It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halftime in America' ad creates political debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Halftime in America' ad creates political debate

www.cbsnews.com

People rarely pick a fight with Dirty Harry. But Chrysler's "Halftime in America" ad featuring quintessential tough guy Clint Eastwood has generated fierce debate about whether it accurately portrays the country's most economically distressed city or amounts to a campaign ad for President Barack Obama and the auto bailouts.
Conservatives, including GOP strategist Karl Rove, criticized the ad as a not-so-thinly veiled endorsement of the federal government's auto industry bailouts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It seems that not much in America can be done without it turning into a political debate, fairly or not.

I'll admit that I could see why they would think this is a thinly veiled endorsement of bailouts, even from a man who denounced any form of bailouts for banks or auto companies just a few months ago, Eastwood.

I know more than a few people that compared this commercial to the commercials BP puts out lately, trying to show how they 'fixed' the spill.

I don't really have an opinion on it either way, but there's more than a few well known talking heads going at it.

Here's the spot, if you haven't seen it yet.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-2-2012 by Destiny Of Souls because: youtube embed

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I doubt he did the commercial for anything else than a paycheck. Eastwood is a pretty staunch libertarian, so I really don't think he did it as an endorsement of economic statism.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
I doubt he did the commercial for anything else than a paycheck. Eastwood is a pretty staunch libertarian, so I really don't think he did it as an endorsement of economic statism.

Exactly.

But you know how the media loves to spin anything either to the left or right.

Gotta have a story, right?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I read the Obama hints all the way through it, I even posted my thoughts about it in another thread today, glad someone else is picking up on it. It makes me wonder about how they seem to be injecting these ideas into our subconcious minds. Is this going to be the new platform they use during the next elections. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I did not see the add being for Detroit. I thought it was the first I have seen coming from the Obama campain, I thought it was obvious, and was surprised to find it was about Dodge and friends. But on the other hand, it seemed like a good amount of the commercials during the game were propagandaish. Pretty scary, and the worse part is, how do you put a stop to something like that. The government pushing their agenda through commercials that are supposed to be advertising something else. Not good if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Destiny Of Souls

All GM commercials are supportive and promoting of the Bailout. I don't think Cadillac for instance has done a commercial outside of Detroit since they were funded by the Government. When funded by the government, you support the government. I don't think Eastwood had anything to do with it, he didn't write the commercial, and the commercials have been the exact same since the bailouts. I do find it to be a slap in the face that with the billions we gave GM they blew an enormous amount on super bowl ads.

Personally I'd never buy a GM on principle; You take from the people to support your failed business, yet still offer us over priced pieces of !@$! while claiming moral superiority? Disgraceful. And any intelligent person knows Detroit is a crime riddled crap hole that no sane person would ever venture to move to. Much of the auto-industries manufacturing has fled, only the corporate offices remain and how long will they stay?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I think the ad is an inspiring tribute to Detroit and its toughness and endurance.

People who were and are against the auto bailouts are going to try to suppress any positive expression of its success.

The comeback of the auto industry IS in large part due to President Obama. Are we supposed to censor everything that is happening in this country that is good just because some of it might reflect well on the president?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I find it baffling that a commercial filmed in New Orleans, such as this one was, is being used as a tribute to Detroit. Was Detroit all out of permits for that day?

join