It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hey, I was just out stargazing and saw the usual nighttime suspects. The moon, Venus, Jupiter, Betelgeuse, Sirius, etc. I was viewing the moon as of 7 PM on the east coast and then looked over a bit left of that (I think the direction would be North? ) . I saw a red colored light in the sky like of like Betelgeuse but a bit bigger. I thought "Well, it's probably an airplane or something" but it didn't move the entire time and stayed in the same position. Next I thought "Well, maybe it's just Mars rising" but then it dawned on me that it's a couple hours too early for that.

What other bright objects rise in the northern sky about this time? What star could it be? I tried looking on Stellarium, but nothing really stuck out like a sore thumb to me that was identifiable enough.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Could have been a satelite...

Second.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
East coast of where?

I would have suggested Stellarium, but its great you've done that! Star just for that!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
No it was not a satellite, they tend to move pretty quick. I don't know maybe you can give a constellation of where this light is. And then I could try to identify it with my scope or star walk on my iPad. Otherwise I would say its Pollux which is a bright star.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Enemyc0mbatant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
East coast of the United States in Pennsylvania. I'll try to check the constellation on Stellarium here. If I were to take a guess, I'd say it was in the Ursa Major area. In the patch of sky to the left of the moon. Ursa Major is the closest location guess I've got offhand.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Sorry for the double post but just an update: I just checked now at 9:11 PM and it's in the exact same place as it was before which is a bit odd. I don't think it's one of those blinkers on a tower or anything because it's too high up and it's something I've never seen in that patch of sky before. If you stand and the moon is slightly above and to the right of you, look straight on at the sky and if it's really a body in the sky then it should be visible by there looking straight ahead with the moon slightly to your right.

EDIT: Nevermind, the object now is Mars. Discount this post. It's the right time of night and the right size/color and location. I still have no idea what I saw earlier though because Mars is just now up and what I saw was up two hours ago.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Myomistress because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Sorry, forgot to get a chance to check Stellarium for you. Top marks on debunking your own thread! Awesome of you not to scream ufo as well!

Lets clone this guy!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys

Sorry, forgot to get a chance to check Stellarium for you. Top marks on debunking your own thread! Awesome of you not to scream ufo as well!

Lets clone this guy!

Gal.
Second line.

top topics

join