It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Calls for International Syria Coalition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

The United States on Sunday proposed an international coalition to support Syria’s opposition, The Associated Press reported.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

Syria is weeks, maybe days, from an all out Civil War. 6000+ have been determined killed by UN investigators and regional reporters.. I'm no fan of NATO military intervention, but I think deployment in their cities will either scare them straight or make the Syrian army come out of the wood-work and fight fire with fire; not bullets vs innocent protestors.

I know... I know.. We don't know the whole story, but.. International intervention must be propped.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Russia and China's decision to veto a resolution at the UN the other day was bad news for Syrian protestors. Looks like the violence will be allowed to continue, for now.

Not surprising, though. It would be hypocritical of China to pass a resolution against Syria while Chinese forces are murdering protestors in Beijing. As for Russia, they are hardly an honest broker...

If events in Syria are unfolding as we are told, then I fully support international coordination against the Assad regime.
edit on 6-2-2012 by ClydeFrog42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Again NATO is training and supporting one side in a civil war which is conducting terror attacks against a foreign government and civilians. Propaganda is coming from the usual sources. Most prominent is the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. The SOfHR is one of those phony groups which are sponsored by the National Endowment for Democracy. For me this sponsorship alone is enough to discredit this organization.

Meanwhile, the report of the Arab League's fact-finding mission is mostly ignored by the west and the Arab League member states. Here is a short extract from an article wrtitten by Pepe Escobar for the Asia Times online.

...So the report was either ignored (by Western corporate media) or mercilessly destroyed - by Arab media, virtually all of it financed by either the House of Saud or Qatar. It was not even discussed - because it was prevented by the GCC from being translated from Arabic into English and published in the Arab League's website.

Until it was leaked. The report is adamant. There was no organized, lethal repression by the Syrian government against peaceful protesters. Instead, the report points to shady armed gangs as responsible for hundreds of deaths among Syrian civilians, and over one thousand among the Syrian army, using lethal tactics such as bombing of civilian buses, bombing of trains carrying diesel oil, bombing of police buses and bombing of bridges and pipelines.

www.atimes.com...

But since such a report can be interpreted differently, I recommend reading the report (9 pgs are important)
www.columbia.edu...

While the western journalists, public and politicians are convinced, that international intervention is necessary, the Syrians don't share this view. Whatever grievances the Syrian people have with their dictatorial government, the majority of Syrians is still backing the Assad-regime. Even more don't want any foreign intervention.

Arabs want Syria's President Assad to go - opinion poll

Although the majority of Arabs believe Syria’s President Basher al-Assad should resign in the wake of the regime’s brutal treatment of protesters, fewer Syrians are supportive of an immediate leadership change.

According to the latest opinion poll commissioned by The Doha Debates, Syrians are more supportive of their president with 55% not wanting him to resign. One of the main reasons given by those wanting the president to stay in power was fear for the future of the country.

www.thedohadebates.com...

See also:

Most Syrians back President Assad, but you'd never know from western media
www.guardian.co.uk...

What Is Really Going On In Syria: Insider Update
by Boris Dolgov

In this article Boris Dolgov, a member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Oriental Studies in Moscow, reports on his recent trip to Syria. His field investigation is particularly valuable since most of the information about Syria in recent months has emanated from Beirut, Paris or London. Professor Dolgov confirms that, far from a contrived "Arab Spring" scenario, Syria is undeniably grappling with the threat of foreign occupation. He observes that while the offensive is inordinately violent, the population will not be intimidated. Aware of the disaster wrought by NATO "humanitarian" operations in Yugoslavia and Libya, the Syrians refuse to be drawn into a sectarian ambush. A process of reform and development is on track, but it will not be dictated from abroad. In Syria, one may object to the president, but not to national sovereignty.

www.voltairenet.org...

join