It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Theory on the Feeling of Being Watched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Hey, my first thread. Please forgive me if I am not quick to respond as my posting time is limited. I did a search for this and I could not find anything similar and wondered if anyone has made this connection before.

Before I go on I want to say that I do believe in ghosts. I've experienced too much to say otherwise. To be honest as a person who falls on the logical side that was really quite hard to get to. I'm not saying that all of what I experienced was paranormal but far too many just had no other explanation no matter how hard I searched or tried to find one. However, I do think that 98% of reported paranormal phenomenon are hoaxes, garbage, misunderstanding and the like and can be explained away rationally.

The theory: I think insects might be to blame for a majority of the cases where people feel like they are being watched.

Recently my brother came to visit. After a few hours the discussion turned to ghosts and he asked did I experience anything new lately. A fairly common question we'd ask each other. He then went on to say how in certain rooms of his house the garage and one other he always felt like he was being watched. Half jokingly I said "Well it feels like something has been watching me tonight. Something has been staring a hole through my back." He smirked and said "you to?". We both turned around and I was in the process of getting up and this huge moth, at least that's what I think it was, took off from the center of the wall and darted across the room. I know this thing wasn't flying around it was too big to miss but the color allowed it to blend in with the wall really well.

That got me to thinking. That moth was probably there for a good chunk of time. Could that have been the cause of that feeling? Then I began to relate other times when I have felt like that. I know several times with that feeling I'd turn around and see a spider way too close behind my head for comfort.

We know that some insects give off low frequency sounds and although inaudible to the human ear perhaps it is picked up unconsciously. It is possible that some other mechanism may be at play like vibrations etc.

If you think about it most of the times haunted locations are abandoned and prone to large amounts of insect life and even everyday homes can get their fair share. This would also explain away why it is not constant. Quite simply the insect moved on or maybe the person was more sensitive at that previous time. It could also explain the feeling of a foreign presence in a room. I grew up in what I believed to be haunted house that was pretty scary at times so I know the feeling of "being watched" when compared to that of a haunting and this had that same feeling.

I know this doesn't explain away all cases. So I will ask have any of you ever felt like you were ever being watched and discovered an insect nearby?
edit on 6-2-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There's always an insect nearby. They're everywhere. If your theory was correct, everyone would feel watched pretty much all the time.
2nd

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I thought of that as well and that may not necessarily be the case. Perhaps there are certain conditions that must be met. The state of ones mind, sensitivities of the subject, types of insects, the type of emission, proximity, atmospheric conditions, obstacles and more. It may not evoke the same response all the time and maybe we do constantly pick it up but it is filtered out.

You can also think of it this way. If I drop a penny several feet away from you you may hear it depending on how well you are paying attention. If you are lost in thought you may ignore. Now, even if you do hear let's say I start smashing things with a hammer and yelling. Chances are even if that penny is dropped a thousand times next to you you wont hear it. Now in the right set of circumstances like between yells and smash time you might hear the
penny drop.

I wanted to add to this as well that it need not be constant. Maybe all it takes is one shot and the brain interprets it in a flight or fight response and it lingers for a few minutes. Much in the same way when something is crawling on you and then you feel itchy for a little while later. Even though that is self generated the same might be said about the reaction we have. It happened only once but the subconscious mind keeps generating these feelings and thoughts.

join