It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF Communications

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I am interested in sharing what I have, but what do you plan to use in a SHTF scenario?

I currently keep a 6m Ham radio, 5 Motorola JT1000's (Field Programmable, 1 VHF, 4 UHF, all CTCSS to access phones on frequencies) 2 Marine VHF portables, 2 Marine VHF mobiles, 1 PRIC19 backpack......
A mobile repeater which was a pain to set up non FCC. I keep with the idea Command, Control, Communications. If you can't communicate with each other you are doomed, if you can't keep control you are doomed, if you can't command you are doomed. You are really SOL if you can't communicate with others, government remnants.... I was thinking what would be the channel to reach out on a ham signal, looking to boost the amps, but hey at least I know my Silverado will survive the apocalypse
What would you have?

29INFDIV

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I have recently bought a Yaesu VX-6R submersible HT
It has broad scanning capabilities and can also go from tri to quad if needed.
Of course that would void the manufacturers warranty

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I have a couple modded VX-8DRs and a varied collection of antennas.

I'm looking for something similar for SSB LF bands.

I'm also a good way through building a module that turns a multi band handheld into a repeater with a long range optical reciever (NIR). I'm kind of paranoid about transmitting rf from my location during many of the SHTF situations so I figure the optical uplink is the way to go. I design opto-electronic equipment on a regular basis so one of my goals is to do it with off the shelf components and hopefully post the design for everyone here.

Nice collection of gear by the way. Thanks for the thread and reminding me to get back on that project. Another one I'm trying to get done is a set of secure, independent, texting transceivers based on the AC4790LR modules. I've used them for several other projects and they are amazing. They are tiny 900Mhz digital, spread spectrum transceivers with built in encryption, networking, repeater functionality, etc, etc, etc. I've had tremendous success with them and figure they are perfect for personal secure comms. If it goes well I may try using ADCs and DACs to upgrade them to voice but that's a whole other technical level that I'm not sure I can justify spending a lot of hobby time on getting right.

edit on 6-2-2012 by dainoyfb because: I typo'd

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
My team and I have developed our own Morse code, that seems to be the best for us. We are also toying with the idea of using pigeons.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 29INFDIV

I like that you bring communications to the table, I also thought about this. Also to add we maybe should come up with what we will be saying to find each other, how we broadcast so we know who is to be trusted.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshF
My team and I have developed our own Morse code, that seems to be the best for us. We are also toying with the idea of using pigeons.

Morse code is good for a small group but keep in mind its always good to find others and not everyone knows morse code. If my situation forces me to abandon my home area I will hope to find a small community but they and myself will need to communicate letting each other know we are not the enemy/

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I have a droidX.
With this I can communicate with all on my team and when the (insert bad thing here) happens, I still got solitare and that cool bomb game.
Well that and some little Motorola radios.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

Why would i want to find others?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
smoke signals
floatation devices like balloons with lights on the in the air BUT NOT NEAR OUTPOST
NOISE COMS FROM GUNS WITH DATA CODED in bullets fired and pauses
some form of dye let into water non toxic that will flow downstream
trained passenger pigeons/hawks or any other bird that can be trained sent with letters
just a few these are considering EMP massive or CME massive or Earth generated energy GIA burst agitated from nearby catalyst of some form
edit on 2/7/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yes I have a nice scanner as well.

The problem I have with this in the SHTF scenerio is the fact that all these can be detected by overhead drones.

Any reciever scanning frequncies is capable of being pinpoint by overhead intel gathering equipment.

I love my scanner and have a couple of handheld portables which transmit on similar frequncies.

Enough for me and my family in case of emergencies.

Still working on the solar recharger. Need to aquire for recharging usb. Once I have the usb solar charger Im all set.

In the SHTF ever happens I will be more concerned on the local police being able to keep up with the local crime.

If things went easy the bad would be taken out quickly and just the survivers would be living off the land. While the other try to kill themselves stealing from eachother.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

o you and your small community want to reject every person or community, you want to not aide and assist each either in times of need and then as time passes regrowth, ok got ya.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
reply to post by JoshF

o you and your small community want to reject every person or community, you want to not aide and assist each either in times of need and then as time passes regrowth, ok got ya.

Did i say any of that? Man, the people on this forum have entire conversations with themselves.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zsezse
Whats the difference between Barney Frank and a refridgerator? A refridgerator doesn't fart when you take the meat out. philipnute com

Your site makes about as much sense as your post

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I have HF, VHF and UHF in the car. But in case of SHTF probably just listen. What is there to talk about?

I got food, here is where I am...

I also have a big solar charger.

And I drive a FORD.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

My silverado survived the apocalypse didn't you know? (Sarcasm), the thing is the ability to communicate if need to. At the same token know where people are living.

29INFDIV

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

I agree to you with the sentiment to know who is out there (listening) and being able to transmit when there is an emergency. In SHTF scenario local law is unreliable, then what? Having the ability to transmit to them or darwinism?

29INFDIV

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Do you have the ability to launch a balloon, drop dye for everyone to see, waste ammo on coded bursts? Whose to say there aren't shielded electronics from such things or trunks to keep such equipment from being degraded from an Emp...etc.....???

29INFDIV

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

Why wouldn't you? Many different probabilities, if you don't want to find others stop posting. We don't want to find you, only others that are like minded. Survival.

29INFDIV

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

If I kept a cell device after the SHTF scenario without seriously upgrading firmware and software, I'd be in trouble.

29INFDIV

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join