It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you expect? The world of ATS is not free.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Yes, I don't agree with the blocking of 'that' website.

Well see, here's the thing. ATS is a user content driven site. But it's not just fantasy land, even though it tends to dip into that area a lot. There is an expectation of quality that goes with the ATS brand name. Allowing material to be linked from know hoax sites (I believe is technically against the T&C to begin with) would tarnish the reputation of the site.

Or, do you really want this to be infowars part 2?

I get where you are coming from, but I find it a strange and almost an incoherent rant, I'm not sure if you are voicing support for the site enforcing it's rules, or are complaining about a specific case of them doing this, or both.

Anyways, a good chunk of what you said makes a lot of sense. About the ads though, yes, it IS in the T&C that you can not use adblocking software when visiting the site. This is about the only rule I really disagree with as it's a massive security breach. Any system touched by me usually has adblocking and scriptblocking enabled, and as of lately, I'm using a sandboxed virtual linux machine browser built by, i believe, the german government.

So when visiting ATS, I use firefox with script blocked, but ads enabled, to pacify the site rules even though it in no way means I'm ever clicking a link from an ad, ever. I've seen this happen to too many sites, advertiser 3rd party or a rouge firm plasters malware all over the site.

But no where in the rule does it say you have to click the links, in fact, i don't think it even suggests it. It doesn't hurt to click a "safe" one every few visits, but it's not mandatory.

I'd suggest a donation feature or a merchandising system with mugs and t-shirts, which are quite easy to have done up custom in bulk. I'd wear an ATS shirt with the right slogan on it, and would feel better about that than taking my life into my own hands clicking ad links

edit on 7-2-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join