity? Like you will get more disclosure from China and Russia? Is that the thought process going on here?

Your thought process is the following:

"America is great, America is best ... we are gods, therefore the rest of the world is no equivalent".

Saying your thought process is unrealistic, and even trying to tell you that there is more "truth" on Chinese national TV, than there is on CNN, would merely get a "hugh" from you and a laughter. Because, your a religious freak ... not an intelligent human being. You "believe", you don't research ...

That doesn't mean, that the information from Russia or China is better, only means that to get the truth, you need to check all sources, and stop believing in crap. Your crap, is just as much crap, as someone elses crap.

That said, I saw some of these images on Chinese national TV this morning, and the pictures are awesome. They far exceed anything published so far. Clarity was awesome, I'd definately sacrifice an 800 Gb drive for it, if I had the bandwidth do download it.

edit on 7/2/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

Its OK you had an emotional release, hope it helps. I hope it helps that you achieve the ability to read numbers and discover the data doesn't lie. Now I think it is wonderful the beautiful pictures China was able to detect and send back to us, and also to project onto a 3D terrain model of altimeter echo technology. They sure look nice. Good for them.

But in reality 7 meters is much bigger than 0.5 meters, and no adolescent temper tantrum will change that. I'm not going to even touch the data release practices of the countries, so be excused to the corner without punishment, and think for a while.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Thank you for not titling this thread: "China photographs harbors, ships, airports and planes on the Moon."

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Vitchilo

Thank you for not titling this thread: "China photographs harbors, ships, airports and planes on the Moon."

Why would he, most that never read the article and just spew out their agendas would never 'get it'.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

I suggest you find out what was shown in the image then look for the same area in the LRO images if you thought detail down to 7mtrs looked good how will you react to 0.5 mtrs or 0.25 mtrs on some LRO images.

Now for all the NASA hides this and NASA hides that folk on here why dont you compare what you see on the Chinese images with an LRO image then may be you lot will stfu

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
Now for all the NASA hides this and NASA hides that folk on here why dont you compare what you see on the Chinese images...

...that are not publically available...

...with an LRO image...

...of which more than 200,000 are downloadable for free at the highest resolution (with more being released all the time)...

...then may be you lot will stfu

Ftfy

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Why are there only lava flows on the moons area that faces Earth? What ever caused the flows, some scientists say meteor impacts, must have come very close to the Earth on its way to impact, this planet has had some really close shaves!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

your link is fake

that picture is fake, just a 3D model with a texture on it.... looks real but to the trained eye you can see its just a 3D model textured fake, pretty low polys too, they didn't try to hard

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjarneorn

Originally posted by Illustronic
Is it because it is not American give it more validity? Like you will get more disclosure from China and Russia? Is that the thought process going on here?

Your thought process is the following:

"America is great, America is best ... we are gods, therefore the rest of the world is no equivalent"

I'm pretty sure what he meant was that if a person feels NASA would likely try to hide things from the world (i.e., moon bases, etc.), then they should also feel that China is at least equally likely to hide those kinds of things from the world.

...and to respond to your comment directly, the fact remains that NASA's LRO images are still much higher resolution than these Chinese images. That's not necessarily American "Chest Pounding"; it's just a fact about the resolution of the images.

edit on 2/8/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

that picture is fake, just a 3D model with a texture on it.... looks real but to the trained eye you can see its just a 3D model textured fake, pretty low polys too, they didn't try to hard

Obviously, the image is computer generated. What makes you think the data set it was generated from was not gathered by digital sensors on a space probe? I assume that's what you mean by "fake,"

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I agree. I think the topography is computer-generated from actual data (the "3D look" of the image), but the surface texture picture is real.

That is to say, the 3D topography was computer generated, then a real moon image was 'overlaid' on that CGI 3D model.

edit on 2/8/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: speeelling

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Hark at her

Why look at 7mtr resolution when we have 0.6-0.25 mtr already

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

if they had a probe out there they wouldn't need to make a fake model with textures

they could take a picture of the real thing

DUH

fakkkee

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

if they had a probe out there they wouldn't need to make a fake model with textures

You would say that looks fake, too.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
reply to post by DJW001

DUH

fakkkee

I think the picture (or at least the "surface") is real. The part that I think is probably fake is the 3D-ness of the image. Like I said above, it looks as if the overlaid a real picture on a computer-generated 3D topography.

This is often done. The topography is generated in a computer using data acquired from the spacecraft (often radar data), and then the real picture of the surface is laid over top of that 3D topography. This way, scientists can rotate and manipulate the view any way they want.

This will require some manipulation of that surface image, such as pixel interpolation and/or stretching of the image -- that's because they need to fit a 2D image onto a 3D surface.

edit on 2/9/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
i have just downloaded some of the chinese CII images - i think you may want to look at what i have found

link to my facebook folder - www.facebook.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pencilnev

That's some pretty crummy imagery. Too contrast-y. Perhaps you magnified too far. You can only zoom-in so much, then the imaging artifacts overwhelm tha actual data.

Still, even though LRO images are better, kudos to the Chinese. A whole-moon map at 7m/p is still a great achievement, and learning to operate & monitor spacecraft in cislunar space is an important step in developing their space capability.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Did anyone download the entire file and find anything interesting worth mentioning?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join