It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China publishes high-resolution full moon map

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I can't find a link... but even then I wouldn't download the data... it's 800 GB...

China publishes high-resolution full moon map

China on Monday published a set of full coverage of moon map and moon images with a resolution of seven meters captured by the country's second moon orbiter, the Chang'e-2.

The map and images released by the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence (SASTIND) are the world's highest-resolution lunar images ever published that cover all of the moon, said Liu Dongkui, deputy chief commander of China's lunar probe project.

The images were photographed by a charge-coupled device (CCD) stereo camera on Chang'e-2 from the heights of 100 km and 15 km over the lunar surface between October 2010 and May 2011, the SASTIND statement said.

The resolution of the images obtained from Chang'e-2 is 17 times finer than those taken by the its predecessor Chang'e-1.

If there were airports and harbors on the moon, the Chang'e-1 could just identify them while Chang'e-2 could detect the planes or ships in them, said Tong Qingxi, academician with the Institute of Remote Sensing Applications of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

The scientists also made some adjustments to the original data to more accurately reflect the topographic and geomorphologic features of the moon, the SASTIND statement said.

The scientists have produced 746 moon pictures with the resolution of seven meters, and the total volume of data is about 800 GB, the statement said.

Awesome. I know a lot of people here will be happy to look at the pics and finding odd stuff!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I can't find a link... but even then I wouldn't download the data... it's 800 GB...

I was about to... then I remembered what a GB is...

Will this put an end to the Moon Base nonsense?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

They should release a torrent divided in hundreds of pics worth a few hundreds MB each...

That would do it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I have the space, but I see no reason to download it all. It is not to the resolution of the LRO.

Is it because it is not American give it more validity? Like you will get more disclosure from China and Russia? Is that the thought process going on here?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

oh my god (self)

this is really good ay, THIS is gonna make or break the "life on moon" saga
800 friggen gigabytes is gonna be some sweet a** resolution. not the best but ALOT better than previous.

does anyone know if this is available to buy on cd's or somthing ? i move around alot and only have mobile broadband

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

absolutly - no need to download a cgi map from china...i remember their first pictures and they looked 100% cgi & for all the people who think there is a conspircy - this conspiracy has to be so big that even china is involved = no "real" images from them...

lol - just one look at the image and all i see is crappy b/w ...clementine - nuff said
edit on 6-2-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
that is an epic size file, i wish i had the ability to split it up and down load a few files here and there just to see it as close and high detail as these images promise to be.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I was about to... then I remembered what a GB is...

Unfortunatly for you this will probobly make more people interested in it...and more will look for moon base pics.

i remember when gb was considered huge and a large video game required 31/2 floppy disks.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I dont think so.

The scientists also made some adjustments to the original data to more accurately reflect the topographic and geomorphologic features of the moon

According to this link timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BulletShogun

the fact that you remember when pc games were on floppy disks is amazing, too many people i talk to these days couldn't tell you what a floppy disk was, most think that it is something ..um dirty...lol..

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimsongod21
reply to post by BulletShogun

the fact that you remember when pc games were on floppy disks is amazing, too many people i talk to these days couldn't tell you what a floppy disk was, most think that it is something ..um dirty...lol..

i remember the first game i played too. wolf3d. and the cheatcode for all 3 guns and 99 bullets LIM

i havnt played than game since i was 7. I turn 21 saturday

link   
there's also an article on the link that china wants to put men on the moon by 2030.

just think about that. they are 60 years behind what the united states did with obsolete 60's technology and what russia failed to do.

make what you will about the moon landing being hoaxed as cold war propaganda.

link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

I talk to people that never had a vinyl record album. Still better fidelity than digital.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
there's also an article on the link that china wants to put men on the moon by 2030.

just think about that. they are 60 years behind what the united states did with obsolete 60's technology and what russia failed to do.

make what you will about the moon landing being hoaxed as cold war propaganda.

anyone remember the fake moon landing conspiracy?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This might take a bite out of Hoagland's wallet.....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by boncho

They should release a torrent divided in hundreds of pics worth a few hundreds MB each...

That would do it.

hic They should print it out and cut it into squares and hand ten grand small squares of paper to the government of Japan, so the school children of Japan fold a crane of this lunar paper! hic From China to the land of the Rising Sun, the Moon reflects a shared friendship. hic Or not. What do I care?

But I like your idea, I'd kinda wanna know the dimensions of certain landmarks for interpreting tomorrows science fiction. The torrent could do that, diffusion of responsibility in lunar exploration.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by boncho

That would do it.

According to a Xinhua news story from Sunday, the Chinese Academy of Sciences is making the data available, in a limited way anyway, to the public. Chinese lunar exploration program chief scientist Ouyang Ziyuan is quoted as saying: "The money used for the Chang'e project comes from the taxpayers and, therefore, the data should also be made public. Any scientist or astronomy lover can apply to the state in accordance with certain procedures to obtain data he needs.

It seems it will be a limited release. Although there is a good chance it will make its way to other nations through file sharing.

Source

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

We've gone from floppy disks to erect USB sticks, however the size continues to decrease.

2nd ___

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShackleford3

We've gone from floppy disks to erect USB sticks, however the size continues to decrease.

2nd ___

remember what came before floppy disk? giant floppy disk about 5 inches wide.

now my sim card in my cell had 32 gigs

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BulletShogun

Originally posted by RustyShackleford3

2nd ___

remember what came before floppy disk? giant floppy disk about 5 inches wide.
V
now my sim card in my cell had 32 gigs

Remember the sinclaire spectrum? You had to load games from a cassette tape. Now that was gaming at its best.
edit on 6-2-2012 by NoNameBrand because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join